Ewers considering skipping senior season at SLC............

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Jul 29, 2021.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

2. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I would imagine he'll opt out of his commitment to the Bucknuts or whomever when the NFL waves the money in front of his face.

3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I do think it's selfish, team players just don't do that. But it's also 1 less year of development and thus he'll be lesser of a player, rusty when he starts his college career. Then he'll only be there 3 years and probably won't be the best he could've been for his college team/school.

I don't really care about that, but I would if he had remained a Texas commit. I certainly want every Texas player to be the best they can be even if there is a risk of a career ending injury. That risk is also very low if you look at history.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Recruits like Ewers are in a position to potentially get life-changing wealth, tens of millions of dollars, he should not be concerned about the feelings of high school teammates
    Like it or not this is all just a business now and the smart ones will treat it as such and maximize their benefit

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Diva

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Yes, I think Ewers should get what he can while he can. If he is as self-centered as he appears to be then I can see his college career being more like Tate Martell and less like Trevor Lawrence, which will put a crimp in his future NIL income.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What’s the payout for being a douche?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

people aren't used this with football. so "loyalty" to teammates is sometimes different.

in other sports where players grow up on club/nonschool teams, loyalty is a thing, but if you thought switching teams gave you more exposure or a better shot at a better (or any) scholarship, you definitely do it.

If I guy could play for free for a year and risk a career threatening injury or a guy could practice for a year as a redshirt and make hundreds of thousands of dollars? that's smart, not disloyal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Maybe he can get an NIL deal with Massengill or Summer's Eve.

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm sure I'm the only one who feels this way, but I view Ewers decision the same as I do the kids that abandon their team to go play for IMG in Florida. although the latter may be worse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Unless he's expecting playing time on Ohio this year I don't think this is so smart. He's not putting off riches for a year ... just till December. Not sure of his family finances, but if he's doing this to buy his momma a house...I'm imagining it would have a boat dock and a pool. The good news is that not a lot of high school athletes are academically, developmentally or emotionally ready for college after their junior year of high school. This will be the rare athlete.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not many needy people in the Southlake ISD.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It is all about money now. Every move will be to protect the golden goose which is the mind and body that was gifted by God and nurtured until it was ready. Until the final piece of gold is laid on the path of avarice, the golden goose will be protected to the detriment of winning and team loyalty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Hot Sports Opinion (not just UT sour grapes): Seen Quinn Ewers play several times. Think he might be over-rated (based on the hype). That is all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. Sangre Naranjada

I would be more sympathetic to Ewers' situation if he was from a very poor family, and his NIL money might help mama get a house away from the 'hood.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I agree with Sangre about players from poor families. I could see it if his family was about to lose their home or other dire need. As long as he has finished HS and is graduated, which IIRC is generally the criteria for colleges to accept a person as a student, then he and tOSU have followed the rules. However, from a development point of view, I believe he will be a redshirt this year if he bails on his last year of high school. High school players have to get used to the speed of the college game, and I mean quickly. Generally speaking, there are a few, but probably very few players which can come out as a HS junior and compete in college ball starting game 1. tOSU must believe he can develop and adjust to the college game and they may keep him on the bench all season as a RS Frosh. In addition, week in and week out, he'll be facing some of the best college defensive players in the country who will be after him every play to try to tie his legs in a knot and send him home looking like a pretzel, not only on the field on Saturdays, but also in practice. These aren't HS level guys the majority of which play HS ball, may be starters, but never even get a sniff by the major college programs. In addition, what if he's a bust? Guys that are highly rated as HS players, sometimes fall flat on their face and eventually transfer or disappear into the night and fog. I believe he's doing this to collect on the $1mil offer he received and can let that grow, and potentially add to it while he's in college.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Next we will be hearing about skipping high school to focus on mental health...

18. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Exactly

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't see the problem. He graduated already. It's not like he just quit school early.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Stat,

Follow the bouncing ball

team ME