ESPN.COM ARTICLE OF INTEREST

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Feb 15, 2021.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I'm so tired of hearing about this story. Although it's the prior staff this does not look good in general for Texas. I'm confused as to why articles are still being written about it when it was three years ago! Sedona needs to move on and be happy at oregon and let Texas be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

This actually contains new revelations it appears, as I had never seen such specific and egregious information regarding what went wrong and why. And no, it doesn’t look good on the prior staff, especially the trainer who it appears made very irresponsible decisions. In all fairness, if I had suffered at the hands of this incompetence and sustained that kind of suffering, I might have a hard time letting it go as well.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WBBFAN19

WBBFAN19 25+ Posts

Just remember there are 2 sides to every story and this is only Sedona’s. But I agree, its time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I get that. However, ESPN is not going to put anything out there that was not fully vetted thoroughly. This was not just Sedona’s side, but fully backed by someone very well respected in her field regarding improper decisions re her rehab. It’s no longer a question of just being Sedona’s version. As far as being time to move on, that’s not our decision because we didn’t suffer the consequences of obvious medical and rehab incompetence. I hope all find peace and healing....

• Like Like x 1
  6. zztx1

zztx1 100+ Posts

This is a sad story for many reasons. First, health insurance has many flaws and gaps. Most universities want you to hold on to your parents insurance and treat that as primary. Any injuries sustained before you show up are preexisting and most insurance companies want to deny anything to do with that. All of this is a flaw in our health insurance system. Any serious condition can bankrupt most families. Almost no school would cover those bills. Second, health care is only as good as the person and their parents demand. If you do not find the right doctor and trainer, you will get B grade care. That goes for any condition and it is obvious that Sedona and her family put their faith in some medical professional early on and that was a mistake. Trainers have no idea when it comes to this kind of injury and never should have been allowed to control what is done. Finally, no school would admit substandard care so you can get a waiver to the transfer rule. That is unrealistic. Probably, the attack on Texas was not the right way to pitch this case to the NCAA.

This story could have taken place at virtually every school when a high profile player is injured before they show up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

And something I've never understood with this whole ordeal is that if you really feel that Texas harmed and did you wrong why not directly sue Texas? She's shown that she wont hesitate to sue.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

She won’t sue Texas because Texas will be able to publicly give their side. I’ll leave it at that. I watched the story and do agree with Sedona’s point that this is a business. I used to be on the side that a scholarship is their payoff but in recent years I have evolved and think these athletes need some financial compensation in a billion dollar business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I agree with most of what you are saying, but with someone as well respected as Wagner taking a stand and confirming how incompetent the rehab decisions were, AND, most importantly, the harm it did to Sedona, I highly doubt she would be worried about Texas telling their side of the story. I love UT, but the so called trainer and others clearly dropped the ball here.... An injured student athlete SHOULD be able to trust that they will receive competent treatment with QUALIFIED personnel.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As others have stated, there are 2 sides to every story. I'm surprised there is so much more detail now than the previous articles from like 1.5 to 2 years ago. I don't understand the purpose and timing of this article; perhaps there is none. Anyone have a guess? I can't come with anything. But, someone has an agenda.

Not sure about everyone else, but there is so much information in that article that it's hard to focus on everything during the first read.

Most of us wondered (since the original article) why she didn't sue Texas if she believed they were truly at fault; this new article indicates the attorneys her family consulted advised them it was not a winnable case. And, while Wagner is able to release a lot of "medical" details (via permission from the Prince family), Texas can't release anything due to HIPAA. And, that article indicates the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation had insufficient evidence to sanction anyone.

I vaguely recall the previous article indicating Texas was not permitted to pay for some of her medical costs; forget if it was based on injury occurring while playing for USA basketball, or that the family sought medical treatment outside of the university (in NY). Her surgery in NY (which did not appear to be authorized by Texas, or not even aware of by Texas) was followed by her NY doctor over-prescribing antibiotics; so, that's what led to a lot of her complications (according to that article). I don't think Texas can't be liable or responsible for what medical and health options the Prince family decided on their own.

The NCAA denied her waiver request after she transferred to Oregon, as well as the subsequent appeal submitted. Two different stories as to whether Texas objected to her gaining immediate eligibility at Oregon. If Texas had acknowledged any wrongdoing simply to assist Sedona receive immediate eligibility, they'd have opened themselves up to future litigation, IMO. The only way Sedona was going to receive immediate eligibility was by pointing the finger at Texas, whether the fault was true or not.

Whether injury-related or family-related, we've seen the NCAA make some very inconsistent decisions when it comes to granting transfers immediate eligibility. I mean, Lauren Ebo was one of five transfers whose request was denied prior to the blanket waiver; her justification probably had to do with the coaching changes at Penn State.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Wow...didn’t know all the back story...I can understand why the Prince’s were upset...due in part to the problems stemming from the rehab..that was not good...Heidi is still UT’s trainer, BTW...but the medical bills, while unfortunate, were not Texas’s responsibility...though I do agree athletes should get way more than just free tuition, etc....ok, I’m moving on, too...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

UT couldn’t pay her medical bills from an injury during USA basketball the same way they can’t give her cash gifts or other benefits prohibited by NCAA rules. The other medical professional going on record is utter ******** as she can say whatever she wants while Texas is legally forced to say nothing. If the Texas trainer was so inept, she would not still have a job and her firing would have been very public.

Lots of drama seems to follow some people.

The timing of the story? Simple. She’s finally playing again and had a really good first game.

UT has a track record and a national reputation for excellent medical care. If there was fire, other athletes would now be making a whole lot of smoke.

There was something wrong with the program but it wasn’t about Sedona’s medical care. We lost an entire recruiting class. Hence no Seniors. The coach and the entire coaching staff are gone. If there is a story - that’s the story. Something was wrong with the group/team dynamic. The medical staff is not gone.

I hope Sedona has an amazing experience at Oregon while at the same time grows up and gets as far away from some of her adult influencers as she can.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Actually, Heidi quit two weeks ago. Her job was posted online about a month ago. Her departure had nothing to with with Sedona.

14. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Nut you pretty much nailed the situation. I know the family and and the talk around Liberty Hill. It was a well worded post with “drama” being the key word.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Might not have any direct connection, but interesting that this article has a lot of detail about Heidi now that she is no longer employed at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

The timing is definitely interesting but in all reality the ESPN story was a fluff piece that didn’t bring any new revelations for people that know the story. If Heidi was gonna be forced out over that it would have happened long ago IMO.

17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Seems strange to me that someone would leave in the middle of a season/school year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Sedona Prince was to Karen what Tiffany Jackson was to Jody. And I’m not talking about Sedona or Tiffany. When you get the kid, you get the whole family. Sometimes... most times that’s a good thing. Other times...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I agree with most thats been said here. Was she on campus yet when injury occured? Was she repping UT Sports at the time or still high school senior?

20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If it actually was a case of mishandled injury rehabilitation, and I'M NOT SAYING THAT IT ACTUALLY WAS OR WASN'T because obviously I wasn't there, my concern is that Celeste's and Deyona's may have been subject to the same. Again, I wouldn't know... just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 1