Fall Camp 2022

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

No offense, but didn't we hear the same thing after Charlie and TM's first year??

And we still don't seem to have a disrupter at DE, which was probably the biggest reason we had a defensive 3rd down conversion rate about last in all of college FB last year. I know we keep hearing about Burke, but don't forget he's been lining up against Christian Jones.

I'm not drinking the orange Kool-Aid until I see the results o the field.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Can't blame ya there. Inflatiation is the name of the game just about every year at Texas.
    inflatiation – to exaggerize something; origin: Hornfans.com.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I absolutely believe we have a number of edge rushers that can and will be effective.
    I feel better about the players than I do the coaches.
    Let's see after 3 games into the season if we have effective edge rushers

4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

3 games? So... Bama and UTSA aren't exactly the type of teams where we can really "gauge" the DEs. Bama because they're Bama and UTSA because they play up-tempo and DEs don't really get pressure in those situations.

I'm thinking the ISU game in Austin and the OK State game in Stillwater will be a good measuring stick if the DEs have actually improved. I'm not expecting a lot, really; our best DE last year had 2 sacks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Sark today....

6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

My doctors have given me 5 months left to live.

If Ewers sewers, I may decide on 2.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Quinn Ewers: From the perspective of Riley Dodge

What are your first memories of Quinn?
    My first memories were his God-given arm talent, and how natural it was. He didn’t try to overpower the football.

When did you truly know what you had in Ewers?
    “Mine was Denton Guyer his sophomore year on the road. They were a top 3 team in Texas, and obviously we were talented. To see him go out, and what we did offensively against that Guyer team was impressive. We got down 14-0 early, and then settled in. He went off, not just in passing game, but the running game. Watching him take over with adversity hitting him in the face was impressive. His short term memory is one of his greatest assists.

Can you talk about the toughness Quinn showed in his time at Southlake Carroll?
    “I knew how tough he was his sophomore year. DeSoto was bringing eight guys, and we were in empty. He was taking shots, and still delivering the ball down the field. He stood in the pocket, and stepped up in the pocket knowing he was going to take shots.

[More at IT]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This ," His short term memory is one of his greatest assists.(assets)"
    is VERY grundling.:coolnana:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

247Sports ranks the top QB-RB-WR trios in college football

#1 : Ohio State
    #2 : USC
    #3 : Alabama
    #4 : Tennessee
    (snicker)

#5 : [​IMG]
    • QB: Quinn Ewers
    • RB: Bijan Robinson
    • WR: Xavier Worthy
    #6 : ou
    #7 : aggy
    #8 : Michigan

[More at Longhorns Wire]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Bijan Robinson & Xavier Worthy named First Team AP Preseason All American.

They were both on the phone when they called me all excited.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Godz
    That is a GREAT horn. How did you do that?

12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

It's an old SS trick.

Steal and Shrink.

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ok Godz
    IF you are no longer here in 2 or 5 mons can I copy and steal? :coolnana:
    Your incredibly well written and informed posts We ALL wait for
    well we will miss that:yes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Better late than never?

They used to have it throughout Spring and Fall camps. Of course, they used to have bukoos of football related programming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ok I AM drinking the burnt orange drink
    I like how many times Sark talked about the atmosphere "in the room".
    I remember other special rooms. And how we played.
    I will take a "good room"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Whatever happens I hope they or someone finds a good spot for Lowell.
    He has been excellent

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

My step-nephew is the voice behind All access. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  18. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

19. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Wow. That’s cool, great job on his part.

20. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Lowell is one of my all time favorites.
    Can you imagine Lowell coupled with Craig Way on a broadcast?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

NR
    Just a great idea:headbang:

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I'm all for this focus on edge rush ends (and the OTs that block edge rush ends).

IMHO, that's been a glaring weakness in our D for a long time: good pass rushing off the edge. (I bet Patterson had something to say about it his first day on the "job")

IMHO, that's also been a glaring weakness in our O for a long time: blocking the opponents' edge pass rushers.

Fix one of the two, 9-10 wins. Fix both 11+ wins.

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And speaking of Patterson, he seemed to mostly prefer moderate sized interior DT who could really move and penetrate into the backfield over the colossal behemoths who control the line by size and brute force.

