Equipment question for a curious dad...

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by baseballpadre, Oct 27, 2016.

1. baseballpadre

baseballpadre First Time Poster

Hey there, have a question about the rules pertaining to catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

2. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

At the very least both of those helmets need throat protectors. I dont see anything wrong with that first facemask, you would have to have a enclosed helmet to strap it into and of course add the throat protector. Otherwise what comments were made about regulations

3. hornsfan1026

hornsfan1026 25+ Posts

Rather than accepting some parent's opinion I would go to the coach and ask whether there is some regulation(s) about the "hockey style" mask (I assume that is the one your son wants). The coach should know whether there is a rule either for or against this mask model.

Looks to me like the hockey style mask affords more protection around the ears and top of the head.

But what do I know?

4. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

I was a catcher for a number of years before the new style of helmets came about. I would think that the type of preferred protector depends somewhat on the experience level of the young "man". Until I got the hang-of-it, the worst thing is the bat would hit the catcher's mit once in awhile. I never recalled that a bat hit the side or top of my head. [[ And I played in a lot of games as a catcher. ]]

A foul ball to the side or top of the head means to me that your son has a bad habit of turning his head just before catching the ball. Watch your son because that is a bad habit to get into. At all other times after the pitch, the catcher making some play has to throw the mask far enough away and the style of mask has nothing to do with protection then. From a pragmatic point of view, the heavier helmet is then more likely to get in the way. It was not rare for me to chase a pop-up back to where the mask lie. Then the bigger mask is a hazard and why I would not wear such a bulky thing as long as I was a good catcher with the right kind of habits.

The throat protector sounds like a good thing to have. However, in the case of a foul ball tipped down, the mit is supposed to be in between the bat and where the ball goes. Unless you do not move your body adequately with the pitch placement, the ball will not be tipped back to the throat. Here again, it depends on the experience level of the players. For young kids without good coordination and just starting out who cannot anticipate what the ball will do, they can get hurt in anyway possible. The best and most critical protection for a catcher is the mitt. If you son cannot learn quickly to keep the mitt at the right place with respect the path of the ball, he needs to play another position. That goes even double when it comes down to being hit by the bat. If he plays hurt and cannot move adequately, it is best to start shopping for his grave stone instead. That also goes for a lack of focus and not keeping steady attention to where the ball is being pitched. If your son is the type to pay attention to his girlfriend at a game, he likewise should play in the outfield where it is safer. A good catcher always tends to have the personality to be where the action is located.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Everyone is going to the hockey style these days... NOCSAE approved makes it legal for HS ball.
    and no...the most critical piece of equipment IS NOT the mit..Its the CUP.....