Fajita marinade?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by TheFied, Apr 3, 2007.

1. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

What do you guys use?

For beef, I have a simple one I use. Basically soak in either soy sauce or worchestershire sauce with pepper rubbed on for 30min to overnight in the fridge.

But my wife doesn’t like beef as much as chicken. So what do you guys use for chicken? What I use is more for red meats.

2. riloh05

riloh05 100+ Posts

zesty italian salad dressing. marinate 24hrs, grill, and serve. BTW, it doesnt have to be fancy i use kraft.

3. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

For a quick and easy marinade for chicken, I usually use teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and garlic.

For a more traditional taste, I guess, here's a recipe that is really good for both chicken and beef:

1 orange, juiced
    2 limes, juiced
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    3 chipolte chiles, in adobo sauce
    3 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt

4. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

the heb predone fajitas kick ***. i just don't bother doing them myself anymore.

5. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Another vote for Italian dressing for chicken fajita marinade. I used to use Paul Newman's, but HEB brand works fine too.

6. Kwisatz

Kwisatz 500+ Posts

I use italian dressing and some Fiesta brand fajita seasoning for beef and chicken.

7. crazyhornsfan

crazyhornsfan 25+ Posts

Shiner Bock for 24hrs.

8. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

one bottle of the mesquite marinade from Lowry's
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1/2 bottle mexican beer
    1/2 cup Italian dressing
    Onion powder

and if your adventuresome 1/2 can apricot nectar--

3-4 hrs and poke lots holes in meat to absord marinade

I like the HEB fajitas-- but still use marinade

if you buy extra freeze the extra slabs in this marinade-- 3-4 weeks then thaw-- they will be the best you ever had

9. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Lime juice
    sea salt

Marinate 1 hr.

Cook over hot mesquite fire.

That's the classic.

Otherwise:

lime juice
    Bolner's Fiesta brand fajita seasoning

marinate at least 1 hr, grill.

To get REALLY fancy:

La Martinique Poppy Seed Dressing (adds oil and a touch of sweetness -- apply liberally)
    Bolner's fajita seasoning

Marinate overnight, grill. This recipe is actually responsible for my marriage -- we were cooking fajitas per this recipe for a party, and my wife and a friend had heard we made the best fajitas in town, so they came over to mooch some fajitas and beer. And I turned out to be both an amazing cook AND irresistably charming -- the rest is history. [​IMG]

10. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

11. recycle bin

recycle bin 25+ Posts

Any fajita marinade has to include beer. I use whatever spices I have, or am in the mood for, and then enough beer to completely cover the meat. It doens't even have to be expensive beer, just whatever is on sale. Marinate at least over night and the longer the better.

12. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

my famous chicken marinade:
    zesty italina dessing from craft, 1 cup
    soy sauce, 1/2 cup
    terriyaki sauce, 1/4 cup
    red or white wine vinegar, 1/4 cup
    a couple sqeezes of yellow mustard
    marinate about 6-8 hours
    before putting on grill, use a chicken rub

13. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

in my opinion, pappasito's makes the best beef fajitas i've ever had. a lot of people will say that they prefer lupe tortilla's but the one time i went there, it seemed as if the lime juice they use in their marinade ruined the texture. i prefer the simplistic elegance of the pappasito's beef fajitas. does anyone here know what they use in their marinade?

w/ regards to chicken fajitas, the ones at el tiempo in houston are phenomenal.

i once tried the italian dressing on chicken and foreman'd that ****, but it turned out bland and pretty tasteless (i even used the "robust" dressing especially made for marinades).

apart from smoke, what makes the pappasito's fajitas so damn tasty?

14. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

Pappasito's does have the best fajitas ever.

A waitress there told me it's a mixture of pineapple juice and soy sauce.

15. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

16. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

I've bought two types of fajitas from HEB, and the non-cooked (pre-marinated) chicken is absolutely terrible. The pre-cooked meat (comes frozen in zip-lock bag), however, is quite tasty, but the non-cooked chicken is overpoweringly salty in every sense of the two words. I had some of it again the other night (split the large bag up into smaller bags since it was for myself) and my lips were chapped b/c of the dehydration the very next day. This was before the wind/cold, and I even tried to counter balance the saltiness with excessive water, but nothing worked...

Anyway, that's my HEB fajita rant. Pre-cooked = good. Non-cooked (pre-marinated) = bad. Although I've always been curious... is that pre-cooked meat good for you in the hormonal/preservative sense?

17. pigboy1

pigboy1 25+ Posts

Papasitos Marinade...

3 parts unsweetened pineapple juice
    2 parts Soy Sauce
    1 part water

18. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

thank you,
    may you live to see vince youngs great grandkids win NC's for texas

19. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

there are 2 diiferent brands of HEB premarinaded fajitas.

you need the ones with the festive lettering, not the more plain looking, cheaper blue-wrapped ones.

if you're talking about nthe right ones, the saltiness comment is odd. I just had some today.

20. 3_yard-out

3_yard-out 100+ Posts

This one from Alton Brown is awesome. Even if you only do it for an hour or two, it still gets a lot of flavor.

1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    4 scallions, washed and cut in 1/2
    2 large cloves garlic
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    3 tablespoons dark brown sugar or Mexican brown sugar

Puree all that stuff and pour it on skirt steak in either a bag or a shallow dish, and you are good to go.

21. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the recipes. I tried one the same day but bought some Lawry's premix (like a salad dressing) marinade of "Mesquite with Lime". Put it on the chicken breast and rubbed some more pepper. Left it in the fridge overnight and it was better than the HEB uncooked premade fajitas IMHO.

I'll try some of these recipes too.

22. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

23. stina

stina 100+ Posts

We use the same marinade for chicken and beef. Use a meat mallet on the beef first. Whacking the daylights out of it will make both you and the meat more tender. [​IMG]

1 beer
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 red pepper, crushed (we have a tobasco plant in a pot)
    1 onion sliced
    the juice of one lime
    fresh black pepper to taste

We really like the beer and lime flavor combo.