espn draft.

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by longhornfan2818, Jun 24, 2008.

1. longhornfan2818

longhornfan2818 250+ Posts

look at the golden state pick.

[​IMG]

2. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

3. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I've seen nothing from that guy that makes me think he's worth a first-round pick.

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'd really love to know where Simmons (and others) are getting all this criticism of Beasley from. He didn't look a defensive superstar, nor a natural-born take-charge leader, nor a fantastic passer. But he didn't look bad at any of these things either, and yet people keep saying he's not a leader, plays selfishly, can't play defense, etc. I watched him play and I didn't see what they're talking about. Thankfully Ford at least addressed the BS that is Beasley's "off-court issues", but then totally blew it by calling Durant a horrible defender. I swear, 90% of the time someone says "Player X is a horrible defender", they are just pulling it out of their butt because they don't happen to like the player but need an additional criticism.

The guys in the NBA are so good that you can pick any player in the league, anyone, and find tons of evidence that he's not that good of a defender. Even guys like Tayshaun Prince and Bruce Bowen can get lit up since unless you block the shot, it can find its way into the hoop no matter how much you blanketed your man.

Ford pretty much discredited his whole column by saying Durant never exerted defensive effort in college, because I was sitting in the gym watching him make his fair share of clutch defensive plays.

Also like how, even though the Spurs knocked Phoenix out in 5 games, Shawn Marion would somehow have turned the tide of the series, even though in 2005 and 2006 he got shut down by Bowen and was by far the least effective of the Sun's array of offensive weapons.

Thought the Brook Lopez and Kevin Love comments were funny - of course the white guys have to have very little said about athletic ability, but they are hard workers, very coachable, intelligent players, etc. Surprised they weren't proclaimed to be the next Ed McCaffrey.

5. TJ=NPOY

TJ=NPOY 100+ Posts

I love the fact chad ford thinks chalmers is a better point guard than D.J. or that bill simmons thinks D.J. is strictly a backup in the league because he's short and apparently can't D up.

Don't these idiots realize defense is mostly about effort.

6. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

Right on, Stat. [​IMG]

7. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

Stat, I think you're correct. I don't see how anyone thinks that Beasley is a selfish player. That team needed him to score as much as he did - hell, they needed him to score more than he did.

Although Brook Lopez is not exactly white - I believe he's half white / half Cuban. But you're point is still probably valid.

8. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

People seem to be looking for reasons not to take the guy (Beasley). I didn't see anything this year that made me think he was selfish or immature (on the court). It could be that people know things that we don't and are being nice, but I'm seeing things like, Beasley shouldn't have been wearing his hat sideways on the cover of ESPN magazine. What??

As to Chalmers vs. Augustin, I can't put my computer on to Chalmers's draft measurements, but D.J.'s perceived as a less-than-adequate athlete, and as best I can tell, that's just not true.

9. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

If Golden State picks Jordan, Don Nelson must be on his way out. I would like to place a wager on that one.

10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Not sure Beasley is a better outside shooter then Durant, but he's the best player in this draft. He's a very good shooter, a hell of an offensive rebounder, has great hands, and finishes well.. If the Heat don't want him, how about sliding to 51 for my Mavs?

11. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

With all the turmoil about Miami not wanting to draft Beasley at #2. Any chance he can fall to #4?