Enjoy

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Hookem123, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

your food stamps, I'll continue buying them for you and well now your brother as well, but I still take that over having my hand stuck out like yours.

2. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. " -- de Tocqueville

Isn't that exactly what happened last night, the people voted themselves some "largesse"?

3. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

In my lifetime we've shifted from
    -Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
    TO
    -It's the economy, stupid
    TO
    -It's the free stuff, stupid.

1964, LBJ screwed the country over with the Great Society nonsense. We're western Europe now... . The same type of society that (a) needed us to free them from oppression, (b) is on the brink of fiscal disaster themselves, (c) still dependant on us to "protect" them with our tax dollars.

OK, everybody back to watching football, American Idol, Kardashians and the X Factor.....all's well.

4. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Have to wonder....If Calif, NY, Ill etc go to DC with hat in hand to pay off their debt, why would Red States bother staying in the "union". DC (Dems at the moment) would only pay off as a "payof" for their votes.

Which is why the auto unions, gubmint unions, Latinos, and blacks vote for Dems to begin with.

So my honest question is> at what point do Red States consider secession? At some point they'll tire more of being a piggy bank than the whacko social agendas we're going to have to pay for (come to think of it, much is one and the same).

What's the tipping point?

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Good points Clean

Was it thomas Jefferson who said( paraphrasing) a government big enough to give you stuff is big enough to take what you have.

We are seeing this up close and personal.

NO secession, I really think we can work this out unless BO gives away a ton more
    AND enacts such restrictive coal regulations that unemployment surges
    What was it he said?
    oh yes
    under my plan electricity costs will skyrocket.

we should know right away if he intends to bankrupt to coal industry

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

As bizarre as it may seem, states like Texas get a lot more federal spending than they pay in in taxes, while the opposite happens in NY and Mass. Hell, they may be better off if we do secede.

7. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

Been waiting on ya, 123! Guess you're gonna have to just sit back and enjoy it!

I laugh in your face!
    [​IMG]

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Crock
    ??
    link showing Texas gets more than they send in.
    I know that wasn't true at least up until 2010

so do you have a credible source?

9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Texas is actually right at the 1:1 ratio of received to paid back.

Federal aid is fairly split between red and blue states. On purpose, most likely. They don't want the other side of the aisle whining about their perceived lack of funds.

For all of the whiners stating that Alaska gets twice as much money as they pay in, so does Vermont and New Mexico.

10. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I can't remember the exact statistics but California gets less money back form the Feds than they pay in. Mississippi led the nation in getting more benefits than tax money sent to D.C.

11. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

12. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Was CA involved? Time to take a break my friend. You've become a parody of yourself.

13. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

Here you go Seattle.

SOME American states receive more in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes; others receive less. Over twenty years these fiscal transfers can add up to a sizeable sum. From 1990 to 2009, the federal government spent $1.44 trillion in Virginia but collected less than $850 billion in taxes, a gap of over $590 billion. But relative to the size of its economy, Virginia derived a smaller benefit from America's fiscal union than states like New Mexico, Mississippi and West Virginia, where the 20-year transfer exceeded 200% of their annual GDP. Transfers to Puerto Rico, which is a US territory not a fully incorporated state, exceeded 290%. Where did these transfers come from? New York transferred over $950 billion to the rest of America's fiscal union from 1990 to 2009. But relative to the size of its economy, Delaware made the biggest contribution, equivalent to more than twice its 2009 GDP. These calculations are based on tax figures provided by the Internal Revenue Service (which used to bracket Washington, DC, with Maryland) and federal spending numbers provided by the Census Bureau, which ignores spending on international programmes and interest payments.

[​IMG]

The Link

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

bunch of whinney losers.

15. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

My horses have a pretty nice whinny too!

17. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

18. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

19. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

Was it a flawed unlectable candidate or a failure of the marketing organization? I tend to think the latter.

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

djim
    The interesting thing is that once people got to see Romney in person versus the edited 10 second sound bites and constant negative opining by ' pundits" , once people saw Romeny in person his numbers soared
    look at the rallies the last few days
    but those rallies reached such small numbers compared to the audience MSM had
    There were still women voters who though Romeny would have done away with contraceptives
    and black people who thought Romney wanted to put them in chains.

there will NEVER be a perfect candidate, for either party. BO has his critics in his own party
    but BO didn't have to fight the media.

21. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

22. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

I tend to agree the candidate we saw towards the end of the campaign was an electable one. However, the swing of that candidate from the primary to the general was too great to overcome. That is a marketing strategy problem.

Could the candidate we saw towards the end have won the primary? That's a Republican party problem.

23. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

24. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

The only thing that Romney did wrong was not offer enough "largesse" to the special interest groups. You know, like free birth control and lots of "planned parentlhood" for the Susan Flukes of the world, lots of bail out money for the unions, amnesty for the illegals, Obama phones, etc. etc. etc.

Romney was a very strong candidate, but he was fighting an uphill battle against an incumbent. You remember. Even the The Devil Himself, George W. Bush, crushed John Kerry in '04 at a time when Republicans weren't very popular (see 2006 mid term elections).

25. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

27. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

28. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

30. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts