Faith-Healing

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Gadfly, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

Link

My heart goes out to these people. This is true faith here. I don't know how a Christian could condone this action from God.

This isn't the way it's supposed to work. I would be pissed. You pray and put all your faith in God, and He fails you where someone who didn't give two shits about God would have a living, breathing son.

I know (because I've experienced it) ***-holes are talking behind their backs. I've seen people say to the face of a grieving mother a child’s death was their fault because they didn't have enough faith.

I know; I know. “He could have been saved from a fate worse than death.” To which I say, he could have found the cure for cancer… Only God needs cancer to kill people that would have a fate worse than cancer.

2. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

I am highly confused here.....why was the needed treatment not done?

3. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

Because a 16-year-old in Oregon has the right to refuse medical treatment and exercised that right. He chose not to receive medical treatment because of his religious beliefs.

4. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

5. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

6. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

The doctors had to tell him what the condition and risks associated with treatment and inaction were. The kid then made a choice. Is it really ours to judge?

7. i don't think you're really gonig to have much of a debate here. i guess you're assuming people will take a position and then arguing against it, but i doubt too many people would defend this.
    i realize there are large numbers of these people, but as a percentage it is pretty clear that an overwhelming majority of christians seek professional medical help and would probably think this is insane, which it is.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I agree it's stupid, but there's also the related question of: is it right or not that the kid has the right to make a stupid decision that will cost him his life? It's somewhat related to the physician-assisted suicide debate, although not exactly the same.

9. You've probably heard of Peter Popoff. He was caught red handed, "preying" on victims to the tune of millions. It's sick.
    i guess sick can be in quotes as well.

10. NameAlreadyInUse

NameAlreadyInUse 500+ Posts

This story is an example of an attitude that I just don't have the ability to comprehend. Truly sad.

11. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

12. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

Any Christian who finds this behavior appalling and reprehensible? I don’t know how you can. These people had faith in Jesus to heal their son. More faith in Jesus than man, and look what it got them.

We cannot conclude these people are stupid. I respect someone who puts everything on the line for their beliefs. These same people would likely risk their life to save you.

I’ve been on a bit of a religious rollercoaster the past few months. This just pissed me off. What is the point of praying at all? Jesus taught us how to pray. We are to only ask forgiveness, daily bread, and His will be done. I feel like “the power of prayer” is a lie. The whole idea of church seems like a Ponzi scheme.

13. marghorn

marghorn 25+ Posts

14. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

While stop at just healing? Why don't they jump off of buildings and wait for God to temporarily suspend the laws of gravity?

15. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

God gave us brains to learn about the body and heal ourselves.

16. TenDeadF1ngerz

TenDeadF1ngerz 100+ Posts

18. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

I think what these wackos are doing would also qualify as tempting God, hence the comparison to throwing themselves off buildings.

19. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

22. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

23. ShinerChE

ShinerChE 250+ Posts

Only a freaking idiot would take that passage as literally meaning just sit around and food, money, water, housing, clothing, etc. will appear. Its speaking about being content in one's own situation and focusing ones life on God and not possessions. By the way faith healers are freaking idiots and don't have an accurate understanding of their so called "faith".

24. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

25. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

26. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

I think to myself every day how grateful I am that I was raised by my parents, both of whom do not subscribe to any of this silliness.