Euro 2008

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RyanUTAustin, Jun 3, 2008.

1. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

2. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

I wonder if Eastern European teams are more motivated to beat the Germans than anyone else. That was an inspiring performance.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I know Poland would go two days without heat in the winter to beat Germany. I would assume the others are not far behind.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Figo also took a shot or two directly to the face that bloodied his nose and lip up, no? Figo can take a dive after taking the abuse he took that day.

5. RyanUTAustin

Good Morning and happy group of death (day 2) day!
    It's Friday the 13th and I hope that means nothing.

Italy vs. Romania:
    This is a pivotal game for the Italians. I think if they don't get the win today they are out. They are going to make a bunch of changes to their lineup and attack Romania full throttle. I am looking for a couple things in this match.

How well will Romania control the ball and pack their defense in? I expect Italy to have most of the possession, but have a tough time breaking down the back 4 of Romania.

The Romanians are very good defensively and can counter attack. We saw with the Holland / Italy game that the Italians can be vulnerable on the counter.

I expect a massive onslaught of pressure by Italy that Romania absorbs in the first half. 0-0 going into the break

There are 2 things that can happen then:
    1) Italy continues the pressure and breaks through for a 1-0 lead, probably on a Del Piero free kick. At this point the Italians are able to tack on one more when the Romanian's attack more and the final is 2-0.

2) Or Italy cannot break the Romanian defense and begin to get nervous and frustrated. This leads to a huge mistake and Romania scores late for the 1-0 win. Italy goes home.

This match should be interesting to watch and I am looking forward to seeing what the result will mean for the Dutch in game 2.

6. RyanUTAustin

On too our game.
    Let's face it. the Dutch supporters have been on cloud 9 since Monday. With good reason. Holland just doesn't have that happen very often. We are usually on the other side of underachieving and losing games in a horrible way.

I don't have to recite for you how often this has happen to the Dutch. Seeing our team come out and play flawless football for the most part, was refreshing and re energized the supporters that we are indeed a favorite to win this tournament.

When the team walked out on the pitch Monday, I have to admit I said this was not a good lineup for us. I questioned Marco Van Basten's thought process on a couple things:

1) Why was De Jong starting? There had been no discussion of him being a holding midfielder and I felt it was a bad pick. I was wrong, he and Engelaar played fantastic defense and were great feeders of the ball to Sneijder, Van Der Vaart and Kuyt.

2) Why was Boulahrouz our right back? He was a late addition to the team and hasn't played much for his club team. I was wrong, Khalid was strong in that position and was quick to alleviate any pressure.

3) Why is Mathijsen, who looked terrible in the warm up matches, still getting the nod as a center back. I was wrong, he and Ooijer were decent and kept the Italians out of the net (that's all that counts).

4) Why was Dirk Kuyt getting the start over a quicker Afellay who could replace Robben with speed and quickness on the wing. I was wrong, Kuyt is a pitbull who doesn't stop running. He works hard and made a huge impact on the game.

So going into the France game I am not going to question Van Basten's lineup (which I think will be the same). I want Robben or Van Persie to start but if it doesn't happen I wont question it.

France has their backs to the wall and need a win. They will be attacking us more on the perimeter, which will be a difference from the Italians who attack more up the middle. We will need to stay calm and counter attack.

Desailly said in an interview with the BBC that he is scared. This was an hilarious interview but also very telling. I know there is not one dutch player or ex player who is scared of the French. We just have to play our game and we will get the points.

A win or a tie in this match would make me content, but a win is something I really want. I hate going into match 3 needing a result and I would like to avoid Spain in the quarters by getting the top spot. Although Sweden would be no push over either.

Today is a big day and I again I couldn't sleep last night. It is time to show the world that Holland's game against Italy was not a fluke.
    Hup Holland Hup
    -Ryan

7. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

nice post Ryan! hornfans is allsome.

hope Italy can pull out a few goals, and i hope netherlands beats down france. I want france ot have teh least amount of confidence heading into the game v italy (that's using the daring assumption that italy can pull out a win v Romania)

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I see Ryan's second scenario for Italy happening if they don't bloodbath the vampires. I see it being a draw though. I don't know that Romania scores on Italy unless Italy panics and puts all to getting a goal and victory. They know without it they are gone. Even a draw does not really help them on goal differential, right?

I hope that Italy plays good soccer and does not resort to feeling they have to flop, dive and assault players in a cheating fashion. I don't mean this as a rip on them like I usually do. I mean it in a respectful way that they are an amazingly talented team that can win without that ****.

I hope they don't panic and make it a game of debate and constant ref action that interferes with the game. I would like to see what they can do under the gun and by playing by the rules. I think they can move on. I hope they don't but they are way too talented not to. This means nothing, however, only what team shows up today.

9. RyanUTAustin

Alright boys, I am off to 3rd Base.
    Enjoy the games and Hup Holland

10. pantone159

pantone159 100+ Posts

Ryan - I wasn't suggesting that Portugal played any cleaner than Netherlands in that game. Since I didn't want to root for Portugal as much, I wasn't as disappointed in them as I was in Netherlands. [​IMG]

As far as today, I think that if Italy loses and Netherlands gets a result, then Italy is eliminated.

