ESPN Top 25 Players in the Country, questionable

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by JoeDallas, Nov 28, 2016.

1. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

This list was formulated by Creme, Voepel, and Hays. Lists like this, of course, are highly arbitrary. As you would expect, we didn't get any players on the list. The usual suspects did well --- UConn 2 players, N.Dame 2 players, South Carolina 2 players, Baylor 2 players, Maryland 2 players, Louisville (who looked pretty awful yesterday) 2 players. Then others from around the country --- Canada from UCLA, Plum from Washington, Mitchell from Ohio State, players from Syracuse, Stanford, Miss. State, Michigan, others I can't remember. Not that it matters, but I would like to have seen Brooke or Ariel on that list.

There were some surprising choices --- Kia Nurse from UConn #7 in the country. I think UConn has 2 or 3 players as good or better than Nurse. Brianna Turner from ND #2 in the country. Maybe I haven't seen ND enough, but she doesn't look like the second best player in the country to me. Nina Davis from Baylor #5 in the country. I know she's been very good, but I would rather have Alexis Jones on my team than Davis.

• Like Like x 2
  2. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I agree, some questionable selections, and placements based on play thus far. You really can't even compare Jones and Davis for Baylor. Alexis leads the team in scoring (Davis 5th), is averaging almost 5 assists per game, and has hit 25 treys for a .530 3-point %. Oh well, I guess the only lists that matter are those that come at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Their absence is not really a surprise although I thought Ariel had a shot at being on that list. Ariel and Brooke as well as Joyner are going to have to gain that national recognition this year to be thought of automatically when those awards/recognitions come out. It will help our players get on those lists once the team starts making the Elite Eight/Final Four consistently.

Not sure that Davis will do enough this season to be a top 25 player list at the end of the year. I thought she would shine with those bigs inside to help her but she has been hit and miss a lot so far.