Fall Camp

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

My initials thoughts

1. What in the heck happened to D.Christmas. Last in depth chart as a senior.

2. We should have 9 returning starters on Defense in 2020

3. I bet T.Sweat moves up the depth chart

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Give D Christmas some props for grinding it out. Clearly the guy is never going to be a star, but he's going to get a college education and will have improved himself during his time on the 40. Is he Charlie's last legacy player?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I rmbr his high school film. I thought he had one of the quicker big man first steps of anyone :idk:

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TE Jared Wiley with a knee injury in today's scrimmage
    Does not sound like a bad one though. We will see

Herman said -- Shackelford, Ingram, and Sterns are “all on track."

Today's #1 CBs were Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce

Asked about 1st year early contributors, Herman mentioned Marcus Tillman, T’Vondre Sweat, Juwan Mitchell, Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington.

plus this

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Moore’s best play is to plead to a lesser charge, redshirt this year, and rejoin the team next spring.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I hope Chisholm does a good job when spelling for Graham. He’s been a trooper too with sporadic playing time.

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Regarding Moore. It's one thing to carry a gun, it's one thing to carry a loaded gun. But as someone who is very much pro guns why did he lock and load it? Was he going to a place where he felt his safety was in danger?

As long as the fire arm was not discharged I agree he need to do a plea bargin, get some gun training, maybe get his CC. It's a great training course because he will then be more atuned to the laws of CC. Mostly he needs to take a break from football and red shirt this year and be ready for next year.

Someone should teach him, don't go looking for trouble, and don't go to places where you might need a gun. Those two things have kept me from ever needing to load a live round in a weapon in a public place.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

I agree on the general consensus about Moore, but only if he manages to keep his nose squeaky clean for the next year. He could emerge a far more mature and wiser young man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Our punter is getting better! Our punter is getting better!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Re: Boyce. It often takes young CBs time and experience to develop. Thrusting them into fray as Freshmen can lead to disastrous results. But sometimes it must be done due to sorry recruiting or development and gaps in CB talent in the upperclassmen. Patience is required for their development, especially in the pass happy Big 12. Let’s be frank—Boyce played poorly last year. He was a Freshman.

I think he has the raw talent to develop into a star later in his career. Think Grady Cavness and Willie Mack Garza—often burned early on, then developing into stars as Juniors and Seniors. Hopefully Boyce is on that path. If he’s worked his way into the starting lineup, that’s obviously a very good sign of his ongoing development. I’m rooting for him, but he had a long way to go based on last year’s play. Patience is required.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

“To say Texas is back is an understatement.” The Undertaker :clap:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Wasn't the aggys bragging that they had former stars at their events like Emmit Smith.

When a famous parent goes with his kid on a recruiting visit, that's really not him stopping by to support the team, that is him supporting his kid.

However when the Undertaker is at practice, that is just badass!!!!

We need to have an all wrestling event with Rick Flair, Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Mark Henry. That would be some fun stuff right there.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That would be awesome.

Of course, our very own Steve ‘Bam Bam’ McMichael was also a pro wrestler, as well as an NFL Star and Longhorn legend.

15. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Wait until the season starts.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

NR, I'm usually with you on your takes, but it would take a massive implosion by Sam before anybody started calling for the #2 guy to replace him.

Now, that doesn't mean the #2 guy should never see the field. I mean, when we're up by 30+ points on a bunch of scrubs like LSU, sure, get the guy his needed experience.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, some of my comments were tongue in cheek.
    But- actually that’s exactly what I was thinking...UT’s up by 30 against LT, Casey comes in against a tired and now unmotivated D, rips a few long runs a few perfect passes.
    UT looses to LSU .... and here we go.
    (I actually don’t expect UT to be up by 30 nor do I expect UT to drop one to LSU at home this year)

18. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I do not expect us to be up on LATech anywhere close to 30 pts.
    ...Hope I'm wrong.
    I was thinking back the other day of the days when we use to roll weaker OOC opponents 70-13, 56-10, 52-7 during some of Mack's prime years...and hear debates on running up scores vs gaining ranking weight.
    Ah...the good ol days....

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  19. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes. I liked seeing walk ons get playing time. Mack used to clear the benches and some games I think almost everyone on the roster played st least one play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

D.Christmas seemed to be a great young man, but you have to be a little junkyard dog MEAN to be a great DL, and I think he is just not that kind of kid... I would have moved him to OL if he has the mental make up of an OL. Look at Leonard Davis, and Dominic Bustamonte for examples !!! Converted DL to OL and were beasts for us...

21. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Herman needs to get Thompson playing time vs LTech. You don't want him taking his very first snaps against LSU ( unless its late 4th qtr and we are up 17+ ). Practice snaps are not in front of 100,000+ !!!!

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I’d like to have a few blowout games to get the backup QBs some live game reps. Herman’s teams have generally played to the level of the competition = few if any blowouts. Mack would blowout weak competition but keep the starting QB in the whole game save perhaps the very last series. :confused2:

Like some of the others who have expressed an opinion on the topic, I doubt La Tech will be an easy pushover. I hope I’m wrong and Thompson is in the whole 4th Q. We also have a bad tendency to start slowly... In the Rice game, I’m hoping Thompson plays most of the second half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Put in Murdock!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Between now and the end of the season, Sam is going to miss one or more games and we will have to rely on Thompson to win that those games for us

It is virtually a guarantee this is going to happen. The last time a Texas QB didn't miss time with an injury was Vince Young in 2005.

Get him reps now or pay the price in the future.

• Agree Agree x 7
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Another explanation for Christmas bringing up the rear on the depth chart at NT is not that Christmas is a below average talent, but that Coburn and Ojomo are that good. I’m confident that’s the case with Coburn. Coburn has apparently worked on his conditioning, increased his already good strength, kept his weight under control, and is emerging into the standout BAMF at NT that we expected him to become.

26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Just from a psychology standpoint it seems like it is also good for QB #2’s morale to get him as much game time as possible. Let him know he is trusted to lead the team and keep his confidence up. But I’m not a coach.

• Agree Agree x 8
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

D I mean I agree with you that the back up needs to play as early as possible
    Not that I agree you are not a coach.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. RainH2burntO

I think you'd make a great coach, Dion

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. RainH2burntO

You know, Mack was a big proponent of running up the score. Not unwise based on the ranking methods used at the time.
    At times it seemed like there was alot of scoreboard watching between top teams. Beating an average team 56-3 vs 31-10 could be the difference between you and the next "guy".

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. NOLATiger80

NOLATiger80 25+ Posts

I dont know the context of the situation regarding your WR but if you’re carrying a handgun then you should have a round in the chamber. That’s the point of carrying it in the first place. You never know the situation you’re going to be put in and sometimes you don’t have the time to rack a round in the chamber. Most handguns have safeties to help prevent inadvertent firing and even for those that don’t, as long as you have them in a proper holster you shouldn’t need to worry about discharging the weapon unless you’re trying to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1