Expectations for the Bama game?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HornFan16, Jan 2, 2010.

1. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

2. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

team lets share the Love. if you can't expect the win with the all time winningest QB in the History of the NCAA coupled with Will F'N Muschamp and Mack Brown you should do some pushups or somethign to man up.

Stop it with the negative waves Moriarity

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I personally expect the win and for it to shock the pundits. They will not admit the shock, however. They will talk about what Alabama did not do instead of what Texas did. It won't make a **** because they will have had to devour another meal of "shut the f**k up" yet again served by the Texas Longhorns in the Rose Bowl.

4. HornFan16

HornFan16 100+ Posts

Wow, there is a lot of doom and gloom on this board. Even many of our own fans think we will lose and lose big. While we could lose, I just don't see us losing big. In big time games, we generally play very close hard fought games and win close ones near the end. It has been a while since anyone blew us out. Most of the year Horn fans was talking about how weak Alabama was. One game over a month ago against Florida doesn't suddenly make them unbeatable.

5. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

If our O line can provide any kind of pass protection, I love our chances. Colt just needs more than 1.5 seconds. Our D is as good as theirs, and our offense can be way more explosive IF Colt has some time to make decisions. I expect to see a lot of screens from the Horns in an effort to slow down the pass rush. If we can have minimal success there, we can win a close, tough game.

6. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

Bowls are different than other kinds of games. Look at Fred Akers, couldn't ever figure out how to prepare for a bowl. Saban, has a pretty bad bowl record, you could tell he was uncomfortable the minute ESPN handed him the favorite role.

I am most impressed by the reports of Mack learning from Bobby Bowden how to handle the bowl preparation practice. Evidently Mack visted Bowden after our last Holiday Bowl loss, determined he was overdoing some parts of preparation, and adjusted.

I think there are two factors that determine the game.

#1. Kick coverage. we're lucky to have Scott back. Hopefully he helps a bunch. I still say we cannot afford a repeat of the Michigan Rose Bowl. If Michigan had normal starting field position, I say we would have won by 2 TDs. We will adjust. When I saw the 2006 Rose Bowl a week ago, I noticed we held Reggie Bush in check on kickoff returns, he was no factor. If we can hold Bush down, we can contain this guy. IOW, give our coaches a month to prepare, we can adjust.

#2. Our secondary receivers. I am a little more concerned about this one than #1. I expect 'bama to double cover Shipley and make everybody else beat them. All of these teams are so incredibly lucky when they play against our O, because we haven't had a TE all year, and they know it. Compare this to the '06 Rose Bowl, David Thomas - wow, talk about a security blanket, and most important underappreciated pass breakup of the game.....

Teams still can't stop our passing game, UNLESS somebody drops a TD pass(Kirkendoll).

So let's say we drop one TD pass. We score two TDs, instead of three.

I am not too worried about our OL. They will respond, no question.

Bottom line, we don't roll in bowl games, so give me Texas 14, 'bama 9.

I keep thinking about our D. Nebraska scored 30+ points against Arizona, granted a PAC 10 team, we held that same team to 100 yards?!!!, could have been a shutout with different field position.

7. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

If I were trying to win a big game I would want:

Winningest QB of all time. Check.

Dominant well coached D. Check.

Recent bowl success. Check.

Pissed off team. Check.

This particular breed of cat has sharper claws than people realize. Bama is good but so is Texas. We forget that.

8. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

I expect a 10-7 game at the half and a 3-4 pt diff. at the end. However, we might win by 14-17 also. [​IMG]

9. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

I think this game plays out a lot like Columbus in 2005. We'll draft behind Bama for most of the first three quarters. I see it around 14-10 Bama at halftime. At times it will seem like we're hanging on by our fingernails. Ultimately I think McCoy leads one final drive that puts an exclamation point on his career. The defense then clamps down on McElroy for a 23-20 Horns' win.

10. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

11. b UT ful

b UT ful 250+ Posts

Colt is going to clean the whole shop with Tide. Once again, Texas wins in dramatic fashion with a [​IMG] -like performance!!

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

If its anything like our other three BCS games I expect Texas to win in the last 20 seconds with a late FG or TD. [​IMG]

13. longtex

longtex Guest

It's not about who played better in their last game.

It's not about whose quarterback is better, or whose running back gets more yards, or who has a dominant tackle or wide receiver.

It's not about who played better in November, or December, or any other month.

The beauty contest is over, and it's not up to the judges to decide if we have cuter outfits, sing better or have perkier nipples or a better answer to a lame question.

The top two in this beauty contest are about to go head to head, winner take all.

Mack and Darrell are both right:

It's about who plays better for 3 1/2 hours, and angry people win football games.

I think we're angrier, by far. I think we're going to play better for that 3 1/2 hours.

I don't give a f**k if we win by one point or forty points, but I expect us to win.

14. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Only 2 teams have had any success at all on our D. Aggs and Tech. Aggs played lights out and doubtful Bama can make those kind of plays. I think we hold Bama to 16 or so and win 24-16. Bama doesn't see 5 wides all year and we'll stretch their safeties out and make plays.

15. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

I expect double moves on routes to get DBs to sell out on fakes. I expect receivers to get separation in this game, so that we don't see anymore coverage sacks. I expect Colt to have more time in the pocket than last game.

I expect a Bama that was eight inches (or, the length of Cody's hand) from defeat against Tennessee and barely outlasted Auburn to be across the field from us. I don't expect them to play as poorly. I just expect the same players to be there.

I expect a TEXAS offense that survived one of the nation's best defenses to be on the other side, and with a BIG chip on their shoulder.

I expect us to win a close one at 24-21.

16. horntiger2010

horntiger2010 100+ Posts

I suppose I fully expect the tower to be lit up Burnt Orange again on Thursday night. I do not get where all the negativity comes from. Bama does NOT have anyone like Suh. Our O-line cannot play any worse than they did against NU. Our D is arguably the best they have seen all year, FL is/was just as good, but for some reason did not come out to play that day.

Our QB just wins. I mean, let's think about the games that Colt has lost recently. Oh. He hasn't. And the last one he did, well, that one is probably more on last year's secondary than on him.

Texas by 14 or 17. Everyone will wonder where the two teams we saw a month ago went. Because it will not be the same two teams on that field this Thursday. Kindle and Colt raise their draft stock, while McElroy tastes defeat for the first time in his young life.

HOOK 'EM!!

17. Trifecta

Trifecta 250+ Posts

Horns in a romp.

38-3.

You heard it here first.

18. mudboy

mudboy 250+ Posts

we get throttled by 20 tds.
    142-2
    Late in the game, they get 5 penalties for excessive celebration and their drive stalls. Their punter gets confused on what his role is (He slept through the first 4 hours of the game) and misses the snap and it rolls through the endzone.

19. mudboy

mudboy 250+ Posts

wait...141-2
    Their kicker gets tired and just misses one.