Eligibility

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by mars, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mars

mars 100+ Posts

From what I understand, the clearinghouse is still reviewing the cases of both Jordan Hamilton and J'Covan Brown and UT hopes that both will be cleared by the start of the second summer session, which begins Monday. Does anyone have any info on either of these two guys? Can neither report to Austin if they haven't been officially cleared? Can they not report until Fall if they aren't enrolled in summer school?

2. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

I would be shocked if J'Covan is cleared before the start of the second summer session --- which doesn't mean it won't happen.

The way it works, from what I understand, is that a kid cannot accept scholarship money until they've been cleared by the clearinghouse. They can stay in UT dorms, but they have to pay for it. I knew at one time, but I can't recall off the top of my head how much they'd have to pay. More than they'd want to. There would probably be some problems in even being admitted into school, since students with scholarships get special dispensation whether the scholarship is athletic in nature, or some other kind of talent --- e.g. a music scholarship. I'm not sure how admittance would handle a student with Hamilton or Brown's transcript if they weren't on scholarship.

So that's the difficulty. In addition, I think there are restrictions on how much "official" time they can spend with the team. For all I know they can participate in student run workouts or pick up games, but I don't think they'd be able to have regular contact with the staff for basketball related workouts until they're actually enrolled in school.

I'm assuming you're right on the dates. If so, the Hamilton stuff would have to come down pretty quickly. Logistically it just seems like it would be tough to suddenly move across the country even if he's anticipating possible good news the closer we get to Monday without hearing anything one way or another.

And, yeah. They wouldn't be able to truly "report" unless they're enrolled --- i.e. on scholarship. I would think they might be able to do some correspondence classes, so that could be a workaround, but I don't know how that would work.

I hope that helps.

3. mars

mars 100+ Posts

Thanks, SL, that does help some. I guess it just confirms what I already knew. I guess my main question is if either of those two get cleared after Monday and before the fall semester, can they come to UT and live in the dorms, or do they have to wait until they actually start taking classes?

4. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

I'm thinking they could do some kind of workaround by enrolling them in correspondence classes, but I'm mostly talking out of my butt in that regard.

I'm sure Monday isn't a hard and fast date, just a preferred one. If they were able to enroll in class by Tuesday, for example, it might be workable. Summer classes are tough to make up if you miss too much time, though, as you know.

The bottom line answer to your question, is that they can live in dorms without being enrolled in school, but it's not a practical consideration. Really, they just need to make it through the clearinghouse so this discussion becomes moot, but we knew that already.

I'm really glad you brought it up, because I hadn't given much thought to how quickly that second summer session is coming up.

5. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

My son is going to Baylor's second session, and it starts Thursday.

6. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

It's this kind of crack news reporting we've come to expect from our favorite Hornfans' moderator.

7. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I do what I can.

8. bassale47

bassale47 1,000+ Posts

The second summer session starts on the 13th but you can enroll until the 16th, so that's one week from tomorrow.

Shawn Williams is already enrolled and on campus, but none of the other three are (Bradley, Hamilton, Brown) according to the UT directory.