Fall Camp

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Some visual observations of the big uglies:

Cosmi sure is not carrying much fat for a guy north of 300 lbs.

It’s hard to tell from the photos’ angles, but it appears that much of Coburn’s weight gain went into his leg muscles. That’s a good sign.

When the linemen gain as much weight as ours did this offseason, there’s always a concern they’re putting on a bunch of bad weight / belly fat. Not these two anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We have an interesting roster at WR with 3 seniors and no juniors. It's kind of hard to see everyone sticking. Here are our WRs by class (Epps was able to hang on to his RS)
    Seniors
    Burt(RS), Duvernay, Johnson
    Juniors
    none
    Sophomores
    Eagles, Moore, Pouncey(RS)
    Freshmen
    Epps(RS), Lewis, Smith, Washington, Woodward(RS)

Here is what the projected starters looked like until Aug practice began
    X CJ, then Epps then Washington (Pouncey listed here last year)
    Z Duvernay, then Eagles then Burt/Woodard/Lewis
    H Moore or Smith, then Jordan Pouncey

But now it looks like we are moving Duvernay to the slot, at least partially in an effort to get Eagles' speed on the field. It's possible this may not stick and is a motivation tool for Moore and Smith. And while I admit Ive never really considered Duv anything but a pure Z, you have to admit the idea of his speed and sure hands in the slot is intriguing.

Here is a quote from Herman about that move --
    “We hadn’t planned on that until these last few weeks. It wasn’t even on our radar, to be honest with you. Then we had some long personnel meetings, offensively. Devin’s had an unbelievable offseason and so has Brennan. We feel like (Moore and Smith) have to really prove that they deserve to be on the field for an extended period of time. Because if that’s the case and Brennan and Devin are playing the same position, then one of them is going to be standing on the sideline every other snap. Experimenting with it right now, but it was due to some recent personnel discussions and how good of summers both Brennan and Devin had.”

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 4
  4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Did we hire him as an analyst or is this just a one time thing?

5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

So how many passes were thrown behind the line of scrimmage?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, he could probably offer some tips on quick slants. Please keep him away from the OL.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Working on the horizontal passing game

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Or the 3rd and 25 half-back pass to the 4th string RB for 10 yards.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And who needs an actual running game when your short passing game functions as the running game...

:rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

So why not Eagles to the slot, he is basically a clone of LJH with better speed. Either way, I think our best 3 receivers are Eagles, Duv and CJ. All others need to fall in life after them. I'd probably throw in Epps as #4 on that list.

I already know how his analysis of our offense will read:

More short passes out on the flat.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not really as bad as it seems as going into 2020:
    3 Juniors; 5 Sophomores; and ever how many Freshmen that eventually sign-up.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Somewhere, Brett Robin is smiling at this comment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Seems like Devin was used effectively a few times on the wheel route when Charlie was here. Motioning him from the slot into the backfield for that would look nice imo.

• Like Like x 1
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Feel for that kid

• poop poop x 3
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Jake?

16. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Maybe this is like the episode of Seinfeld where George did the opposite of his instincts, with great success. Hopefully Herman has told his coaches to do the exact opposite of whatever Davis tells them.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

TFB said yesterday that Jake was moved up to second team reps at Slot :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  20. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dreamer. I saw every game Greg drew a salary for at Texas (notice I did not say "coached"), when did that play ever go for 10 yards? I think the average was 1.8 yards.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Josh Thompson

• Hot Hot x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

Please take that down while we still have kids that want to walk on

:hookem2:

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It seems like we're often looking for an incoming star skills player to be the 'savior'.* Jake Smith certainly fits the bill--he's the Gatorade player of the year--at all positions.+ I hope and think we'll get to see some prime time playmaking by Jake starting this year. The staff should look for ways to get the ball into his hands.

Still, our WR starters are very good, and we have a number of young very talented guys at WR who have been waiting in the wings (Eagles, Pouncey, Epps), some of whom may have been sidelined by injuries at points last year. Also track star Burt is on the depth charts, looking for his breakout year. What's in front of our budding young superstar is anything but chopped liver. Jake will have to earn his way into playing time just like everyone else. I'm betting on him to do so. Looks like he's already up to 2nd team.

*I think pretty much every fan base falls into this line of thinking from time-to-time.

+Before Jake, it was Bru in the 'savior' role...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Concentration + body control, at high speeds, while spinning in the air. Very impressive indeed!

It's where football meets professional-level Russian ballet. (Sounds kinda weird, but it's a fair comparison. Although Olga and Boris never had to fight to get off the line...)

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And before it was Bru, it was Jake

I think Herman has big plans for a speedy player in the slot. He leaned on it heavily for stretches at UH. And as great as LHH was for us, he did not scare anyone with his speed.

We dont know yet if the Duv move is permanent. I think they are just seeing what it looks like. But you can see the thought process - "Why dont we see how this works" But, in the end, maybe it's just aimed at motivating Moore/Smith? We will see.

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Jake's blazing speed and playmaking skills could give opposing DCs nightmares, no doubt. It's not just Jake's speed though. Burt is just as fast (probably even faster on the track). My point is that Jake has to earn playing time just like anyone else. I think he will, although the competition at WR is very, very good.

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Dear God please please let Kirk be ok and play this season!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some updates--

Kirk Johnson's left arm is in a sling -- sounds like a clavicle injury.

DeMarvion Overshown has a mid-foot sprain.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of Eagles