Fall Camp 2022

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 26, 2022.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

WE'RE DOOOOOOMED!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I could listen to Keilan all day. He draws everyone in with that likeability.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

^ Good interviews with those guys. They're both impressive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He isn't slow (or he wasn't in high school).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

TE Ja’Tavion Sanders one of team’s
    most improved players

Initially, Sarkisian said he planned to use Sanders on both sides of the ball, but when Sanders arrived on the Forty Acres last summer, the adjustment to playing tight end was difficult enough that the Longhorns never explored his potential off the edge.

“The first five days of spring ball this year, we were encouraged, but he wasn’t there yet,” Banks said at the start of preseason camp. “And we were still upset a little bit about his lack of physicality, quite frankly. He took that challenge and exceeded our expectations. The next 10 practices, I don’t think he dropped the ball, and he was moving defenders and holding his own in the C area (outside the tackles), which is what we need.”

As as receiver, Sanders projects as a reliable target in the short passing game, a dangerous threat up the seam — as he proved in the Orange-White game — and a player who could once again split out and serve as a jump-ball target in the red zone because of his size and strong hands.

The diverse skill set and positive trajectory for Sanders means he has the potential to become one of the team’s most impactful dual-threat tight ends in recent history — with his big frame and strong hands, Sanders could emerge as the same type of security blanket for Quinn Ewers that David Thomas was for Vince Young.

It took a year for Sanders to adjust to a position with a difficult learning curve, but now he looks poised for a breakout sophomore season.

[More at BON]

• Like Like x 2
  7. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

I used to think the ‘We’re Doomed’ was pretty funny, until last year when we actually were. Maybe when we get an actual serviceable OL I will again. It’s not hopeless this year, but it’s going to take a lot of good breaks, some guys unexpectedly coming through and holding in the 3rd and 4th quarters like we didn’t do last year.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Don't say "holding" when talking about our O-line please.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

SN,

There were times last year that I would have welcomed a holding call because it would have meant that the OL at least got close to the defense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, well, get back to me after we beat Bama. ;)

• Hot Hot x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

14. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Gentle reminder: For Texas, it's the year before the year

This has been a safe opinion since last December or January but I feel it’s never been more evident than now that this will be the year before the year. What I mean by that, is, expectations for this season should not be 10 wins and a conference championship.

I’m not a fan of reducing expectations due to disappointment the year prior. I said this under both Charlie Strong and Tom Herman, but it’s clear there are still numerous questions surrounding the program that were highlighted by the six-game losing streak last season.

Quarterback
    Steve Sarkisian was as proactive as he could possibly be in the transfer market and it paid off with a player who should have been at Texas the whole time in the ultra-talented Quinn Ewers.

Quinn is going to become a great quarterback, but as of now he’s more of a talented passer.

Offensive Line
    I view Kelvin Banks in a similar vein to Ewers. He’s good enough to be a good enough this season, though he’s still a freshman and will make mistakes. Cole Hutson is going to start at right guard and he should be solid this season. Others, like Cam Williams and DJ Campbell, will also play. Experience for this group will go a long way towards next spring and then into 2023 when they’ll look much different.

Defensive Coordinator
    There are indeed talent deficiencies on this side of the ball, but those can be somewhat mitigated with good schemes, development and teaching, and getting players in the right place. These are all things PK has built his reputation on. While there is some truth to this being very similar personnel to last year, that can be a bit misleading when trying to project whether or not the unit will improve.

[More at IT]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Absolute winner here^^^^^^^ ...and if anyone thinks this is THE year and not next....you may want to temper expectations l. I wish we could move this home game vs bama back 1 season, but hey...we are where we are and it's going to be a fun ride.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. RainH2burntO

Great to see us at the point where the guy getting all the hype and praise from practice is clawing his way into the two deep as real play begins as opposed to locked in as the starter to be relied upon to start the season.
    ..a sure sign of at least some progress

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You're right. I expect 13 wins and a natty.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Godz
    Great reminder.
    So You are saying relax and enjoy the progress we will see this year and not go craxy when we lose 2 games?
    I can't remember, what were our expectations at start of 04?:vy:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

That's exactly what I'm telling you and everyone to do.

Everyone, exept ME! It's natty or I'll have to change my very expensive yard sign.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. everette

everette 250+ Posts

It doesn't say which sport!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Has Texas going 4-8.

• poop poop x 2
  22. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Oh you'll get a natty. A natty light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So, 2 OOC wins + TT and KU.

Texas is better than last year and last season we were winning the games in the 3rd quarter at least. 6-6 is the floor in my opinion if our OL stinks.

24. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

For you dudes interested in data, PFF has a lot
    Dude,

We were ahead into the 4th versus OU, OSU and Bu.

The goal of this team should be Big 12 champions.

But I’m curious, next year is the year for doing what? Other than replacing Bijan and Roschon. Maybe Whittington. Oh and Ovie and Jamison.

It’s an interesting phenomenon of sports fans. They will analyze the hell out of their own team. I won’t even offer up them doing a sorry job of that. But then give a very low level of analysis of their opponents.

There is more data available than ever. Use some of it to support opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I'm leaving town today to have my annual buttoctomy.* Won't be able to connect with you guys until just before GAME DAY.

I want to thank all of you for participating in this thread. Really appreciate your invaluable contributions.

Hope you enjoy the last week of Fall Camp and that no other players get injured.

[​IMG]

buttoctomy (but•óck•toe•mee) a procedure usually performed by a wife in which she transports her husband to a fun destination in order to remove his cranium from his anus.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  26. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I’ve got the same procedure in a few months. A siege of biblical proportions finally wore me down and headed to Disney.

• Like Like x 1
  27. RainH2burntO

Now...we may disagree on this some.
    There is no way to tell...but from my perspective, I would predict a stronger overall team in '23 and this seems at least a reasonable analysis...and one shared by many.
    A more experienced oline, more experienced QB, remaining talent on defense and plenty left and incoming at RB and WR. Who knows? We may be ahead of schedule this year. But, I for one am in the camp of the schedule pointing to next.
    But I wouldn't mind being wrong at all..

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. RainH2burntO

Appreciate you very much, Godz...and thanks.
    Will look forward to your return.
    Have a good trip.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

In
    No

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

We will start/play 2/3 Fr. on the O-line so I don't see more experience there. And Quinn will be a (not sure how to categorize him) Red Shirt HS Sr. But I understand (& for the most part agree with) what you are saying. We WILL be more experienced in many ways AND we will have Sark's (& Coach K's) transition yr behind us. I see a 7-7 floor, 11-2 ceiling & 9-4 probable season. All that said, gimmie some more of that Kool Aid.

• Agree Agree x 1