Fall Camp 2022

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Pickle_Nuts

Pickle_Nuts Will travel with tickets.

Texas did not lose the B12 Championship, Major ran out of time, I'll go to the grave with this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And Mack still blows the game by rushing the punter and getting a roughing flag, giving them a first down with time running out.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Card's got a good arm (as does Ewers). I think the difference last year between Card and Casey is that Card needs decent blocking to be effective. Casey could really scramble and improvise (like Sam did, but Casey would pass it on the fly, instead of running it). The pass blocking, especially the OTs vs the Edge rushers, must get up to at least the near-average level.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, but they had our number when Snyder was their coach.

5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

And the question is, Why?
    I don't mean just on these two...but QBs in general. Why all the hyperbolic assertions, presumption, and love/hate?
    There is a rabid obsession with hating one guy and loving another ...oftentimes with such a small sample size and virtually no appropriate frame of reference.
    The convictions/feelings seemingly border on the absurd in intensity.
    And at times whatever criteria is being aplied to fuel the obsession appears so vague and undefined it warrants more curiousity.
    It seems almost personal.
    I'm still trying to figure out how Casey Thompson and Shane Buechele have so many blood relatives in common on HF.
    They don't favor much...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

If Herman had kept Sterlin Gilbert as OC and kept his system then Shane would've started over Sam.
    But Herman wanted a QB/RB type.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

There wasn't anything particularly wrong with Shane. He seemed to get hurt easily and look down Collin Johnson on every play, but he was serviceable until everyone was like "gotta have that guy who bounces off of tackles play every down!"

8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

To me it was a system thing.
    Sam wouldn't fit in Gilberts system.
    Shane didn't fit in Herman's.
    Shane didn't get hurt in Gilberts up tempo, get rid of the ball fast system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. RainH2burntO

Yeah...to be clear...Im not a Casey or Shane hater.
    I was just trying to think of two people that drew/reflected the type of forceful opinions I was referring to.
    I personally could never quite settle on an opinion of either of those...though Ill admit I didnt see a lot I loved from Shane on the field (could have been explained by what you are stating)
    I personally liked the professionalism and dignity Shane handled himself with...
    And I liked CTs confidence but thought him a little reckless.

10. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I saw one that was not his fault, however

11. RainH2burntO

That was part of my own calculation at the time. They had absolutely atrocious lines to play behind...and I just couldn't see SBs style and comfort level working under those circumstances...not to suggest Sam was confortable back there lol...Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have been.

12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Card vs. Ewers. We have a sample size on which to base an evaluation on Card, and it’s not impressive. Certainly not yet. A quick release is apparently not his strength, and he has happy feet.

There is no such data base yet on Ewers. It’s just too early. However, when some analysts claim that he can throw from a phone booth, that tells me something.

We’re 15 days and one big scrimmage away from ULM, and 22 days away from the big game. I’m not counting Ewers out yet, even from starting on the 3rd.

Separation Saturday is two days away.

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And the Statesman had a sports headline the next day along the lines of 'Apple Turnover'.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Chris Simms probably got the absolute worst of that type of thing from our fans.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He and his daddy earned it. Too bad it was 20 years ago because Phil could have gotten an NIL from Bell Helicopter

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  17. RainH2burntO

Yeah...my gut tells me Card will get another shot and not impress....and that Ewers takes over permanently and grows throughout the year, taking lumps along the way and strengthening and solidifying down the stretch..
    But, then again...my gut is grumpy and untrustworthy right now as i am hungry

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

All I have seen of the scrimmage are the few clips posted here. If that throw by Card to the corner of the endzone was his "hi-lite", enjoy warmups.

Yes, it was a nice throw

Yes, it was a TD

YES, HE HELD THE BALL TOO DAMN LONG! In a real game he doesn't make that throw because he's on his butt. If he does get it off, it's a pick six because he couldn't follow through.

If Card is to be our QB, Sark needs to visit Charlie Butt, get a couple of boxes of potatoes, baked them, and create a Mike Leach style drill - toss the hot potato to Card and see how quickly he can get rid of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Here we go

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't know about Phil but what did Chris ever do than take the opportunities offered, play hard (even hurt) and set school records.
    Sure he had his worst game at the worst time.
    But he was treated like **** and yet he is still a huge fan and supporter.

I recently saw him on PFT discussing the transparency of the QB competition at Carolina Panthers.
    He said the one thing he still resents Texas coaches for is they would come to his room and tell him one thing and then go to Major and tell him something different.
    I don't see how Chris deserves your denigration.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

That's so true for everyone here, except me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

You were always a little different

• Hot Hot x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The winning football program at Texas begins their season tonight. Tune in to the LHN at 7 pm for kickoff.

24. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

QB hating is because:
    We Are Texas

25. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Agree with this. I know we have the agree icon, but I don’t understand the hate of QB1 that is as much of tradition here as is the ball grabbing in Colleyville.

26. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Woman’s Soccer?

• Like Like x 1
  27. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was at a practice back when they were Almost always open and without a doubt the most genuine and friendliest player to the kids watching was Chris Simms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Tune in and find out what a post-season winning football team looks like!

29. Sangre Naranjada

Is Tom Herman coaching it?

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I thought he only coached Bowl games

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1