Favorite cut of steak?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by SA_Town_Horn, Jan 26, 2007.

1. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

I made some tongiht, and it got me thinking.....what's everyone else's favorite?

T-Bone?
    Ribeye?
    Sirloin?
    FIlet?
    Strip?

I'll take the T-Bone, medium rare....

2. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

if its south american meat with yellow fat, I'll take a ribye. American, Filet.

3. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I'll either take a ribeye or a porterhouse. The porterhouse is the next cut up from the T-bone so it has a larger tenderloin portion. That way, I get my filet and New York strip at one sitting. [​IMG]

All you need it Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and a super hot mesquite fire.

4. hrhorn

hrhorn 25+ Posts

To me ribeye is king, filet would be my next choice. I had an uncle that was a butcher for many years (when I was a kid)and I remember getting tired of eating steak as frequently as we did. Wish I had that problem now. [​IMG]

5. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

T-Bone, then Ribeye.

Medium, por favor.

Now I'm hungry!

6. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

Picanha.

7. HornsHornsHorns

HornsHornsHorns 500+ Posts

How anyone can put any cut over a filet is beyond me. NY strip is also very very good.

8. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Make mine a well-marbled ribeye.

Medium rare.

[​IMG]

9. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"How anyone can put any cut over a filet is beyond me "

Because they are lean and relatively flavorless; that is why they are always wrapped in bacon or covered with a cream sauce.

My vote is for a ribeye.

10. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

picanha and it isn't even close, or tri tip for you rookies.

if a typical american cut, I like ribeyes.

11. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Not a filet man at all -- no flavor (disclaimer -- that's for American beef. Argentine lomo has plenty of flavor).

For an American steak, I go with a ribeye for maximum flavor (marbling is the key) and tenderness.

For a leaner cut, with enough fat to give it the right flavor and tenderness, I go with a strip.

When we would go to Laz Nazarenas, a steakhouse in Argentina that was right around the corner from my folks' place, we'd order their specialty, which is essentially a nealry 2 kilo (3-4 lb) porterhouse. We'd order two of them. We'd trim the filet portion off for the 2 ladies, and the 2 guys would eat the strip portion (well, we'd eat as much as we could).

The steaks were cooked over a wood fire. I would then pour a small pile of fine sea salt on my plate. I'd dip a corner of each bite into the salt right before it went in my mouth. It was the pinnacle of beef-eating.

12. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

ribeye medium rare

13. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

T-Bone, with ribeye a close second.
    medium rare.

14. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

bone-in ribeye

15. capitan

capitan 25+ Posts

16. pescado_rojo

pescado_rojo 25+ Posts

1. Ribeye
    2. T-bone

17. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Ribeye, please.

18. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

The more done you like your meat, the more you should like tenderloin filets.

I like mine medium-rare, so give me a well-marbled ribeye, please. Yum.

19. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

big *** bone in ribeye

20. TimHorn

TimHorn 25+ Posts

ribeye, I buy it in cryovack vacuum bag and leave it in the fridge for 2 weeks to continue the wet aging (tip I got from a USDA meat grader) wash and trim if necessary, cut the steaks and cooked rare

21. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

NY Strip, medium-rare. Butter, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper to season it.

22. SuperHero

SuperHero 500+ Posts

Haven't had steak in a while, but for a strip steak, consider rubbing a bit of worchestershire sauce, yellow mustard, course ground pepper and kosher salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes and grill to medium rare.

*DROOOOOOOOOL*

23. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I'll second the bone in ribeye.

Hard to beat.

24. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Porterhouse.

You ******** are making me hungry.

25. WaywardHorn

WaywardHorn 100+ Posts

26. 96 Buff

96 Buff 100+ Posts

I like the cut that's on sale. Given a choice, though, I prefer ribeyes.

27. Olhorn

Olhorn 100+ Posts

Ribeye here.

28. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

29. CHIEFLAZYBOY

CHIEFLAZYBOY 100+ Posts

Whoever said a filet is only for people that like their steak overcooked, doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. I'll take a filet rare/medium rare over anything, next is a bone-in ribeye.

At one time, I ate steak 5 nights a week for about 3 years.

Chief

P.S. For you Picanha guys, you can buy a whole sirloin (uncut), it will weigh about 5-7 lbs. and cut the cap off (that is Picanha). This will leave you with a center cut sirloin to throw on the smoker, which is pretty damn good as well.

30. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

Ribeye (bone in or no bone), then Filet.

Filets are great, but you need to add fat for flavor. My butcher wraps the tenderloin "roast" in beef fat, twines it up, then cuts it into filets. It is damn good because of the extra fat.