Even Though the O-Line Stinks, it Amazes me that.....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Apr 22, 2018.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

The University of Texas doesn't have a power, breakaway tailback. I have never seen such a weak group of RBs. Obviously, the blocking is "suspect" at best. However, if and when a hole does open up, I do not see out RBs being able to break tackles and/or take it to the house. We should have a stable of quality RBs. No running game will be the death knell for this offense again this season. It's "Old School", but you have to run the ball, and stop the run to be successful.

2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If you are judging based on the spring game, I'm not sure a full opinion can be made from that. It looked to me that the main goal was to give Sam and Shane as many passing reps as possible. There wasn't really an attempt to establish a running game. It felt like They had more time in the pocket although the ball was out so fast every play maybe I didnt correctly evaluate the o-line.

Basically I came away with the "we'll see what happens in the fall" mentality.

• Like Like x 2
  3. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

To me it looked like a "jail break" on every passing attempt (kind of like last season). Poor Shane has to run for his life every time he drops back to pass.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

It’s truly pathetic. Anderson will help some but with him we still have only four solid oline. No point getting even a little excited unless an incoming frosh is ready to start which is basically never the case. Another up and down season, more down to clarify

Edit: Maybe 5 with Hudson
    Edit: 4 with Hudson

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  5. Omniscient.one

Anyone else have Charlie Tanner flashback on Hager’s bulldozer impersonation?

6. Omniscient.one

Hopefully the D line is just that good too and we aren’t really that pathetic

• Like Like x 5
  7. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Tailback?

Do we have a tailback formation for a breakaway tailback to break through from???

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I saw a lot less downside potential for the next season where 8-4 is the low and 10-2 is the upper end. I think we finally have reduced a lot of negatives (FG kicker, RB depth, QB depth, TE depth, etc). From here we look at the upside to improve from 9-3

9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

The OL is not the 2005 bunch but I believe we will see big improvement over the patch work OL last season.

Last eve was a controlled spring game. OL played both ways and may have been gassed some the second half. Yes there were mistakes. No Hudson or Anderson.

Come fall camp I suspect we'll see: Anderson, Vahe, Shack, Hudson, Okafor as the starters. All veterans except Okafor. I have faith in Hand to have them ready as a solid first unit come the opener at MD. For the Offense to have success this season, the OL staying healthy is HUGE.

We will see...

Re: the D... me thinks they will be in the top 3 in the country.

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

We have some guys across the board that have 2 years of PT under their belts. I believe we will see improvement in most areas the usual suspects are the oline and kicking game. The 2 QBs seem to have improved so they aren’t holding the ball for long periods looking down field. 8-4 is doable, so is 9-3 with good ball security. If we can prevent the mass exodus of junior at season’s end, the next few years might be really good.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

IMO the Defense should almost always have the advantage in practice. They see this offense in practice every day + the offense is not throwing the kitchen sink at them.

Remember the Spring game before the 2016 season? The offense was making plays all over the field. We thought it was evidence that our Offense was going to be awesome. It turned out to be OK, but our defense proved to be abjectly, thoroughly, horrible. They had been practicing getting burned all off-season and when they were under the bright lights they executed what they knew, getting burnt.

I think the OL and thus our offense will be Ok this year. This is a legit defense probably the toughest they will see all season.

• Like Like x 4
  12. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Okay, light the torches.

I trust Herman and he seems to be an open book. He stated several things before the spring game -
    1. The D looks really good
    b. The OL is improved over last year, only concerned about depth
    and
    3. He feels a lot better about this team than he did with last years team

IMO- spring games mean zip. I saw several spring games and everyone looks equally bad, especially the runnung game.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

...that people still post threads with clickbait titles?

14. Texas Lawhorn

Texas Lawhorn 100+ Posts

I don’t know how you get that defense has improved. I think defense is at best as good as it was last year. With some breaks, we win one more game than last year. I see another 7 or 8 win season. We need to recruit some beef and some RBs. I will say that I like our freshmen quarterbacks.

15. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I agree but never forget there's no shortage of people in this world capable of convincing themselves of almost anything.

16. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Allow me to add I hope like hell we're both wrong. Good night and good luck.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  17. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good thing is that last year the concern about depth was we had five guys, and any one of them going down was a substantial drop into failing-grade performance level. This year, we still don't have depth but at least we've got two or three guys on the depth chart who can play passably.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The defense was missing 4 starters in the Spring game. The defense will have the following seniors trying to make money this season: S, DB,DB, DB, LB,LB, DT, DE, DE. It’s going to be lit.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

QB, RB, TE, and Kicker will be better this year than last year.

20. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

It's the same guy. Did he magically get better over the spring? Will he magically stop missing "chip-shot" FG's? I'll believe it when I see it.

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

2 for 2 at spring game. He also did better in 2nd half vs 1st half of season. I see positive trends all around.

22. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Ummm, folks I stated that Herman said the “D looks good.” I never said nor did I say Herman said the defense “Improved”
    But.. since this you threw down the proverbial gauntlet, I’ll play.

D line- lost Poona, ouch. but Hager and Roach looked good in the spring game, with Chris Nelson and Charles O. I’d day at least as good. Are you saying this basic same crew is going backwards?

Linebacker- Malik gone, but Gary Johnson is as good and the other young LB’s should be as good as last year.Freeman healthy..., and Beemage, the Shark were young. So again, worse than ‘17?

The DB will be as good or better. Youth was huge to a really great DB class and this year they take a step back?
    One yeah, year two of Orlando’s scheme taking shape is going to be less effective?

The superstar QBs are gone, Mayfield, Darnell, Rudolph.

So, I think it’s a much harder sell to convince me this D will be worse. Barring injuries.

Oh boy, now I am saying they will be better.
    Rats, you guys are tricked me.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

We'll know what we have when we play Maryland. Win big on the road and we're on track for a descent season. Win a squeaker or lose, and we may be in trouble again. A 9-3 regular season finish is my personal minimum. Another 6-6 is not acceptable.

Overall, I saw improvement on the O, and took into account that we had a lot of our top guys out. So we'll see in a little over 4 months.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

If we don't beat Maryland this year, then we have been cursed by the football Gods to wander the wilderness for at least 5 or 6 more years and one more coaching change.

I have got to think we're going to be better prepared to face Maryland this season.

• Like Like x 3
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

It simply amazes me what she sees in me, dazzles me, dazes me

26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I don't think it would be possible to be less prepared than we were against Maryland last year.

• Like Like x 1
  27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The only phase of the team that will not be better this year is special teams. Our punter will not be nearly as good as the one we lost to the nfl. In the spring game our punter, after his first punt, was not very good. He was kicking them out of bounds after 30 to 40 yards, wasn't getting much distance after his first punt. And his hang time was below average.

We have a freshman coming in who is supposed to be a top place kicker. So him along with who is on campus now, should be enough to keep our place kicking OK.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  28. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

At this point, I'm optimistic, me thinks TH was embarrassed for himself as HC of The University and for his new program to lose the opener at DKR vs. the terps.

I believe we will will see a much different team and effort vs. MD come the opener. A Horn team that is focused, hungry and anxious for a victory!

• Like Like x 2