Faux Relatives - 'Aunt' So and So, etc

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Apostle7550, Feb 5, 2008.

1. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

It's also common in the Philippines.

2. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

Real common in Hawaii, especially on the feminine side. Every older lady I met there was called "Auntie" something.

I actually met someone for the first time who told me to call her "Auntie Jo."

3. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

Now that I think about it, it was also common on Guam. I think every woman was each other's auntie

4. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Common in the Chinese culture. We even have diff words for ones older and younger than your parents.

5. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

While growing up, my mom's best friend was as close as any of my real aunts - to this day, she is still Aunt Janice - and, no she isn't an old maid. She has kids of her own, and a real nephew and a niece. So it isn't a surrogate thing going on.

6. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Uncle Jesse is really my uncle.

7. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I'm virtually always introduced to my friends little kids as Uncle Napoleon... well obviously NOT "Napoleon", but you get what I'm saying.

I'm usually "Tio [Nappy]" to my actual niece, because hopefully I will always speak Spanish to her so that she grows up fluent between her nanny/helper lady, classes, and my Argentina castellano.

As for my friends introducing me as "Uncle...", I try to always slap the kid around a little bit, so they know what it used to be like to grow up with an alcoholic uncle.

[​IMG]

8. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

I have a friend that has his daughter call me Uncle Dogbert and I'm fine with that. However, he also refers to me as Uncle Dogbert to his cat and that pisses it off no end. Now the cat can't stand me and he only ignored me before. I think it hates the idea of being related to a canine, if only figuratively.

9. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

10. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

sounds like someone is jealous that they are not uncle apostle

11. Bluff Horn

Bluff Horn 250+ Posts

My Uncle Paulie and Uncle ***** are swell guys