Enjoying the games

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by wadster, Oct 6, 2019.

1. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Last 2 games, I've been more mad than happy. last week it was special teams mistakes almost did me in. This week the officiating and announcers. But somehow I need to actually enjoy the games and not just want to throw things at the TV. You wait all year for FB season, gotta find ways to enjoy the ride. The throw to Cosbie did help some. I think all of a sudden expecting to win changes things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Same here. I did actually enjoy the LSU game for its entertainment value, but today I was mostly aggravated

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I find myself enjoying this team, even though we’re far from perfect.

A good team, of any kind, is greater than the sum of its parts. This team has that feel to it yes its weak spots but i can see we are close. Just a few pieces away.

I even found myself enjoying watching our defense yesterday even though they gave up a ton of yards.
    Lots of young guys playing and they were far from perfect but I also saw some positives and made some critical plays.
    It is hard for me to watch our defense only because I am afraid for our DB’s health. Every time one makes a tackle I fear anoyher will go to the injury tent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I think every Texas fan feels that way sometimes, it is part and parcel of seeing a team that is getting better but wanting them to get back to the summit now and not have the little bumps and set backs that are a natural part of how a team grows.

This is what I tell myself when I get frustrated and cant enjoy the wins as much as we all should:

This defense is young, its depleted and it is no where near where it needs to be so there are no gimme games against Big XII offenses. Enjoy it when they make great plays and accept that they will make mistakes. Ehlinger is a really good quarterback but he isnt elite and Vince Young is not on the team. He will have off games like yesterday and when the team can endure those off games and still win that is a sign of growth. The 2005 team took years of great recruiting classes to come together, Herman is working toward that with two great classes already but it is going to take a couple of more to get the depth needed to be a truly elite team. Texas is doing what it should on and off the field but to use a coaching term its a process and the process takes time.

• Like Like x 5
  5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

This. I really enjoy watching this team. Mistakes are generally lack of experience, not lack of effort. They play hard. Need an example? Our kicker almost got ejected for targeting. :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I find the best way to watch the game is without phone in hand. Enjoy the game for what it is without commenting on every missed call, botched play or coaching brain fart. Then, after the game is over, go read all the comments for the shear enjoyment factor knowing the outcome. Life was easier and less stressful in the low-tech days.

7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Desperado you make a great point. For the fun of being a part I started watching the game thread but you’re point is valid. I do tend to feed on the neg more than the positive.
    Overall I’ve loved the team and enjoyed the season. With my two favs out, Caden and Collin, it’s been kinda cool picking up on all the new faces. Seeing an ‘uh oh’, right before a ‘wow’, tells me we are heading for an outstanding team. Just hoping they all come together by next week. :clap:
    Oh, and I am soooo excited about getting to see Kirk J in the line up.

8. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Yesterday was less about the play and more about the refs and announcers. Announcers were just atrocious. And there were 2 clear PIs they missed plus the 1st one on us that was BS. The 2 targeting hits that had to be reversed. The unsportsmanship when all our guy was trying to do was get away from their bench. So it just kind of made the entire day frustrating and ruined the tempo of the game, huge difference in how drives completed, etc... Some somehow have to look past all the things we can't control and focus on the outstanding play of some young DBs, huge game from Johnson, and LT getting a career highlight as he blows into the defender at the goal line.

Most important thing is comparing to last year:

OSU - check
    WVU - check
    OU - kick their ***

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Given all the injuries, we are certainly developing depth this year.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Just realized we start conference play with teams we lost to last year.

11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think Ehlinger is close. But he’s a different player than VY. And don’t forget that VY had his struggles — though rare— during the 2005 season.

For example, against TAM that year he ran 11 times for 17 yards, and went 13-24 passing with one int. In fact, that mediocre showing late in the season probably contributed to his not winning the Heisman. He needed to finish strong on national TV and didn’t. (The CCG against Colorado was played after most of the votes had been cast.)

Back to the team, while the performances yesterday and two weeks ago were somewhat disappointing, the difference this year might be that we won both games with less than our best.

While the game yesterday was a nail biter for a while, it certainly wasn’t without its memorable, highlight reel plays, like the lateral pass to Cosmi and the acrobatic interceptions.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What was wrong with the announcers? This was Morgantown, so ABC obviously went down to the holler and were lucky to find two guys that could read on a third grade level. Imagine you are Kirk Johnson, battling injuries for four years & finally get to carry the ball, only to have those baffoons call you Collin and speculate why you aren't at WR.

As for the officiating, stop bitching and start calling and writing. As long as the Big XII doesn't have a Commissioner, and the Walt Anderson mafia is in charge of officiating, the Big XII will NEVER have competent officiating. Walleye Burks is a BigSky Conference reject appointed by Bowelsby and Anderson to be in charge of officials. He was an horrible referee, and a worse supervisor. Wait until you see what they assign this Saturday.

FWIW, when communicating with Bowelsby, the only two qualified refs we have are Cooper Castleberry from Lufkin and Mike Defee from Lumberton. both of whom would take the job.

:hookem2: