Fall Camp 2015

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Looks like TE Blake Whiteley is lost for the season - knee injury, maybe ACL.

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well you know, it's been a couple of years since we've had a tight end suffer a debilitating injury, so I guess we were on borrowed time there.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Yep, Whiteley ripped his ACL. Andrew Beck has been dealing with a sore knee this week; and we all know the deal with Devo. That leaves DeAndre McNeal, Alex De La Torre and recently converted Garrett Gray at TE.

Edwin Freeman - ankle injury
    DeShon Elliott - toe
    Johnathan Gray - elbow
    Breckyn Hager - shoulder
    Jacorey Warrick - hamstring injury
    Kirk Johnson - in the Pit.

This isn't looking good. But, with a Strong team, when things look tough....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I feel bad for Whiteley. RS last year and will miss this year. That's really bad luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Freshman OL Buck Major working right in with second-team at left tackle. This grouping caused a personnel shift of Tristan Nickelson (who had been manning the left tackle position for most of the week) moving back over to right tackle and kicking former starting LT Marcus Hutchins inside from backup right tackle to backup right guard. It should be noted, this was the first day with this grouping, but it says a lot about how the staff feels about Major to get him this involved this early as Major's been on campus for no longer than a week. You don't usually redshirt second-string offensive linemen. If the grouping sticks, Major could be a factor (at least for depth) in 2015.

WR John Burt had a big play on Thursday where he "burned" CB Duke Thomas in a ones-versus-ones team period. Burt continues to draw rave reviews. This may be one reason a bunch of DBs had to stay after practice on Thursday to do extra running and up-downs.

It's not exactly news, but it seems like a foregone conclusion at this point that the starting LBs in the 4-3 nickel package will be Peter Jinkens and Malik Jefferson. If so, Jinkens is poised to be on the field for 80-90% of snaps this season if this remains the case.

Per one source, TE/WR Deandre McNeal is "getting better everyday," which is important with the TE position currently in a bit of flux. McNeal, a freshman, represents by far the most upside of any TE candidate on the current Texas roster but the main concern was his ability to understand a relatively tough-to-learn position so quickly. His development with the loss of Whiteley has become critical. He'll be receiving lots of extra snaps in the next two weeks with Whiteley out of action. Fans should certainly hope McNeal's progression continues as he's a freak athlete and the sooner he's on the field for meaningful snaps, the better.

Another day, another great report about DT Chris Nelson. Nelson has had a few nagging injuries to start fall camp, but those seem to be pretty much in the rearview. Sources talk about his low center of gravity and ability to disrupt like he's going to be a force. The depth on the Texas defensive line is one of the strongest points of the whole team.
    [Per a poster on another site]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The biggest question involving quarterback Tyrone Swoopes is not his strong arm. Nobody is concerned about his ability to look good in practice. Swoopes' ability to learn the playbook has never been questioned.

However, his ability to rebound after a hit is unknown.

Swoopes admitted he was "nervous" after sustaining more than one hit during a loss against Baylor last season. You give the young man credit for being honest, but every opponent knew the key to throwing Swoopes off his game was getting in his face. To be fair, the offensive line struggled last season, making it easy to see why Swoopes was concerned about getting hit.

Even though Jerrod Heard is still battling for the top spot, it appears Swoopes will start against Notre Dame. Both quarterbacks are supposed to play in the season opener. We just do not know how much playing time Heard will receive.

Texas coach Charlie Strong said he is not concerned about Swoopes ability to rebound from a hit once it occurs during the Notre Dame game.

"Sometimes when you've been knocked down, you can pick yourself back up," Strong said. "I think he's been one of those guys who has been knocked down. You have to have enough around you. That's what I said to him, that's what I said to our staff, you don't want to put it all in his hands. We have to play better up front. We have to be able to block people."

One of the things Strong disliked was Swoopes' body language after a bad play last season. Swoopes would look down, he was visibly discouraged, and he lacked the confidence to shake off a mistake and move on.

Strong said Swoopes is a different player.

"It's totally different now," Strong said. "His body language, it's not one of those where he walks around with this head down. He can't do that anymore. I told him that. It's none of that anymore."

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I cannot wait to see John Burt in the lineup and catching passes versus ND. Among the receiver corps maybe he will be Shipley for the QB's.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Should it not be 3-3 nickel defense?

9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yes. 4-3-5 only works in the Canadian Football League.

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Since he mentioned 2 LBs, one can assume it's a 4-2-5. Although the DE's might be swapped out for a "Fox" guy or whatever.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The player I saw in the TCU and pig people games should never be allowed to take another snap as you cannot get worse than pitiful. While I hope Strong has him back in the land of playing like a major college QB; instincts say otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WorsterMan

^ This.

I trust Charlie, but instincts about TS's behavior & play last year are my single biggest fear for this team going into this season.

13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Texas players are very excited about the new up-tempo because the system requires them to think less.

Here is a breakdown of what occurred last season during a play.

Player would run a play, get in the huddle and then wait. The delay gave defenses plenty of time to regroup. It also took away the momentum of the Longhorns offense.

Now things are much different.

"It's run to the line as quick as you can," Texas tight end Andrew Beck said. "We're all looking back for the signal, and the lineman don't look back. They block during the play and run to the next spot. Their job is to go and line up. Whether the quarterback gives them time or tells them what to do, we all kind of look over and get the signals for ourselves and run the play."

According to other players, the offense is moving 1,000 times faster than last season.

Strong was recently asked about safety Jason Hall. As always, Strong was honest.

Hall is known for being a hard-hitting player, but Strong said the safety was not a factor after a loss against Oklahoma last year. He believed Hall was too focused on his hit against Samaje Perine and did not improve throughout the season.

With DeShon Elliott out nursing a toe injury, Strong said Hall has played well in training camp.

"When you look at him, he's a starter," Strong said. "He should do very well. You expect improvement from his first year to his second year. The thing about it, Dylan Haines is back there, so you have those two guys. (Adrian) Colbert is very impressive back there right now. You know what happens? When you get freshman, and you get guys that can play, the upperclassman, they know if you can play or not. Then they step up their game. That's what has happened. Those young guys are really making everyone step up their game. It's been fun to watch."

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 5
  15. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

16. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 1
  17. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Strong presser 8/22/15

• Like Like x 2
  18. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Thanks, Gz.

19. WorsterMan

This is great news on several fronts. The primary benefit: the up tempo will help our O be more efficient and productive and it will gas / give opposing D's a lot of trouble.:hookem:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  20. WorsterMan

THIS is so Awesome on so many levels!!! :hookem::hookem::hookem:

21. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The Longhorns wrapped up fall camp on Saturday with a scrimmage inside Darrel K. Royal Texas-Memorial Stadium, and one of the highlights of the day was freshman running back Chris Warren, according to sources.

Warren took full advantage of his opportunities with the 1st team, which arose due to starter Johnathan Gray being held out to rest after getting a bit banged up this week and backup D'Onta Foreman being out virtually all day due to a small injury.

Warren, the No. 6 RB in the country and No. 56 player overall, scored on about a 20-yard touchdown run up the middle against the first team.

The big back, who checks in at 6-foot-2 and 232 pounds, has gotten rave reviews from both head coach Charlie Strong and QB coach Shawn Watson this fall.
    [Short HD article and video]

• Like Like x 4
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Baylor looks bad compared against CS.

23. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The players speak (8-22-15)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Charlie Strong? Hell, Baylor looks bad compared against Charlie Manson.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 2
  26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

– Although the offense had some success early in the scrimmage, the defense absolutely dominated the offense as the scrimmage went on.

– Was told that the defense started to impose it’s will so much that at a certain point the offense was 1st and around 3 and the defense held them for 4 straight downs.

– Am told at that time, it was a bit of a mixture of first and second team players. Was also told that Heard took a snap and attempted to run the ball in. He apparently tried to hit the corner and Holton Hill ran him down and tackled him just before he got into the end zone.

– I’m told that Holton Hill and Kris Boyd both look the part. Am told they look "very natural and comfortable."

– Did not get a list of the entire 1st team offensive line but was told that Vahe ran with the 1s at RG and Perkins was at RT.

– Swoopes took all the first team reps and I’m told he just looks more in command of the offense than Heard. Was told that he did drops his eyes a few times at the snap which is something that got him in trouble last year but he quickly looked up and got his head down field. The protection broke down a lot and he made some plays with his feet.

– Was told that the offense seems to be simplified in that, similar to the way Boykin (TCU) played last year, Swoopes seems to be looking at two subsequent targets and if it’s not there he’s taking off.

– Apparently Ridgeway played like a man possessed. A source said that on one play he got into the backfield, grabbed the running back and threw him to the ground but not before he stripped the ball. He apparently recovered the fumble and ran it back for a touchdown.

– Was told Dorian Leonard had a nice catch which was positive since there had been some reports earlier in fall camp that he had struggled a bit with his hands.

– I’m also told that 3rd string quarterback Kai Locksley looked really good in Saturday’s scrimmage. Was told that he has a nice pocket presence, stands tall and doesn’t panic. Had at least one TD pass and am told would’ve had another but the receiver couldn’t quite haul it in. Source said that Locksley looks like he could be a really good quarterback for Texas down the road. "He didn’t look like a freshman."

– Generally the offense was looking to run the ball a lot. A lot of read option stuff. But again, it was apparently difficult as the defensive line were playing out of their minds. And Ridgeway according to a source "looks like a first rounder."
    [Per TFB article]

• Like Like x 2
  27. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Here are five players poised for breakout seasons this year.

Hassan Ridgeway, Jr., DT. Ridgeway is poised to have a breakout season in 2015. With the loss of defensive tackle Malcom Brown to the NFL, the Longhorns will look for Ridgeway to step up. He’ll be a cog on the defensive line. In 2014, he recorded 46 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and six sacks. The Longhorns will need Ridgeway to provide a strong replacement for Brown.

Naashon Hughes, So., DE. Hughes (No. 40) had a solid redshirt freshman year. He recorded 30 total tackles and three and half tackles for loss during his first season of play for Texas. During his first two years, he was stuck in the depth chart. But in 2015, he’ll have an opportunity to have a big season and be a breakout player. Hughes will play the fox defensive end position.

Daje Johnson, Sr., WR. Johnson has shown that he can be game changer. But he’s gotten in his own way during his career as a Longhorn. He’s been suspended to start his first three seasons at Texas. But Johnson appears to have turned the corner. He’s a player the Longhorns need to step up. With his an athletic ability, Johnson has an opportunity to be an important playmaker in Texas’ new spread offense.

Tyrone Swoopes, Jr., QB. Swoopes was thrown under the bus by the Longhorn faithful after his performance in Texas’ final two games where he threw a combined five interceptions. Despite his lackluster performance last season, the 6-foot-4, 244 pound quarterback has shrugged off the negativity and has put together a solid fall camp. Head coach Charlie Strong named him the starting quarterback entering fall camp and barring a setback, it appears Swoopes will keep his starting job when Texas takes on Notre Dame.

John Bonney, Fr., CB. Bonney is primed to be an impact player in 2015. After a redshirt year, Bonney was the starting nickel cornerback during spring practice and has continued to line up as the starter at that position during fall camp. Bonney is a player who has good instincts and will play a key role at the nickel cornerback.
    [Per DallasNews.com]

• Like Like x 2
  28. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Taylor Doyle and playing center - By: Chris Hall

It was fall camp 2007 when my football life changed forever. Coach McWhorter asked me to his office.

The news was bad news: he asked me to voluntarily play 2nd string. No, that’s not how coaches decide depth charts. But it sometimes happens for the betterment of the team. Let me explain.

We were going into camp with only one center on scholarship — Dallas Griffin. His very capable backup was suffering from lingering injury issues. Coach asked me to step back from guard, and a potential starting position, to spend fall camp learning center. The fact is, the team needed it. If Dallas got hurt, we’d be in desperate straits.

ICYMI: Dallas did get hurt, unfortunately. Good thing I had played center for all of three months prior.

The differences between guard and center are tremendous, some physical, but it’s mostly mental. The center “quarterbacks” the offensive line and gets everyone on the same page. He recognizes defenses, “IDs” linebackers, and makes blocking calls pre and mid-play.

In order to do all that, a center has to understand his offense on a high level. It’s more than memorizing plays. He needs to know what the offense is trying to accomplish as a whole. Effectively, he must know every lineman’s responsibility, on every play versus every defensive front. Even if he can’t play every position physically, he should be able to “play” every position conceptually.

I studied our offense like I studied for class. I learned more in two weeks at center than I had absorbed in two years at guard. The problem wasn’t McWhorter’s teaching, the problem was my prior laziness. As a young guard, I didn’t have to know who the center should ID [or] when to work up on inside zone — the tackle would yell “OVER OVER OVER!” as he shoved me from behind. I could simply listen to the center and tackle, and block the big ugly in front of me if I got confused.

All that changed when I moved to center. Taylor Doyle has made that change, as well.

Doyle was stuck in the vague cycle of clean-up duty and scout team most his career. It’s a cycle that can be difficult to break out of, but when opportunity knocked Doyle answered. In the 4th year of his career he became a consistent contributor to the team.

Prior to his seven starts at center, Doyle was both a tackle and guard. The reason he moved to center: injuries. After Dom Espinosa was lost for the season, Doyle was the only lineman on the roster with center experience. He played it his junior year in high school.

Doyle enters this season on the Rimington Watch List, an award given to the nation’s best center. This is quite the cinderella story for a guy once buried on the depth chart....

• Like Like x 3
  29. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I hope Doyle gets the mythical Gaskamp award this year. It would bode very well for us for a senior OL to have a breakout season.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Really great insight into the position by Chris Hall. It makes one appreciate the complexities of learning and excelling at a particular role on the team.