Fall Camp 2022

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 26, 2022.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Give me a minute. I’ll channel my inner Ketchum.

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You must be really HUGE if you have an inner Ketchum!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I heard there were a few limb amputations and an impaling. We can’t seem to catch a break.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

I tend to recall that’s how Colt won the job over Snead in 2006. Hope the results are just as impressive.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Babers mentioned that as an example too.

7. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

A few notable standouts (in a good way) from yesterday's scrimmage...
    (Mostly from IT, wording is mine)

Ja'tavion Sanders - apparently starting to shine in both blocking and as a receiving tight end. Word is he stands out on the field during live action and could quickly emerge as not only one of the best in the Big12 but perhaps in the nation from the looks of current and projected. Those who wanted to see him moved to Edge may be eating some BBQd crow later in year

Casey Cain - ...again. very timely emergence by Cain for the team and it continued yesteday in all facets on the outside from Cain...taking advantage of the loss of Neyor

Ethan Burke - This and other apparent realities should ease troubled minds who thought pass rushing so dire that we needed Sanders. This under the radar name continues to emerge as a consistent standout and, apparently, is wreaking havoc on the oline with some natural pass rushing gifts off the edge and stunting inside. Begs the question again....How good is our oline? But good to see nonetheless

Ovie Oghoufu - Been mentioned consistently throughout Fall camp for work off the edge

Byron Murphy - There are some that think this is the best player on defense and that bodes well for our goal of improved interior play. As a needed bonus, if he and others can create havoc inside, this will make our other rushers off the edge and LBs work much easier...not to mention help disrupt run plays

Vernon Broughton - Continues to get mentions...very similar to above

Quinn Ewers - It was said generally that it looked like Ewers was feeding off being maned the starter and looked like he was stepping up on a new way. Apparently had a good day as QB1. Wouldn't be the first time a college QB starts to shine once he knows he's the guy.....but again it will take some time. Few details were given just a general note of what seened to be a stepping up day from Ewers in his solidified new role

Also continue to hear good reports on secondary and continue to have a hard time getting a read on offensive line

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

9. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Did you purposely refer to ewers as being ‘maned’ the starter? Good job if so :bow:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Brian Davis-@BDavisAAS
    The UT Tower will be lit in full orange with its trademark No. 1 tonight to honor the Longhorns for winning their second straight Directors' Cup after a dominating 2021-22 athletic year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Keilan Robinson

• Hot Hot x 1
  12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

LHN

• Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  13. RainH2burntO

One more note on Saturdays scrimmage...
    Still cannot verify if it was Cam Williams or Kelvin Banks who left w lower leg injury.
    Dont want anyone hurt but pray especially it wasn't Banks...though initial reports suggest injury wasnt thought to be too significant.
    We had an initial report then clarification now another opposing report, so...
    Conflicting reports out and cannot tell for certain who was injured or to what degree. Think we would have heard if it were Banks and significant...though Cam may be called to step up also, so those big fellas are all important at this stage.
    We should get clarification tomorrow.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  14. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Dang it. Stay healthy guys!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

There was a report that both got dinged up. The most common comment is that Banks will be fine. Williams too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Freshman on average play 50% of the season uninjured. If we are relying on freshman at QB and OL, then 6-6 season is not out of the question.

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't know that we're relying on them. And we have some pretty good depth behind them at this point.
    But then again we are dooooooomed!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. 2003TexasGrad

Thank God for Your Wrong!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 2003TexasGrad

Or does that make it My Wrong?

20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yep. Nothing is out of the question. 10-2 is not out of the question either. In my special crystal ball, I see an... Oh darn, it went blank again.:brickwall:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Key injuries last year likely caused 2-3 losses last year. We are 6-6 with slightly more than average injuries.

24. 2003TexasGrad

I'll be ecstatic if we go 8-4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

3 that benefit most from Quinn Ewers
    starting this fall

Brenen Thompson, WR
    [​IMG]

Thompson is a very potent deep threat in the passing game thanks to his insane open-field speed and acceleration off the snap. With that raw arm talent that Ewers brings to the table, Thompson is definitely going to be maximized in this regard.

Ewers’ ability to make all the throws will be able to get Thompson out in space and let him do his thing with that track speed.

Where Thompson still needs to improve is in terms of his ability to move in tight space, and thus fight to make some contested catches.

Keilan Robinson, RB
    [​IMG]

Keilan has one of the most insane explosions within the first few strides of anyone you’ll see at any of the skill positions when he first gets the ball in his hands.

Ewers has the arm that makes opposing defenses weary of how he can spread the field, thus opening up certain windows for Keilan to really hit the hole and do a lot of damage.

I like the idea of Sark being able to get Keilan in space more often this fall on wheel routes, screens, and sweeps.

It often sneaks under the radar that Keilan was so efficient on the ground running between the a and the b gaps... In fact, Keilan averaged more than six yards per carry last season running up the middle, which mostly came on delayed handoffs.

Xavier Worthy, WR
    [​IMG]

A key stat worth noting is that Worthy was the only wide receiver in the Big 12 last season that had a reception percentage on deep balls below 35 without having a single drop while being targeted more than 20 times.

Missing deep balls was something that plagued Card last season. And this is one area where Ewers’ talent should come to life right away this fall.

Where Ewers could actually have some catching up to do in terms of his connection with Worthy... compared to that of Card is on some of the intermediate passes.

Given Ewers’ tendency to rely on his arm too much at times from what we’ve heard, mistakes are going to happen. But [his] ability to really open up this passing game, especially over the top, we’re going to see the deep ball threat that Worthy poses really hit the spotlight this fall.

[More at Hook'Em]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. RainH2burntO

Yep...you never know and i am pulling for him to have a turnaround season, but right now Jones at right tackle with potentially an inexperienced and raw guard on the right next to him could spell big trouble.
    I hope Quinn knows how to sprint left and throw accurate darts across his body while running for his life.
    At least it isnt a RH QBs blindside so there's that...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

DOOOOOOOMED I TELL YA!!!

28. RainH2burntO

All good stuff there. I am particularly fond of the Keilen take...as Ive stated I believe he needs to be utilized more. Aside from just when used on offense..Ive rarely seen the burst he exhibits on punt rush...phenomenal initial burst.
    Good to hear that take on Brenen, too...
    May help ease the pain of losing Neyor. Make no mistake about it...Worthy and Neyor were going to terrorize defenses together. Hope we still can.
    And I hope they are right on Worthy finally getting good deep balls.
    Not just Card but Thompson as well struggled mightily with accuracy deep last season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Freshmen Are Making Waves | Depth Chart

23 min​
    Excellent analysis even though I haven't heard it yet.

Okay, just watched it. Very good. 1 quote that I couldn't help but question:​
    "[The Texas coaches] are bringing in the right type of guys."
    But, can they sing the Eyes?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  30. RainH2burntO

Savion deserves a mention somewhere in the current vein of this thread.
    ...continues to get mentions in a very positive way.
    Even without Neyor..ALOT of playmakers on this roster.
    My concerns now lie pretty much solely with the oline and QB play.
    Think we will go about as far as that takes us as I expect the D to be much improved.
    O needs to keep them off the field more and put our D in a position to succeed.
    Just my take...

• Agree Agree x 1