Fall Camp 2015

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Fox is one position where our talent level is pretty good - Roberson, Hughes, and Omenihu have gotten good reviews throughout Fall Camp.

Apparently, Bluiett played both basketball and baseball in HS, so he probably has very good hands. He also played some TE in 2012/13.

2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Also, McNeal has been working at WR some.

HornSports spoke with an unnamed coach who "loves the thought of lining up McNeal at H-back and then motioning him out wide. If a LB follows him, that's a mismatch and an easy read for the QB."

So, it just makes sense that he works with Norvell's group for awhile.

This kid/man has so much potential - fast enough, strong, never quit attitude. He's a miss-match nightmare waiting to happen, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Based on what I have read McNeal is very talented and versatile. Perhaps he has "it" and will contribute and be very productive in this offense.

4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

We had the opportunity to chat with a coach about which players he expects to start or play significant minutes. This is how things stand two weeks before the team heads to South Bend:

QuarterbackTyrone Swoopes is going to start. That shouldn’t surprise anyone. We also expect Jerrod Heard to see the field at a planned time (which is still TBD). It’s worth noting that there was no 1a & 1b vibe in our conversation – right now Swoopes is the starter and Heard is his backup.

Running backJohnathan Gray is the obvious starter. D’Onta Foreman has an edge on Chris Warren, but both backs are likely to get carries. The X-factor is how well Gray heals over the next 10 days – he’s got several minor injuries, although none are considered serious. Regardless, Gray is a veteran so he will probably be held out of drills when possible.

Wide Receiver – The safe bets, depending on formation and personnel, are that Marcus Johnson and Armanti Foreman will line up out wide and Daje Johnson will line up in the slot. There’s a lot of discussion about the 4th receiver – if they want a big body outside we’re told John Burt has a slight lead on Dorian Leonard and Lorenzo Joe.

Tight End/H-back/FullbackAndrew Beck will take the field for the first series. The coaches like Beck’s ability in tight on the line to block or sneak into the secondary. Beyond Beck, the names are Alex De La Torre and DeAndre McNeal. Both players give the offense loads of flexibility in terms of formations and motions (De La Torre in a fullback/H-back role; McNeal in a flexed TE/H-back role).

NOTE: According to our source, the playing time for a 4th receiver, TE, H-back, or fullback will be determined in these final two weeks. The coaches will consider formations, flexibility, and personnel groupings ahead of any specific player. In other words, Burt, Joe, Leonard, Newsome, Warrick, McNeal, and De La Torre are considered even enough that coaches will prioritize things like formation, and down/distance over any of them. It is worth noting that the coaches really feel good about all of the above players being able to contribute when their number is called.

Offensive line – The only surefire bets are Taylor Doyle at center, Sedrick Flowers at guard, and Kent Perkins at either guard or tackle. The final two spots are going to be filled by some combination of Connor Williams, Marcus Hutchins, and Patrick Vahe. Williams has a sizeable lead over the other two. Kent Perkins’ position will be determined by whether Hutchins or Vahe gets the nod.

NOTE: There will be a rotation, but it’s not expected to be heavy/frequent. Because the Irish’s line is above average, this will not be a game where the coaches sub to build depth. Rodriguez, Cuney, Hodges, and Nickelson are the top four reserves but all are considered to be behind the sixth man (above) that does not make the starting rotation.

Defensive Tackle – Despite missing a large part of the offseason, look for both Hasaan Ridgeway and Tank Jackson to play starter’s minutes. The top two tackles that will rotate in are Poona Ford and Paul Boyette – both are expected to play a considerable amount.

Defensive EndShiro Davis and Bryce Cottrell will rotate, but regardless of alignment, look for one of those two to be on the field for almost every snap.

FOX EndNaashon Hughes is the starter and has impressed coaches with his ability to flow out into the flat in pass coverage. Caleb Bluiett will be used as a pure pass rusher. Derick Roberson was very impressive but his injury limited practice time, so he may not see as much of the field in South Bend as he will against Rice.

LinebackerDalton Santos’ injury kept him on the shelf longer than expected, and Peter Jinkens and Malik Jefferson have shined in his absence. The coaching staff believes they can play almost any personnel package or formation with those two ‘backers on the field. Chief reserves mentioned were Edwin Freeman, Tim Cole, and Anthony Wheeler.

CornerbackDuke Thomas has one spot on lockdown. What we were told is that Bryson Echols, Antwuan Davis, and the three freshmen (Kris Boyd, Holton Hill, and Davante Davis) will continue to compete for the side opposite Thomas into next week. The coaches think CB will be one of the final roster decisions made. When pressed, our source named Boyd as his best guess to be named a starter.

Safety – Two things stand out: the coaches are very confident in Jason Hall and Dylan Haines as starters. The second point is that they lack that same confidence in the reserves.

NOTE: That’s 10 starters – similar to what we described above with the offense, the coaches feel like they have multiple players that can and will contribute as the 11th guy on the field. Unlike on offense, there is a hierarchy of positions based on the coaches’ confidence. On defense, the coaches like their options on DL and at Nickel over those at linebacker. (Reading between the lines, the players listed at FOX, and at CB plus John Bonney are going to see the field more than others.)
    [Per HornSports]

5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Davante Davis is one of six defensive backs that could potentially start opposite of Duke Thomas at Texas’ other cornerback position.

Davis seems to have the edge amongst all of those players right now, with the exception of John Bonney. He and Bonney both worked with the first team at Texas’ scrimmage on Saturday when UT was in its nickel package, which used Thomas as the nickel.

There’s no question he’s going to play, and play a lot.

The Longhorns staff loves his athleticism, the fact that he’s a taller CB that can flip his hips and run with the speedsters they’ll see in the Big 12 and also break down and tackle in the open field.

I think he’ll be the first of the freshmen cornerbacks that Texas uses. If he doesn’t start right away it will only be a matter of time before he does.

This was one the Longhorns coaching staff desperately wanted and had to fight off Florida State to get it done.

Eventually, Charlie Strong’s hard work paid off when Davis ended up choosing UT over FSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Miami and Ohio State.
    [Per HD article]

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It's called Finessin. Get with the program.:smile1:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  7. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

My glass half-full eyeball test ... countering worrisome views.... sees Strong as a player-development coach, far more willing to put talent where it will work, move talent around.. fill positions of need with whatever talent is available... raise the level of play through constant competition... and so on.

Plus play freshmen, even use them to force development and game-attitude of upper classmen. Remember how it took until after the OU game for Mack to dare to insert true freshmen into the lineup? ...

And Strong has confidence in molding a complete team around a quarterback instead of relying on a single player (QB) to pull the team along. Then with stellar QB play -- on top of those fundamentals -- well there you have a title contender. Now that you have all the rest of these coaching philosophies working for you.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 1
  9. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

fundamentals. fundamentals. fundamentals.
    also... speed, power, point of attack

Anybody ever take Karate lessons? There's a punch (or kick) and then there's a punch!

10. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

Alright, alright, alright:hookem:

11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

Despite not yet playing a down at the University of Texas, Malik Jefferson has already cultivated an aura few first-year talents have ever claimed on the Forty Acres.

He’s a high school All-American, the No. 1 linebacker in the country for the 2015 class and the lynchpin of the recruiting class that’s supposed to restore Texas to prominence.

Oh yeah, Jefferson is slotted to run out of the tunnel against Notre Dame as a starter.

No pressure, right?

As it turns out, he is a little human.

“I’m really nervous, to be honest,” Jefferson said of Texas’ first game against Notre Dame. “It’s going to be crazy.”

A five-star prospect, Jefferson arrived on the Forty Acres in January with more pub than any Longhorn currently on the roster who doesn’t reside at quarterback. Leaving Mesquite Poteet High School, Jefferson had earned his accolades. Enrolling early at Texas, however, he’s had to prove himself all over again.

An 18-year-old freshman, Jefferson started to workout with third and fourth-year program players, so the locker room whispers and jabs came quickly – the five-star savior had arrived. Senior cornerback Duke Thomas pushed Jefferson the most, yapping at him almost non-stop.

Welcome to college, superstar.

But overall, it didn’t take Jefferson long to garner his teammate’s esteem.

“Everyone takes notice when a five-star [recruit] shows up,” senior wide receiver Daje Johnson said. “But he backs it up. He works hard, plays hard and has earned everyone's respect.”

