Fall Camp

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Only if the 5 starters remain healthy, and Zackelford has had foot problems his whole career. TH has indicated there's a significant drop off after the top 6 guys. I'm certainly not counting on him redshirting.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Which could open up some wildcat or other trickeration

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It sure could. Also consider that J. Whitt primarily played QB in HS, and Herman likes his trick plays (wheels in head spinning round ...).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

With Card and Jackson coming in next year And Brown still recovering I wonder if this turns into a permanent move for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I think we all know a position change is a strong possibility for Roschon. Especially if Card is everything he's been hyped up to be. It got Heard and Childs should Starts on the field even if they didn't lite it up at WR. Personally though, I'd like to see Jackson at LB since we can't seem to recruit the position and I think he could be a Malik Jefferson type of LB.

6. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes,,, but please if the kickoff is in the end zone, let it go.....
    Seems 1/3 of the kickoffs , around the league, end up with some kind of holding or illegal block. First and ten, now on the 12.

The other third make it out to about the 18 yard line. The last third might make it to the 35

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. We've also had far too many fair catches of punts inside the 10 yard line ...

In a recent presser, Herman even mentioned something about his working on coaching the punt return men to plant their feet on the 10 yard line and to make good choices. (paraphrased)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Also, the reports on Thompson's long passing accuracy are very encouraging (caveat: if we can trust "practice reports")

• Like Like x 1
  9. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Probably because Eagles is still recovering from surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

BURT:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Why ? Why after three recruiting classes, including transfers and JUCO guys, does Herman still say the OL depth sucks ? He always says," after the first five / seven they need a lot of work or they have to grow up fast." We should have a solid 2 deep on the OL by now ( after three Springs ). What has happened to the beef we have recruited ?

• poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good lord, go unwad your panties.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

He has a high bar? I think so and that’s a good thing. It may well be that #7-9 in the depth chart could have started a couple of years ago but again, the bar — and the competition — is tougher now. I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Our depth chart on the oline was criminal when he took over. They have had to rebuild the oline one baby step at a time. We have a few guys that are good, but our best days are in the future. Looking at the freshmen and guys we have committed. Those are the guys that will carry this team into the future. Most of our most talented linemen are still really young and need to get stronger.

Give it time, our guys will grow, by the end of the year I think we will be about 8 or 9 deep. Looking at the young guys we have coming back, I expect to have a very very solid line. In about 3 years we will have a depth chart that is 12 deep with guys he trusts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Because if you arent always working toward getting better you're getting worse. Being complacent by saying we're solid two deep at o-line leads to laziness. No matter how good they are he should always be looking for where they need to improve. Just ask Mack.

TH may actually be pretty happy with where they are, but he'll never say it publically. He needs them fighting for their positions constantly.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Here's Roschon in the All-America Bowl (HS all stars). Roschon's film starts at about 1:00 (Gbenda's film is the first minute--he's pretty good too; quick and abnormally strong for his size). Roschon is very quick, cat-like quick, and has good field vision and cuts. Good in the open field. He can lower his head for the extra yards when he has to. I don't want to downplay his college level QB skills, but IMHO he's a multi-purpose athlete at this level, and some observers might say he has college RB written all over him.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Nice article profiling current #32, Malcolm Roach, and his extra motivation this year ...

Roach said he and defensive line coach Oscar Giles had a conversation after Benson’s death became public. “He said, ‘Wear that number with pride,’” Roach said. “And when I just sat back and looked, saw that I was wearing 32, I said I’ve got to represent this number right.”

Texas DE Malcolm Roach wants to elevate his play wearing Cedric Benson’s No. 32 | Hookem.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Gotta say that I’m excited to see Roschon Johnson in the backfield. From what I have seen he has a pretty special skill set.

“Necessity is the motherhood of invention.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Marcus Washington is in that film. Is he on campus? Is he a factor? He's not on the depth chart I saw.

21. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Washington wasn't an early enrolee was he? We are stacked at X and Z with talented receivers who have spent a lot of time on campus. Wr is one of those positions where experience counts for a lot .. Getting off the line, working open, building rapport with the quarterback..

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

FWK knows the direction where the wind is blowing. You have to look past the post to know this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteveInAustin

SteveInAustin 25+ Posts

Hudson Card didn't look that good in Lake Travis's stunning 35-14 opening game loss to Martin. 23 out of 46 for 245 yards with 2 TDs and 1 interception. Lake Travis was a heavy favorite, and got creamed.

• Hot Hot x 1
  25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I saw Washington got some snaps. Must have shown something in fall camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Herman said WR Josh Moore is suspended indefinitely.