ESPN calls out Greg Davis

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 2222Horn, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 2222Horn

2222Horn 100+ Posts

Truth or fiction? Anyone else watching the sidelines?
    The Link

2. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I'm pretty sure that Greg Davis spends the game in the press box. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

isnt GD typically up in the booth during games?

4. texaszete

texaszete 100+ Posts

GD was definitely in the booth. Don't know if GG was on the phone with him or anything like that?

In the NFL we always see Peyton Manning looking at still photos on the sideline, do college teams have that capability?

5. lhb98

lhb98 250+ Posts

Easterbrook is a clown.

6. PropositionJoe

i remember seeing applewhite talking to him on a couple of different occasions.

i also remember him coming off the field and putting on the headset. other players were trying to talk to him, but he seemed pretty focused.

perhaps GG just isnt a chatty guy?

7. RJDriver

RJDriver 100+ Posts

Perhaps GG was nervous as piss and wanted to go to his happy place.

8. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

I saw him with the headsets, but how much is there for Davis to talk to him about when the play sequence is hand-off, hand-off, pass, punt. Doesn't take too long to talk about what he saw on the one pass play.

I also saw several players/coaches talk to him as he came off the field and on the sideline. I doubt he wanted someone standing next to him constantly in his ear.

9. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

10. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

F these guys...they would find fault in a free lunch.

Greg is always in the box during the game. If they knew anything about us they would know this.They know nothing about our procedures or GG's way to focus.
    "I'll just vomit out some negative BS and it will be true and everyone will think how insightful I am".

They see two or three camera shots and automatically everyone is ignoring GG. What an arrogant ***.

11. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

GD is in the press box all time time. Major and Colt both were seen talking to him. GG has won championships in high school, he's a cool cat. Having everyone around him telling him he can do it may just be negative reinforcement that things aren't going our way. The dude played admirably. Some people will criticize anything just to get readers.

12. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

Don't think I've ever once see GD on the sidelines during a game. This guy is a tool.

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Should be calling out Davis for his attempts to make a nervous freshman playing in the title game even less confident by doing everything but draping a sign from the press box saying "Attention Alabama defense: we do not trust Garrett with this offense."

14. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

What Stat said.

15. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I know that Colt was receiving treatment and desperately trying to get back in the game for the second half. I really wish that they had been able to determine the extent of his injury quicker, and gotten him in the headest on the sideline much faster. I felt it would help GG to have Colt there coaching him, and sure enough in the second half it did.

But, I certainly can't fault Colt for not spending every available moment trying to get enough treatment to get himself back in the game, and I also would never expect GD to leave the booth, where he ALWAYS resides, to come down to the field to rah-rah his QB.

16. PropositionJoe

17. Kaiser Sose

Kaiser Sose 100+ Posts

This is both weak and ignorant criticism. Greg Davis was in the box, where he always is. And I can't imagine that other coaches weren't talking to GG at all.

There is room for criticism of Greg Davis but not here.

18. KevinC

KevinC 100+ Posts

I watched the sidelines a lot with binocualrs and can confirm Gilbert spent a lot of time on the bench with no coaches talking to him. He was sitting with other players though. [​IMG]

19. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Ya know, I have an awful lot of confidence in Mack's ability to judge what a player needs and when he needs it.

Remember the Mangum deal? "You are the luckiest guy in the world...you are about to kick the game winning field goal and be the hero" vs. this years NU game: "if you give him time he'll make it".

Mack is a master at this. If he believed GG needed attention, he would have seen to it.

20. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

I thought the exact same thing as I watched from section 27. I was flabbergasted that no one spoke to him. He wasn't on the phone with GG either. He was standing next to a couple players and no one was talking. Heck, VY should've come over and said something to him. But no one did.

21. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

22. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

I think the real question is why did it take us so long to score in the 3rd Quarter? IOW, how much time did GD spend with GG in the locker room pulling plays from the book, discussing these plays with GG? If GD was confident in what GG could run, I'm thinking we score about midway through the 3rd, instead of 1:00 something.

Wait, GD does go down to the lockerroom at halftime, correct?

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Davis is always in the booth. He's never on the sideline during a game and they had a camera on him in the booth during the title game

24. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

How did Tebow do against Bama? There is no way to prepare Gilbert for Bama with the minimal amount of playing time he had under his belt

25. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

I didn't read this thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Easterbrook is a joke. He's a self-absorbed know-it-all blow-hard, and I wish he'd get re-fired. I usually stick up for ESPN on here (Forde, Cowherd, Herbstreet, etc.) but nothing that guy says should ever be taken seriously. [​IMG]

26. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

27. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

And sort of on topic, I was at the game but in the end-zone. Between Colt, VY, Major, and Simms, you'd think there would have been a lot of support there for GG from guys who've experience various moments similar to this one. Some of you have said you saw Colt or Major talking to him a little, I'm curious how much? Did VY, or any of the older players talk to him, or is that even allowed?

28. Tan Ted Deki

Tan Ted Deki 500+ Posts

I sat on row 1 on the Texas side. 5 rows up from the bench. (I think there was an A-D).

I can verify that this is total ********.

I watched. All of the comments are ********.

He was talking to and being talked to by every person that this moron claims he wasn't.

In addition to coaching, there was no shortage of pats on the head and back from his fellow players.

So annoying when people just make **** up so that they can write something.

29. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

30. planohorn91

planohorn91 100+ Posts

"but Shipley and Sergio needed to be over there with them, and he should have definitely been getting his arm warmed up."

Wouldn't Sergio better serve the team playing defense when Gilbert was sitting on the sideline?