ESPN Article on Tom Herman Year 2

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SeattleHorns, May 8, 2018.

1. SeattleHorns

SeattleHorns < 25 Posts

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...longhorns-tracking-well-year-2-tom-herman-era

Some good quotes in here, this was my favorite
    "There were games where we started a true freshman quarterback with a true freshman running back with a true freshman tight end with a true freshman right tackle and a true sophomore left tackle -- if that's a recipe for success in anybody's book, I'd like to see the book,"

Cautious optimism from the Pacific Northwest about the Horns performance this year...

• Like Like x 7
  2. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for sharing. Great read. :coolnana:

3. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I like the cautious optimism. Of course I did not like the article saying several times that Texas has been in the crapper for 10 years.

That hits too close to home.

4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I still think "buy in" is secondary to having a QB who doesn't make dumb mistakes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I think even that is secondary to having an offensive identity and an offensive line.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

And properly utilizing the personnel we have. Yes we may have been young Tom, but what excuses do you have for the stupid personnel decisions and playcalling?

• Like Like x 1
  7. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I'm not down on this staff and I believe Tom Herman is going to right this ship.... but man, youth has been an excuse around here for what seems like almost a decade.

:herring:

• Like Like x 3
  8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

That was a good read!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I am also sick of hearing about “buy in”. Todd Orlando’s defense has bought in.
    So why hasn’t the offense bought in yet? I don’t think its for lack of trying / effort. But when you watch our offensive play calling unfold on the field it’s kind of natural to have buyer’s remorse.

10. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

kinda hard to have "good" play calling when you have a very young/inexperienced offensive line..............sorta limits what you can do.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, THIS. Geez folks- read this until it sinks in.
    What I have longed for is a team that plays hard, last year I felt I saw that.

• Like Like x 5
  12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think we've basically started to accept that the norm for acceptable line play is if your QB doesn't get sacked in 2 seconds. So we assume that since he's getting 3 seconds, there's no reason why we shouldn't be cranking out the passing yards. It's been so long for us that we've forgotten what it was like when Colt could drop back and go through progressions (and yes, occasionally bail out and run.)

• Like Like x 1