EARL CAMPBELL SAID A BUNCH OF CRAZY **** YESTERDAY

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

No he can’t. He may be the greatest football player ever to play at Texas but that doesn’t give him the right to flat out make racist statements. On the record, off the record or whatever the conversation was between him and Bohls, he has to realize anything he says is fair game for public consumption. I lived in Tyler for a long time. He is revered there as he should be. I’ve got more things autographed by Earl than any other athlete. I’m of the opinion he is one of the most genuine people you’ll ever meet. Nevertheless, as a person in the position he holds, you just can’t say stuff like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

It's sad that, in today's world, anybody can say anything and they know about it on the space station. Then everybody takes a side. Maybe Earl shouldn't have said it, but he did, but it's still Earl Campbell, Texas Legend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^...Johnny Football, Fran Tarkington, Roger Staubach, Tony Romo (till he got hurt), Mahomes, Michale Vick, VY, etc. No doubt mobility at the QB position helps a team win.

Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, Joe Montana also really good and none are that mobil. I wouldn't say Russel Wilson is a great scrambler; or Steve Mcnair, or Warren Moon, also successful on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

My point is he is allowed an opinion. Sine it is Earl we should really listen. That dude knows football locker rooms.
    People should be allowed to voice opinions and not freak other people out. I don't agree with it. It isn't backed up by facts. It doesn't make sense but.......

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I cannot hate Earl Campbell, no matter what

You know how the neighbors of the serial murderers always say, "He was a nice, quiet guy, always waved back at us and he was kind to dogs, children and old people." I am one of those neighbors when it comes to Big Earl.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I can only love Earl Campbell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Earl, like each of us, can say whatever he wants to say. But we are all responsible for the consequences of our statements. I get it that Earl meant no harm but that’s irrelevant.

Had a white hall-of-famer made the same type of ignorant and racist statement, his life and legacy would be destroyed, and I guarantee you that there would be a firestorm for the school to scrub any association — including statues — with that former player.

Creek, this also troubles me:

“That dude knows football locker rooms.”

Not to pick a fight but do you think that the LSU players give a crap that Joe Burrow is white, that the Clemson players care that Trevor Lawrence is white, that the Patriots players care that Tom Brady is white?

Honestly Earl, what in the world were you thinking?

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah that Colt McCoy sucked as a runner and never won any big games while he was here...

That can excuse some things, but sometimes it still reveals what someone truly believes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. zuckercanyon

Holy Cow, check out non-white qbs and the speed which befuddles/drains defenses....leave Earl alone, most of us grew up when you could say stuff and the world didn't know it....let these kids eat each other on line...

11. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Earl can say what he wants, just like anybody else. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with him. I think we need a Gideon in the defensive backfield to line the defense up.
    So what?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I wonder if anyone will tell Earl that two white QBs will be facing off in the NC game, and that the teams lead by his prototypical mobile AA QBs yesterday both lost.

Further, the leading rusher among QBs in the games yesterday was (I believe) Lawrence, and tall, lanky white QB.

Skin color shouldn’t matter, and it doesn’t. Sadly, Earl made it an issue last month when he made his ill-advised and insight lacking comments.

• Hot Hot x 2
  13. zuckercanyon

Dave Chappelle just called, DS, and said "White Power"..... ;)

14. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I’ve had to open mouth insert foot before but never to a journalist. Earl shouldn’t have said it and maybe he regrets it. I’m sure growing up in Tyler in the 60’s and 70’s shaped how he feels. I forgive Earl. There’s too much to love about him as a person to let something he said at almost 65 years old and in his condition with arthritis, CTE, or who knows what else he may have affect the way I feel about him. My Dad says some offbeat things these days and we have to shrug it off. I think Earl deserves that too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I agree,
    besides, men shouldn't get offended.

16. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I can't bag on Earl. The guy is the same age as me, I know a lot of guys I played with (I didn't play college ball) are hooked on pain killers and it reshaped their personalities. Earl never was a racist or had those tendencies. I really feel for the guy as well as MANY that are in his shoes dealing with pain on a daily basis.

The older I get the more thankful I am that my aches and pains don't require medicinal supplementation of any type. I read where Sabre said he walks with a cain (if I'm wrong on that, I'm glad- hope he's in excellent health). That really hits home. Football at the levels played above my capability take a toll. Those dudes get a bye (from me) on comments like Earl made

• Like Like x 1
  17. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I agree with Earl 100% but in am in favor of of taking a step further and having an All American Stereotype team.

-Black mobile QB who can outrun everyone and save his white mediocre HCs job every weekend.
    -White, heady, receivers who run perfect routes
    -Nigerian running backs and linebackers
    -Tongan tight ends and defensive tackles
    -Crazy white guys with long stringy hair at DE
    -Fat guys of every stripe on the OL. Rednecks, Mexicans, black guys. I don’t care they just have to be fat, sweaty, and mean.
    - A white free safety who never makes the play but makes sure the rest of the secondary is lined up right
    -African American DBs who can make all the the plays but only if a white guy tells them where to line up.
    -Asian place kickers because they math real good
    -Australian punters
    -Mexican kick / punt returners
    - LGBTQ centers

Did I leave anyone out? If I did not offend, sorry

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. zuckercanyon

I guess you have to have a certain makeup to allow another man to put his hands under your butt while you give him the ball...

19. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

your wife might have an issue with that

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. zuckercanyon

Has anyone told Earl?

21. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I won't tell him.

22. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Bohls tried to entrap both Herman and Ehlinger with the similarity with Utah and "the Georgia team did not want to be here." Both ducked expertly by essentially saying, "I do not know, ask them (dunderhead)."

23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Bohls’ question was completely appropriate.

For Herman the question was like a hanging curveball: “Kirk, we can only worry about Texas. But perhaps Utah, instead of being disappointed, sees the Alamo Bowl as an opportunity to prove that they were worthy of their ranking, regardless of what happened in their championship game.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

where does the starving etherinopian fit in...after all, StarvinMarvin can't play RB or LB...

Or is he the football?