As far as the tiebreakers... The REALLY strange case is if somehow two teams end up completely tied on points, head-to-head, goal differential and goals scored (like Turkey-Czech could end up), but the teams don't play each other in the final group game. In that case, you can't do the PKs, and the next tiebreakers are:

'f) coefficient from the qualifying competitions for 2006 world cup and 2006/2008 European championship (points obtained divided by matches played)' and then
    'g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament)', then
    'h) drawing lots'

I have no idea how f,g work out.

The world cup doesn't use head-to-head, so I think a full tie is more likely there. I don't think the WC has the weird tiebreakers f,g. Don't know about using PKs to settle a tie either.

11. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

does anyone know a site to watch the game online for free?

12. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

ESPN360. I haven't tried it cause I've been able to catch the matches live but my dad watched a few games from there.

13. Creed

Creed 100+ Posts

Why was the announcer doubting that PK? He got tackled. I kept laughing harder each time he disputed it, all the while playing the clip of an arm around his chest.

14. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Watching games FREE ONLINE!!

This site will give you more options that you could ever imagine.

The Link

15. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

Netherlands!! 4-1 over France! They just beat the World Cup Champions and runners-up by three goals each! Granted each is lacking their captain from 2006 but still... [​IMG]

16. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Am I the only one who would like to see HOLLAND rest all of the starters (or at least as many as possible) and give Romania a good game, but ultimately lose. [​IMG]

Oh boy wouldn't that be great?!?!

If only their game was SECOND instead of FIRST. That way at least Italy and France could fight it out with a slight glimmer of hope only to have the winner's hopes CRUSHED in the second game.

[​IMG]

17. RyanUTAustin

Just got back, I would write something up but I am on cloud 9 and have had too many Heineken's!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. RyanUTAustin

Oh ya, Sig check for my boy Arjen....what a goal!

19. pantone159

pantone159 100+ Posts

20. RyanUTAustin

21. pantone159

pantone159 100+ Posts

The end of Group C play could be very interesting.

If Netherlands lose, it is simple, Romania advance.

If Ned and Romania tie, then if there is a winner in France-Italy, that winner advances, else Romania. The same is true if Netherlands win by 2 or less goals: Romania would win the 3-way tie on goal differential. But if Holland wins by 3 or more, and France-Italy tie, things become strange:

If Netherlands win by 3: The three tie on GD as well. You can't use the PKs for a 3-way tie, and the next tiebreaker is some average points per game in qualifying, or something confusing. Fair play ratings are after that. Then a coin flip.

If Netherlands win by 4+: Rom loses out on GD, and France and Italy are completely tied, and then the WC final shootout repeats itself, the winner advancing.

So lets keep it to 2.

22. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

it's getting very interesting

23. CTGA_Horn

CTGA_Horn 250+ Posts

I really can't think of a team that started off a major tournament recently any better than this Dutch team. Knocking out two powers like they did is pretty amazing.

24. DutchHorn

DutchHorn < 25 Posts

I don't think the dutch will throw the game, that would break up the team spirit too much, you have go in to the game wanting to win. I would think they rest all the guys with yellow cards, although I am not 100% certain how that works this tournament. Then all the guys with small injuries, but I would think at least half the team is still the same as the previous two games, including v Nis, Sneijder, Mat, vdSar etc.

25. RyanUTAustin

26. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

/ Seems like none of what you post contradicts pantone.

27. pantone159

pantone159 100+ Posts

You skipped the case where Romania loses and France and Italy tie. That is the confusing one. Maybe I didn't write it clearly.

Then there is a 3-way tie with 2 points each. Right now Romania would win that on goal differential, but not if they lose by 3+.

28. pantone159

pantone159 100+ Posts

The exact result if Romania loses and France-Italy tie is complicated, and depends on the exact scores of the games, since goals scored is also a tiebreaker. I wasn't right before, Ita-Fra can't go to PK's (sadly) but it can come down to 'coefficient of qualifying' between Italy and Romania.

If Romania loses (by any amount) and Fra-Ita tie, then they go straight to head-to-head regardless of the group goal differentials. In the HTH games, all three will tie on points and GD. So it is on to goals scored in the HTH games...

If the Fra-Ita score is 1-1 or more, then Italy will be ahead in goals scored, and they will advance. If the Fra-Ita score is 0-0, then it is between Romania and Italy. They completely tie HTH and so move to the next tiebreaker.

They then count goal differential in the group, and if Rom loses by 2 or less, they win there, if they lose by 4+ then Italy wins. If it is exactly 3, then it moves to group goals scored. If Romania scored in their loss, then they advance, otherwise this is tied (since Italy had to tie 0-0 to get to this point...)

This special case happens if the scores are Ned 3-Rom 0 and Ita 0-Fra 0.

THEN it goes to 'coefficient of qualifying' or whatever. But never PKs.

To summarize, the results if Romania lose and France-Italy tie:

If Italy scores in the tie, they advance.
    Otherwise, it is between Italy and Romania (France is out) on goal differential then goals scored based on the last days results. If that is tied, it goes to the coefficient thing.
    No chance of PKs.

29. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

BTW, romania beat the dutch twice in qualifying and won their group.

30. TR_Horn

TR_Horn 25+ Posts

I'm in Turkey right now - it's almost 2am and people are out on the streets after we beat the Czech Republic 3-2 - all three goals coming in the last 15 minutes....what a great game...

It was typical Turkish half-assing until minute 75 and then 15 minutes of furious effort. Catch the highlights if you can - pretty good game overall.