Euro 2008

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RyanUTAustin, Jun 3, 2008.

1. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

I hope that is the final.
    I just don't want Germany to win it.
    Salt in a dutch wound

2. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

The Spanish team have the coolest names!

Xavi Hernandes and Xabi Alonso
    Cesc Fabregas
    Ruben de la Red
    Fernando Torres
    David Villa
    Dani Guiza
    Joan Capdevila

I think they sound cool! Especially Ruben de la Red, that sounds like a pirate.

3. RyanUTAustin

You forgot Sergio García & Juanito.
    [​IMG]

4. CTGA_Horn

CTGA_Horn 250+ Posts

Rumor has it that Turkey has 13 players not suspended or injured including the 3rd keeper and a player that can probably play about 60 min. I'm still looking forward to the game, though. They still have a chance.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Rumor has it TURKEY SCORED A GOAL and lead 1 - 0.

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

And then Germany says no way and it's Constantinople. tied

7. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

How the f**k was that not a PK against Turkey? [​IMG]

8. ColtMcApplewhite

ColtMcApplewhite 25+ Posts

Turkey ties it up late AGAIN!

I LOVE THIS TEAM! [​IMG]

9. WashU-Horn

WashU-Horn 500+ Posts

Turkey is far more desreving than Ze Germans in this one. It would be a shame iof Germany goes through. They have been outplayed by a decimated squad. Ze Germans oughta be ashamed of themselves.

10. ColtMcApplewhite

ColtMcApplewhite 25+ Posts

And Lahm dashes the Turks hopes in the 90th minute with a gorgeous curling blast in the upper left corner, with the goalkeeper closing off all but that small window.

Great run, nonetheless, by the Turks!

11. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

dammit. I really wanted Turkey to win. 3 goals in the last 10 minutes....I sure wish I could have watched it.....instead of working. [​IMG]

12. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

while Turkey won a ton of fans for their last second heroics, we should not forget that the standard bearer for last second heroics are ze germans.
    They tied up the 66 world cup final in the last throes, as well as the 1970 semi final at the azteca, in which they cqme back not once, or twice, but thrice. They couldn't muster up a fourth equalizer, though, and Italy went through. It is considered the "match of the century".
    They also came back to break french hearts in the 1982 semis after france had gone up 3-1 in extra time.
    They equalized in the world cup final in 1986 with 2 late goals, only to be bested by a Maradona through ball. And there was 1998 when they came back and beat Mexico 2-1 in the round of 16. Not as glamorous as the others, but very painful for me...still.

13. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

yup, the new comeback kids bested by the old comeback kids. Wish Turkey could have won but great game though.

14. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

The Germans definitely win the "All WAGs" team. Wow! Did you see Mrs. Odankor?!?!?! (87:15 mark)

[​IMG]

15. TR_Horn

TR_Horn 25+ Posts

Ze Germans. They broke my heart.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That last goal was lightning fast!

17. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

Just got back last night from a trip to the UK and Spain.

Some thoughts:

1) Most Brits are still in a bit of disbelief that they didn't make the tourney.
    2) Understandably so, the Spanish fans are the most pessimistic bunch I've ever seen.
    3) The only thing the Spaniards were confident about was their goalie, Casillas.
    4) Even so, everyone pretty much considered it a lost cause when the game went into penalty kicks.
    5) Casillas is a bad-***.
    6) They had some hope in Fabregas coming off the bench, but otherwise questioned all the other substitutions.
    7) IMO Xavi is the most under-rated player on the Spanish side. That guy really controls the flow of their game.

18. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Guys, I'm having serious internet skills problems. Somebody PLEASE post a picture of David Odonkor's WAG!

19. jmann09

jmann09 250+ Posts

20. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

That was quite a game from Spain, a beauty to watch. Quite weird...I didn't think Russia was going to play as timid as it did. I feel bad for Torres so close...yet so far away on scoring chances this whole tournament so far. I hope he breaks out of it Sunday.

21. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

22. RyanUTAustin

I miss the games....sigh

23. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Well last night, we had the second leg of the (Santador) Copa Libertadores and tonight we have Thursday Night Soccer featuring teams from the MLS.

There's soccer to be had, it's just at a lower level and you have to look harder for it.

[​IMG]

PS- They show the Thursday night games down here in Argentina as well as the Sunday games on Fox Sports. They might be showing even more than that now that we are in the dead season for a whopping 5 weeks.

24. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

NOW its the offseason. How many days till football?

25. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

There's still Olympic soccer in August.

26. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts