Enough already!

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by SAMMCHornfan, Feb 1, 2018.

1. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Put a fork in these teams already when you got the chance! Three free throws and up by four or five and you don’t hit a single one and under two minutes to play to boot. Come on man! Bamba was not too happy. This team is top 25 caliber except for these damn games they keep letting slip through their fingers.

2. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

UT is the worst free throw shooting team in the country! 15 years and counting! It is maddening! If they could only hit 70%, they would win some of these games. Pitiful.

3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Actually, over the past 15 years, there have been a few random teams that could hit free throws.
    2002-03 .721 (26-7 final four)
    2005-06 .727 (30-7 elite eight)
    2006-07 .736 (25-10 round of 32)
    2011-12 .733 (20-14 round of 64)
    2014-15 .724 (20-14 round of 64)

Every other year, however, has been sub .700. We are only decent at free throws one out of every three years. I bring this up because i do remember the years we actually hit them. It was very noticeable compared to the usual terrible free throw shooting years.

So far in the Smart Era we have never had decent free throw shooting:
    2015-16 .666 (20-13 round of 64)
    2016-17 .650 (11-22 no postseason)
    2017-18 .660 (14-8 through Tech game)

What is interesting is the 2014-15 and 2015-16 teams had nearly the same players who managed the same record, but their free throw shooting % dropped significantly from Barnes to Smart.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

They could not have a free throw coach. I have noticed that Sims shoots free throws form his chest, he just throws it up. He uses the same techniques when he shoots during play, that is why he cannot hit anything unless its a dunk. same thng with Ham, he cannot make a free throw with his motion. Please teach them how to shoot FTs.

How many times have we we seen Dylan O have a close in shot bang it off the front of the rim. He needs just a little more elevation.

Texas had the game won and threw it away. Starting at the 2:20 mark, Coleman misses all 3 free throws and then promptly fouls out. Roaches hit hits the first, misses the second FT. Roach throws the ball out of bounds way over Dylan O's head. Young has a 3 point foul when TTU was just throwing the ball up without much of a chance of a goal.

I thought that Bamba's 5th foul was a good call, his hands were not vertical. His 4th foul was not. He was vertical and Evan jumped into him, should have been offensive on Evans.

5. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

This is interesting indeed. Great stat work Htown.:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  6. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

On a positive note: big props to Mo for becoming UT’s season record holder for blocks. As a freshman and with 8 or 9 games left. Big accomplishment.

• Like Like x 1