Exercising on roads with kids (again)

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Orange&White, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

A few weeks ago there was a long thread about people jogging with their kids on the street. Lots of different opinions on it.

This morning in Georgetown, at 7:01, in the dark and a little fog, there was a woman riding her bike on the INTERSTATE 35 ACCESS ROAD pulling her child behind her in a little trailer. She was dressed in a dark sweatshirt and the trailer being pulled was dark red and there was no reflective anywhere to be seen on them. There is no shoulder at all on this stretch.

If you are familiar with Georgetown, this was on the first exit for Georgetown if you are heading North. I came up behind her after all of the car dealerships, in the unlit section that has the undeveloped proprty to the east. It would be between the Mac Haik Ford and the Mac Haik Jeep/Dodge if you know where that is.

I feel like I should have called the police.

2. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I saw a woman biking with a trailer going up the ramp for 71/290E heading into town from Oak Hill this morning. No kid in it as far as I could tell, but it's an equally unsafe stretch of highway.

3. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

That's funny, because the other day on 1300 Bucky was ranting about a woman riding a bike with a kid in the trailer, I think on exposition or something. He said he yelled at her. But he left it with a good message, and that was to just take side roads.

4. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Hopefully it was something other than Exposition, seeing as that's an actual bike route recognized by the city.

5. stupidgringo

stupidgringo 100+ Posts

6. Craigcito

Craigcito 250+ Posts

My favorites are the ones riding up the hill on 2222 just east of 360. They are usually humping it at about 2-3 mph because the hill is so steep. The road has no shoulder and the cars are going 45-50 around blind curves. That goes beyond stupidity into full blown mental-deficient territory.

I haven't seen any pulling a trailer w/ kids yet. But I have come up on one riding this road at night, which was a new low.

7. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

angry drivers always win

8. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Following the law actually wins.

I do not think any of these examples were breaking the law, unless they were actually on 35.

9. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

everyone wins by following the law. too bad not everyone does