Jefferson quickly showed his athleticism and his personality to his teammates, and his spring game performance – five tackles and a forced fumble that resulted in a touchdown – provided fans the first opportunity to see No. 46.
    Almost everyone came away impressed, except linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary that is. When the spring game grades for the linebackers came out, Jefferson’s 53, out of 100, was the lowest among his position group.

“I was a little upset, but it was a motivational thing to do better,” Jefferson said. “I had a lot of critical errors and mistakes. It happened so fast I just couldn’t get used to it all.”

Three months later, Jefferson’s grasp of the collegiate game is improved. Despite switching to middle linebacker, a spot he’s never played, Jefferson said he believe he’s close to playing without thinking again.

Texas needs him to.

Jefferson is so special the Longhorns broke a long-standing rule to let him speak with the media despite not yet playing a game.

“I’m not a star,” Jefferson said. “I’m not anything yet until I get out there and show myself. But I’m going to continue being who I am, continue to lead these guys and bring Texas back.”
    [Full 247 article]

• Like Like x 3
  12. WorsterMan

clap, clap, clap I am ready!!!

Attitude, focus, maximum hostility, execute your assignment!

• Like Like x 2
  13. WorsterMan

But does he know how to give a good head fake?

• Like Like x 1
  14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Anxious to see some Longhorn football, and it sounds like the defense will be pretty good again. It all hinges on the offense, particularly at QB.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

OL.

16. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

That's a shame. Strong agrees with me I agree with Charlie that Elliott will be a difference-maker in the backfield.

17. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Practice Update

- Monday and Tuesday were both reportedly full-pads.

- Freshman OL Buck Major has been working with third group this week and "mixing in" with the two's - which is different than the previous week and Saturday scrimmage when Major was reportedly getting more significant work with the two's at LT. All you can figure is that maybe Wickline was throwing Major into the fire with the two's to start to see how Major reacted. Tinkering.

- Marcus Hutchins
    and Tristan Nickelson were reportedly mostly working with the second-group at the tackles on Monday and Tuesday, a grouping that seems likely to be the second-team personnel for Week 1.

- The starting OL remains (L to R) Williams, Flowers, Doyle, Vahe, Perkins. At this point, any changes would be a surprise.

- DE Shiro Davis reportedly had a good practice Monday, and it seems like people are talking about him more - like he's actually looked better and better through the preseason. Apparently, he showed good pass-rush moves on Nickelson and Connor Williams both in drills. Davis has looked good in practice/camp settings before, though. In 2015, he's going to be depended upon to actually live up to his physical potential when it counts.

- The secondary remains unchanged in nickel and base with the starters per multiple sources - John Bonney usually as the LCB in base and Antwuan Davis as the LCB in nickel when Bonney goes to nickel for now.

- CBs Kris Boyd and Devante Davis have reportedly been "switching sides" back and forth with the two's. Holton Hill is still "working with the three's," but one person also said he was definitely at least working in with the two's at points. Hill did get a late start to fall camp, so the whole situation should clearly be considered as still developing.

- DT Hassan Ridgeway is getting healthier and healthier it seems - one person said he's starting to make impact with the "first" defensive line (along with Desmond Jackson) now that both are back working with the one's. Apparently, it's making it a little tougher to run the football in practice than it was to start camp.

- RB Chris Warren continues to look really good per several sources; you have to pencil him in as seeing at least decent 2015 playing time at this point. People around practice just love how hard he runs and it's been more-than-evident at practices open to the media.

- My biggest concern with Warren's high school film was his upright style that would seem to give defenders too big a target at the college level as he's a big, tall runner. Sometimes those kinds of runners can get decleated and worse. However, Warren runs behind his pads with some power and always pumps his knees through contact. He doesn't present half the surface-area to defenders in the box that I had envisioned.
    [Per poster on another site]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

This is killing me. It will be 7 more days before the first snap. I am dying a slow death over here.
    Hopefully that ****-show in Waco will provide some more entertainment between now and then or I will surely die.
    IN the meantime, Godz, even if you don't have any updates will you do me this kindness and please make stuff up?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Not good news:

Hager apparently in a full knee brace.
    Kirk Johnson was back, but wearing a heavy wrap on a shoulder.

20. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Good news:

I just returned from the future and we win the NC this year!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG] RB D'Onta Foreman #33
    The first time I saw D'Onta Foreman run last season I thought, "Whoa, mannelly!" His second carry garnered a, "Holy moley! This kid will be seeing the field early and often."

Two carries for 37 yards. I know it was North Texas, but the true freshman was running with absolutely no fear.

He ended the year with a grand total of 15 carries and a high of 5 in one game. Yeah, he hurt his hand in the Okie State game and missed the last two "contests," but still... only 15 carries?

As it stands now, Foreman is the #2 guy behind J Gray and the coaches have liked what they've seen from the speedy pounder. They also like what Chris Warren has shown - enough to make him the #3 or possibly #2a.

It's a pretty safe bet that these two bruisers will be seen on the goal line and short yardage situations, but Foreman is likely to be the first to spell Gray throughout the game.

22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG] RS LB Edwin Freeman #35
    Edwin Freeman was originally recruited as a safety but, because of how much he was growing, figured to get a look at LB.

Well that’s what has happened and it looks like it’s going to work out best for all parties involved.

Freeman, who played close to the line a ton as a safety in high school, has worked with the first team the majority of fall practice. His background as a safety should bode well in coverage responsibilities and he packs a punch when filling a gap.

The Longhorns seem to be warming to the idea of Peter Jinkens, Tim Cole and Malik Jefferson playing a lot. But Freeman is right there with them.

He, Jefferson and Jinkens were the first team LBs while Cole was out for an unspecified reason. Once Cole came back, and got a few practices under his belt, he’s worked with the 1s.

So Freeman is definitely in the mix and will rotate in a ton, it’s just unclear at this point if he will start.
    [HD article]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  23. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Dartmouth is using robot dummies for practice.

[​IMG]

Strong was asked to comment on it. His reply:

• Like Like x 2
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That is one thing I DON'T miss about MB, all the clapping.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

NO!!! You gotta be kidding me!

26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

That robot has zero moves. No finesse.

• Like Like x 1
  27. WorsterMan

Obviously can't give a good head fake either... what good is this robot!?

28. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

That robot drill reminds me of the old "form tackle" drills of my playing days. Form two lines, one line is the ball carrier and just runs forward.

The other line is the tackling line, you break down and supposedly make a perfect form tackle on the ball carrier.

Then you change lines and keep going. I remember my sophomore year we wear doing that drill and I was in the ball carrier line. A big senior was in the tackling line and started counting the people in the ball carrier line to see who he got to hit. It was your humble moderator, who was his target.

He started pointing at me and said he was going to kill me. The moment of truth came and I ran at him and he lowered his head to deliver a big shot on me. Instead of putting his head to one side of my waiting torso, as a form tackle should be, he just blasted me straight on. He outweighed me by a lot, as I hadn't quite filled out completely and he was a big guy at about 265 pounds.

His blow hit me right in the sternum, where the shoulder pads come together. I had braced myself and kept low. I think in his haste to let me have it, that his head was slightly off center. I went backward and down and he sort of collapsed down, after the big hit.

It looked like a double knockout in a prize fight, all we needed was a referee counting us both out.
    I got to my knees and looked over at him and he was still down face forward. I slowly got on my feet and wobbled around and made it over to the tackling line.

Some coaches and trainers had big boy up to a sitting position and was checking out his neck. He was pretty woozy and they got him over to the bench. He was all right later on. Score one for the Sophomore on this day. I still kind of shudder though, thinking about that hit. I got up first and won some respect from the big bad seniors, but I was glad the drill ended before I had to take another hit. I was still shaken up myself.

29. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

That's what Strong kept looking for last year but never saw it. The culture change appears to be happnin!

• Like Like x 1
  30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Same type deal happened when I was a HS, only I spun out and the big D lineman fell flat on his face. Coach said it was supposed to be like in a game, so, like in a game, I spun when about to be hit. Coach told me I wasn't doing it right. We went again only I went low as he broke down and made his move and he caught my helmet square in his crotch. Coach grabbed my facemask and yelled that we were working on tackling technique and I answered yes sir, and that I was too, only I was working on my not getting tackled technique. I had to be the ball carrier for the whole damn team to tackle after that.

• Like Like x 2