ERCOT & the Corrupt PUC (suck), and Other Energy Policy Stuff

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Feb 15, 2021.

1. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

True. It's a necessity to understand any contract you sign and to understand your liability. With the exception of the precarious nature of the grid, Griddy was pretty transparent about what you were getting at signup. I understood that price spikes up to $9 something per kwh were possible. The August 2019 spikes were what I was considering when I signed up. When the spikes hit during the hottest times of the day, I set my AC at 88F and left until prices came down. Even so, my bill was about $155, which was about 25% more than I would have paid on a fixed rate plan. But I beat the fixed rate solidly every month before and after August 2019 until this month.

2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life 5,000+ Posts

I'm a numbers guy and every time I buy a car I pretty much piss off every salesman and finance guy. They all want to go to "how much do you want to pay a month" and my bottom line is how much am I going to pay for this car all in because I come with a number before I step foot on the lot.

I had a finance guy literally ask me why I preferred 0% interest over a low interest loan combined with deeper car discount. I told him because I've already done the math and it's about $800 cheaper to go with 0% so he proceeded to argue with me. I almost got up and left.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow, in my house 88 would have been tough to take!

4. OUBubba

OUBubba Reluctant and Bullied Sponsor

A liberal like me with a bill of $188/month is better off staying on the grid.

5. OUBubba

The “what kind of payment do you want?” question irritates me as well.

6. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 250+ Posts

Too hard to answer, are you financing the purchase? How many panels are you adding? Let's say you pay cash for your panels and you start feeding the grid. During peak sunlight the panels will be running your house while maybe adding a little back to the grid on top of the savings you are getting. You might end up with about 10 bucks of payment from the Electric company while saving about 100 off your bill. Now lets look at what you get if you finance. the difference is that your panels cost you about $120 per month and save you about $110 per month, so you are paying about 10 bucks net per month for your panels. The saving comes of course when you pay off the panels and then that savings kicks in. As a short term investment, Panels are a bad investment, however if you look at them over 30 years you see the savings.

Depends on what you value. I personally value having a power source if the rest of the grid is down. I like the control it gives me. So for me, a staunch anti-government guy, I welcome the extra payment for the independence they provide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

That’s car selling 101. Not sure why people are offended by it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I see it as car financing 101. For people who are not buying the car outriright it is and should be an integral question.

9. OUBubba

Oh, I get that part. But, when I say "I'm going to finance through my credit union" I just want to talk about the actual price and I get push back it's irritating.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. OUBubba

I'm not agin it. Having done zero research on this, my perception was that the life span of the panels wouldn't be as long as they obviously are. That's interesting. I may look at that if I move again if we downsize a little when the kids are all gone.

11. mb227

mb227 2,500+ Posts

Yep...had a vehicle I was looking at a few years ago and had gotten where I thought I needed to be with the sales person. But it got to the point where she had to go get the weasel from the glass tower and, despite my having told her that if weasel came out with the four-box crap, I was leaving. You can guess what glass tower weasel did...

I walked. I was quite surprised when I got an email from the guy who had his name on the sign outside later that day. Despite that email, I still elected not to make the purchase. I was not going to reward middle-management who clearly didn't listen to or respect either their sales staff or their customers...

• Like Like x 1
  12. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Why should they respect you? They have none for themselves

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 5,000+ Posts

I also find these stupid games annoying. The last two times I bought a car, when I made my counter-offer and the salesman said: "I've got to check with my manager", I told him "Ok, I'm coming with you to talk with him and you together. There's nothing you can say to him, or he can say to you, that can't be said in my presence." That took them aback, but I insisted and went back there. The manager ultimately approved my counter each time.

Also, I'm the sort of person that likes to get the extended warranty (for peace of mind). When you let them know you'll take the extended warranty, they don't mind your not financing through them so much--as they must get a commission or cut of the extended warranty.

Oh yeah, and ERCOT still sucks...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mb
    You actually walking was probably such a rare occurrence they probably had a meeting after lunch on it.
    I do have sympathy for the sales people who are just trying to make a living.

Has anyone bought a car online? Is it easier?

15. OUBubba

They've gotta make a living. One of my fraternity brothers is there now. He's a chef who's gotta have something to do to ride out the pandemic.

16. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I hear you. I have done a lot of work that could charitably be described as self abasement. Self respect is overrated

17. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Only during the day or when I am not there. In the evenings, I would turn it down to 70 F. In the summer, power is usually less than $0.03/kwh in the late evening.

18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Makes more sense now 4th. I do the same with the Nest, which makes adjustments easy and via the internet when away. I don’t do the extreme of 88 to 70, but same principle. My AC guy told me that for a larger house was better to keep a 8’ish or so degree range than to do large fluctuations. He claimed AC unit ran much less than when steep drops were programmed. No idea if he’s right but been doing that ever since and have not been freaked out by elec bills (AC is elect, heat is gas)since following his advice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

6721, I’ve done last three purchases via on line. Only way I want to do it now. Worked great on two, new Rx 350 for wife in 2012 and 2012 911 for me December 2020.
    Third deal was in between those two and I wasn't as successful on it because I really wanted the specific car badly enough I caved and went to dealer to close on it.
    I strongly recommend two things in car buying, online dealing and do more than one dealer when possible, and no matter how you deal, online or not, try to make the deal as close to Dec 30th as possible. Oh yeah, and three, as important as the first two, do your homework on the car and know your $$$ limit, allowing for options/accessories on a particular vehicle and stick to it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I have a brother who runs a car dealership. Honestly, the only way to buy cars.:yippee:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks Nash and iis
    I know I veered off topic but vehicles are energy burners as well as big purchases.

22. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Great idea. Now I just have to convince my brother to purchase a car dealership so I can save some bucks on my next vehicle.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 500+ Posts

There is so much info out there now on car prices that you can use TrueCar, Edmunds, and other websites to basically get the exact price you should be paying for the car when you walk in. A few years back I shopped for a new minivan for the wife at David McDavid Honda in Lewisville, spent half of a Friday night and most of a Saturday morning to get within $500 of where I thought I should be. Frustrated I walked out and went and looked at the same vehicle at John Eagle in Dallas (higher end luxury type dealership). I didn't have to play the "let me talk to my boss" game at all and within 30 minutes they told me up front they couldn't get to my number and actually were $800 higher than DMcD. The manager sat right there beside the sales guy and explained because they weren't a volume dealer they couldn't get to the same number and they understood that $800 would likely lose the deal. I walked out to go back to buy it at DMcD, drove down the street and then turned around and paid $800 more just based on the experience at John Eagle. I'll never know if they pulled my leg- but man I sure did appreciate the experience at the luxury type dealership. Before moving to Chicago, I bought another car from Sewell and had that similar feeling of luxury vs typical car sales.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Chop

Chop 5,000+ Posts

Prius owners were really selfishly screwing over the rest of the people during the electricity shortage if they charged up their coal run cars.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 5,000+ Posts

Today ERCOT canned CEO Bill Magness.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 250+ Posts

Panels have been around since the 70's and they last a pretty long time as long as we avoid natural disasters. though the electronics will ware out the panels themselves should last you 50 years. Of course there are always factors not currently known that over time will reveal themselves so that number might change. Panels installed back in the 70's are still working today, however with any technology, improvements are going to be made that makes current technology obsolete.

Also understand that when I say 50 years, that over time the panels will lose effectiveness according to my research they generally lose about .005 percent effectiveness per year so by year 30 they are down to somewhere around 85% effective. by year 50 they are down to 75% effective. Since I know I'll be in the dirt by then I'm good with that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  27. humahuma

humahuma 500+ Posts

I work for a company that created and was testing solar shingles for a couple of years. I would drive by the made up roof. I then heard Tesla was creating solar shingles, some time later the made up roof was dismantled, I always thought it was because of Tesla. Tesla has a solar roof, anyone know how well it works?

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

.005 percent loss per year is much less than I would have thought. Batteries, even the newest lithium, must have greater loss in efficiency I would think. Particularly in areas of less annual sunshine. I just cannot see how the overall effectiveness in say Tenn with the frequent cloudy and rainy days, would not be drastically lower than say Albuquerque or El Paso.

29. Chop

Chop 5,000+ Posts

Managing the power grid is hard.

So I guess taxpayers now have to pay around $5 million a year for the 3 years remaining on his contract ... :lmao:
    :smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

• poop poop x 2
  30. OUBubba

Damn! That's Tom Herman level punishment!

• Funny Funny x 2