Early Mock Draft Has Bijan Going to Bills at 29

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stanhin, Jan 20, 2023.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I have a feeling that no matter where he lands, that team will have a few million new followers this coming season. I will certainly be one of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

3. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

From NFL.com--
    "Respect for Bijan: Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson Jr. is among the most decorated prospects at the combine and a candidate to be one of the first players selected this year. He recorded 34.5 sacks, 62 tackles for loss and even a pick-six over three brilliant seasons with the Crimson Tide, who won a national championship his freshman year and lost in the title game his sophomore campaign.

Anderson's nickname is "The Terminator," so called for his fearless, relentless rush style. So, when Anderson was asked Wednesday to name the toughest opponent he faced in college, media ears perked up.

And his answer -- after mulling it over for a few moments -- was a bit surprising to me and definitely enlightening: Texas running back Bijan Robinson.

"(Robinson) was a big back," Anderson said. "We had to gang tackle him. We had to get all hats to the ball."

What's surprising about it has less to do with Robinson himself and more about the fact that Anderson picked a skill-position player and not, say, a massive offensive tackle. And not even an SEC player, to boot.

Robinson nearly led an upset of the Tide last season, accumulating 130 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown in Alabama's eventual 20-19 victory on Sept. 10. Although Robinson was held to 2.7 yards per carry -- Anderson explained Alabama sold out to stop the run – Robinson still managed to catch three passes for 73 yards in the game.

"We knew (Robinson) was going to break a few tackles," Anderson said. "We knew we had to tackle him the right way. But he was probably the toughest I faced."

Teams often are hesitant to use high picks on running backs, but if other players heap praise on Robinson the way Anderson did, the Longhorns back should do well for himself come April."

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

At least you can see the sky there when it's not cloudy. And you don't have to deal with Californians.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  5. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The psychology and calculations affecting the selection process is an interesting study in human nature, and frequent — and expensive — miscalculations. A complicated chess game that’s fun to watch, and very stressful for the teams.

I am beginning to think that Bijan will be a Top 10 pick. Maybe even the Bears as someone mentioned on ESPN recently. Or the Eagles. Nothing would surprise me. BR is a generational talent, but also an unusually humble and high caliber individual. The kind of player the NFL likes to feature. “A face of the league.”

What I didn’t know until recently (although it doesn’t surprise me) is that Bijan’s player role model is Barry Sanders. We can certainly see why. In addition to the on-field similarities, maybe because of social shyness (or maybe because his father had an influence, not always fully supporting him), Barry stayed away from the limelight. Talk about humility.

When asked at the combine if he had ever met Barry, Bijan’s surprising answer was no. If he stays healthy, I do believe BR has a chance to be the next Barry Sanders, or close.

While I’m not a big fan of NFL football, I will be this coming fall. And frankly, I can’t wait to watch the draft. As I have said before, whatever team is fortunate enough to select him will have a new fan.

My only regret is that Bijan was never invited to New York, and he didn’t win a Heisman. What a sham. No one can convince me that he was not the best player in the country, probably both last year and in 21.

• Like Like x 3