It seems that we rotate 4 interior DTs frequently, so they each play roughly around 1/2 the time. Maybe the 1st team gets 60% and the 2nd team 40%--I don't know. But, I bet Patterson prefers Murphy/Broughton/Collins/Ross over Coburn & Sweatt.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

INSIDE TEXAS' latest article, 'Question of the day: Who will be UT's most important defensive player in 2022?' has opinions from each of their writers.

Being a fan of Paul Wadlington's takes for many years, I'm only posting his. The above link will take you to the full article.

Paul Wadlington: Gerry Hamilton stole my thunder with the Jaylan Ford selection, but Ford’s crucial nature is also predicated on Texas playing defense the way Pete K wants to play it. That comes with some baggage. What if Texas plays defense a different way? The way the talent distribution on the defense suggests?

Enter Byron Murphy. His penetrating, high motor strengths create disruption at the point of attack and will elevate the prospects of other D-linemen well-suited to playing in that structure. That approach should create more negative plays and turnover potential and disallow an offense from consistently clean pockets and a reliable running game.

Last year, the Texas D had many faults, but chief among them is how easily it could be predicted and controlled. Want more pressure? The best kind comes from inside. Not from wishcasting a transplanted linebacker tweener as an edge presence. Want more disruption in the run game? Play the disruptors and let them disrupt. 2nd and 12 gets opposing offenses off of the running game.

Murphy’s centrality in the D also affirms that actual performance, culture, energy, and seriousness about football trump name familiarity and the persistent patina of recruiting rankings.

I could make a good argument for Jahdae Barron’s trickle down as a lockdown nickel to both run support and pass defense, but let’s see him do it before assuming his impact.

25. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Pshht...
    Tennessee
    "They" are always tryin to pimp those does

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

3 Texas football players that locked up
    starting jobs in second scrimmage

Byron Murphy, NT
    [​IMG]

[T]he nose tackle that stood above the rest throughout fall camp thus far is sophomore Byron Murphy. The former blue-chip recruit and second-year breakout candidate Murphy took the first-team reps for the Longhorns in the scrimmage this weekend.

And Murphy continued to apparently look like one of the best players on this entire first-team defense. He’s clogging up the lanes, and occasionally overpowering the first-team offensive line when rushing the passer up the middle and defending the run.

There wasn’t much that Murphy did in this second scrimmage that was necessarily much better than what he showed throughout fall camp. And that is the reason why he really deserved to win the starting job over Coburn and Sweat at nose tackle.

Casey Cain, WR
    [​IMG]

Probably the most impressive wide receiver that has stepped up in a big way in the last week or so is the former under-the-radar three-star recruit and redshirt freshman Casey Cain. This potential starting outside receiver made the most of his opportunity to get reps with the first team at the z spot.

Cain has definitely earned the first-team reps he’s getting. He’s winning some battles on those tough contested 50/50 balls on the outside, which his large 6-foot-3 and 195-pound frame allow him to do.

Ovie Oghoufo, LB/EDGE
    [​IMG]

The improvements we’ve heard about regarding Oghoufo’s game in fall camp of late include better approaches when defending the run and even more explosiveness off the edge when getting after the quarterback. Oghoufo was already pretty quick off the edge, but adding even more explosiveness isn’t something anyone will argue with.

Missed tackles were a huge issue for Oghoufo last season. But if he can clean that part of his game up, he could be a huge contributor along this front seven this season.

[More at Hook'Em]

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Better NT, better edge rush, and better LB play will make a huge difference. Need Cain and Omiere to step up for injured Neyor. OL pass pro is my biggest fear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. RainH2burntO

JaTavion continues to impress. Has been mentioned as one of the most likely future NFL candidates on the roster. We will see Gunner Helm, but Sanders is making himself hard to ignore with a real presence in passing game and now improved blocking and schematic fit.
    Here's to Ja'Tavion going Jermichael Finley (except for the leaving early part) next few years.
    :hookem:

Texas TE Ja’Tavion Sanders one of team’s most improved players - Burnt Orange Nation

Morning Brew: How Texas tight end Ja'Tavion Sanders became the most improved player on the team

• Like Like x 3
  29. RainH2burntO

Tremendous catch there by Cain...but also worth a wow is the quick decision and release by QE3 (henceforth referred to as Qback)

30. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1