[[F1 2009 Season Thread]]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mandingo, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

HornInHK...how far is Sepang from you? F1's there this weekend...

3. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

The Link

Wow...Lewis Hamilton and McLaren have just been dq'd from the Aussie result for lying about the Trulli incident.

Idoits.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Wow, the penalty seems a little harsh for what happened, although from the story linked I can't tell exactly what happened. Seems like demoting one spot would have been more appropriate.
    I hate to see results of a race changed by stewards decisions afterwards, although I know sometimes it is justifiable. It sucks for the fans who watched the race.

5. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

It seems to be the lying bit that really pissed 'em off. Today Hamilton apologized, admitted they lied, and the team suspended Sporting Director Davy Ryan for his role in the matter.

6. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

Great that new teams are dominating, but I just don't like it, sorry. Jensen Button, a guy who's been consistently beaten by his teammate is now the dominant driver in the series................... [​IMG] Do think the money teams will catch them in the end.

7. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, it's definitely different.

Here's the grid for tomorrow, with starting weights:

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I caught some of the Q2 for the Malaysia race last night but I think it was taped and not live. It was new to me so that was cool. What a fantastic motor sport to watch. I love the cameras giving the drivers perspective of these things called left AND right turns.

I want to follow along more closely and know more about what is going on other than this thread but soccer is in full tilt and that is way, way up on my list ofl loves. I prefer soccer to NFL, to be honest.

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Loop, that was definitely pre-recorded. Because it would have been Friday night/Saturday morning (or some stage in between) for live qualifying.

I watched a few laps this morning (~8:00am local time... I had be drinking yerba mate and I think it kept me up) during the heavy rain. It was ridiculous. Won't say more than that.

Nappy

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Disappointing race today. Could've been a great finish. FIA needs to reign in Bernie on thse start times.

In other news related to this thread, Danica crashed out today in IRL's round 1 in St. Pete after shutting the door on Matos, I think, who was along side her entering a high-speed chicane.

11. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

LOL, I know you guys hate Danicle, but to blame that one on her is laughable at best. There was room for one car there, and Matos thought for some reason he could fit in there by braking late into what was basically a walled chicane.

She did overeact.

12. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Oh, I'm not saying he's blameless, but it's like the F1 commentators are always saying "Move over and live to race again..." or something to that effect. It usually takes two drivers making room for each other to make a pass work. If that doesn't happen, these things usually end in tears.

He was there, 2/3 of the way up on her right side. She can give him room and continue racing or she can shut the door and end the day for both of them. Shutting the door and wishing him away is not an option.

They were both wrong, but she shut the door and ended their day.
    The Link

13. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I'm with Mandingo on this one.

The announcers were saying that she didn't see him, but I'm wondering if her car was the only one on the track that didn't have rearview mirrors.
    [​IMG]

14. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

15. accuratehorn

I wasn't up at 3:30 a.m. to watch Sunday morning, and the replay was during the spring football game which I attended. Anyone know if there will be another replay in the Austin area? I saw the results and constructor points in the newspaper, but no details.

16. F1Longhorn

F1Longhorn 250+ Posts

Look on the bright side you only missed half a race.

17. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

FWIW, the Sepang event organizers want to change the start time...to something not so ridiculous, no doubt.

18. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Here's the lineup for the Chinese GP, which airs live on SPEED tonight at 1am or so, then again on tape delay tomorrow afternoon.

It's a shocker, with an all Renault-powered top 3, as Seb Vettel pulled the pole with a great last lap and Fernando Alonso came in just behind him in basically a brand new, untested car, after fitting a new diffuser in this morning's practice and running a totally new aero setup only 2 or so laps before ending the run with a fire.

The front runners have all opted for light fuel loads, however, as the crappy ultra soft option tires are only lasting a few laps on the abrasive Chinese circuit. Maybe they're going with short stints early on the soft tires, then going to the harder option. We'll see. Man, I love all the strategery in F1.

19. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

There's a lot to be said for strategery.

[​IMG]

20. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah...well...the rain washed most of the strategeries right down the gutter today.

21. accuratehorn

Another interesting result-Red Bull one and two, Brawn in third. What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-going on? Ferrari has zero points after three races. Strange year in F1.

22. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

First all, Benjamin Button is driving his pants off this season and I'm thinking that Barrichello is probably thinking that he's found yet another team to drive for that is trying to screw him.1) Changing Button's pitting strategy from 3 pits to 2 after Barri passes him at the start and then...
    2) Giving him ****** tires during his 3rd pit so that he couldn't catch Button.

If I were he, I'd be like [​IMG]

NOW to racism...

It's funny that this should be brought up on a thread that was started by a guy named Mandingo

23. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

You'll have to forgive Rubens' sensitivity after all those years getting the same treatment behind Schuey, and with the same boss in Brawn. You'd think maybe he coulda seen this coming?

As for the FIA and the idiot in Spain, I'm not sure what the FIA thinks they're gonna do about it short of pulling the Spanish GP, which I seriously doubt. Last year there were more idiots. This year there was just one afaik. To me that seems like an improvement. My heart says he should have been dealt with by track security...but my brain says "on what grounds". I hate to see that crap, though, as do 95% of all the people at the scene, I'm sure. Too bad one guy can make so many look so ugly.

24. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

25. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure it's that. From what I've seen with most teams, if one driver gets a jump on the other and is leading the points or is near the top, they usually get favored after a few weeks. Not saying I necessarily like or dislike it. Just saying that's the way it is. I think it's done more out of a desire to maximize the team's chances of winning the WDC, and possibly even the WCC, than trying to promote a European champ. This is the 1st time this season RB could make any claim of team orders. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that if RB had come out and won 3 of the first 4 races, that Button would've gotten any preferential strategy on Sunday. McLaren tried that move in '07 & got nothing. If they had pushed their early leading driver, defending 2006 WDC Alonso over the rookie Lewis Hamilton, they'd have had at least a WDC, maybe more. Instead, they favored the rookie. No doubt he had an incredible season for a rookie, but it was still largely his rookie mistakes that cost him and the team as he and McLaren blew his 17 point lead in the last 2 races. Kimi Raikkonen and Ferrari were there to scoop up the prize.

Most people remember LH missed the WDC by only one point that year, but forget that so, too, did Alonso.

Kimi 110 (Ferrari)
    Lewis 109 (McLaren)
    Fernando 109 (McLaren)

26. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

So...M. Schumacher is slated to take over driving the Ferrari for Felipe Massa, who suffered a skull fracture when a spring from another car struck him at Budapest. Not that surprising, actually, as many on the web predicted it with great accuracy, however, Schumie's comeback may not be a done deal...The Link

Also, Massa is looking much improved...The Link The Link

...and if you were looking for a return of F1 to North America...The Link

Sebastian Loeb to Torro Rosso at Abu Dhabi?The Link

27. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Fernando Alonso finally to Ferrari (Official)
    The Link

28. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Wow! The first lap+ of the GP of São Paulo is/was absolutely crazy!

If you taped it or have an opportunity to check it, DO!

29. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

farce of a season, even though it was very competitive.

30. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah...going to all that trouble to increase overtaking and then letting Brawn slip through a diffuser that pretty much negated all the Overtaking Working Group's advances and gave Brawn a huge advantage for the first half of the season (and thus both the championships) pretty much ruined 2009.