Favorite cut of steak?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by SA_Town_Horn, Jan 26, 2007.

1. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

It's got to be a bone-in ribeye, about 1 1/4" thick, medium rare. Aside from sushi, it's my favorite meal.

2. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

3. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

The problem I have with Porterhouses is that I like the tenderloin cooked different than I like the other side. I like my tenderloin pan-seared. Not that the Porterhouse isn't a great cut of meat and very tasty, I just would rather have just about any other cut because of that issue. I enjoy a bone-in ribeye, 1-1/4" thick, char grilled, medium rare, burnt fat, kosher salt, pepper, and butter. Some grilled butter-and-garlic salt asparagus on the side and I am set. I like sliced yellow or white onions with my steak, too.

4. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

ribeye. Also, its big brother, the prime rib, though that's not exactly "steak"

5. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Guess it's all personal preference as there are reasons why some people prefer cheap wine over more expensive wines too, but anyone who prefers anything other than the filet mignon is getting an inferior piece of meat.

6. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Inferior how, exactly? The tenderloin just doesn't have the same flavor as a ribeye. Are you seriously claiming that prime rib is "inferior"?

7. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

There is not a more expensive and higher quality piece of beef than filet mignon. I've cooked in restaurants. Anyone at any Prime steak house will tell you that their filet is their highest quality piece of meat.

That, however, doesn't mean that someone's personal taste doesn't prefer something else. That's fine. But there is no question that the filet is the highest quality cut within a cow or, I assume, any other animal (yes, I'll take my venison backstrap over anything too).

I know there are better references, but this from Wikipedia.

"The filet is considered to be the most tender cut of beef, and one of the most expensive. Despite its hefty pricing, filet mignon is ordered by many at restaurants the world over. The average cow provides no more than 4-6 pounds of filet per animal. Because the muscle is non-weight bearing, it receives very little exercise, which makes it tender."

Filet Mignon

Let me add - Prime Rib, in my experience, is a ribeye 'roast' for lack of a better term, that is seasoned, slow cooked and served with au jus and a horseradish sauce. Excellent meal.

8. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

Ribeye, but I've eaten a whole lotta Filet Mignon in my life. It's depends on my craving.

It's all a matter of taste (and texture), so I've never really understood the snobby-ness surrounding a steak cooked Medium or more. It seems that attitude peaked in the 80's at steakhouses and they are more than willing to prepare and serve you a steak the way you order it these days (although you still see that warning on the menu or from the server "we're not responsible for....." if you order it cooked past medium.) I prefer mine with little to no pink.

Now using a steak sauce is just pure blasphemy.

9. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Speaking of picanha, you guys are making me crave Fogo de Chao:
    [​IMG]

10. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

ribeye
    picanha
    filet
    porterhouse
    sirloin/london broil/flank for old times sake..

11. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

badexcuse, I don't know why you can't wrap your head around the concept that some folks -- "experts" even -- prefer ribeye over tenderloin, regardless of what restaurants consider their "top" cut. If dollars per once is your criteria, then I suppose you win, but a tenderloin is only that expensive because there is so little of it on the animal. And, restaurants probably make maximum margin on a filet, too, which is all they really care about.
    The vast majority of steak lovers will prefer tenderloin or
    ribeye to all the other cuts. It's a tradeoff between tenderness and flavor. Read the thread -- it's evident in even this small sampling.

12. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

13. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

I totally understand that many prefer Ribeye or another cut. Like my wine analogy, I often prefer the taste of a less expensive/lower quality wine than a more expensive/higher quality. It's all personal preference.

14. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i have never had picanha, but the best steak i have ever eaten was at a churrasco restaurant in houston after the rice game this year.

is churrasco the argentinian version of brazilian picanha, or are they two different things (cooked differently maybe)? one of my friends i was with at the churrasco place speaks spanish and he tried to get the cooks to explain it to him and it sounded to him (subject to interpretation issues) like its a part of the tenderloin that gets butterflied and grilled? any insight?

does anyone know where i can get either in a restaurant in austin, or at a butcher or meat market to try myself at home?

15. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

16. BIGsteve041

BIGsteve041 25+ Posts

badexcuse nailed it about filets. As a former server at a 4* steakhouse the filet was unbelievable. Personally I like the Strip because the fat gives it a good amount of flavor but I cant stand chewing on any fat. Thats why I, personally, dont like the Ribeye. That said if you go to a nice steakhouse that serves top quality beef the Ribeyes should all be nicely marbled. And as was mentioned earlier top it with a little butter, kosier salt, and ground pepper and you are in heaven. Medium Rare to Medium please.

17. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

Filet
    Close second: NY Strip

18. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

ribeye, medium rare

19. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

guys, look:

if someone says "I really enjoy skirt steak" or "my favorite cut is ground beef", you can assume that they are crazy or like really cheap food. But the flavor of ribeye and fillet are completely different to the point that I almost view them as completely different types of meals, if that makes any sense. Grain fed beef or organic beef or the hormone beef so much affect the flavor of the fat that your opinion can be colored by what you've eaten. For example, a grain fed ribeye with white fat will taste completely different than a grass fed one with yellow fat.

quit insulting the ribeye people.

20. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

21. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

Depends. For just a normal steak dinner, ribeyes salted, garlic powdered (just a light dusting) and peppered, slapped on a hot grill. Turn once. A little bloody liquid shows, it is medium rare and ready to eat.

For a more formal dinner, filets wrapped in thin-sliced bacon and toothpicked. Cook exactly the same way, garlic powder and all. Then serve with scratch Bearnaise and some 2" chunked roasted taters (buttered and salted). Maybe a creamed spinach and Caesar salad.

Part of the slight edge, but not all, I give to ribeyes over T-bones is that they have no bones to puncture trash bags on river trips.

22. Guy Mann-Dude

Guy Mann-Dude < 25 Posts

IMO arguing about filet or ribeye is like arguing about real vs fake boobs. Correctly executed I'm damn happy to get either one. [​IMG]

23. dfw75201

dfw75201 250+ Posts

If I'm cooking on a grill: ribeye

If I'm cooking indoors for a group: whole tenderloin, covered in butter ang baked at high temp until med. rare.

If I'm at a good steakhouse: filet, medium rare. Damn.

If I'm at a not so good steakhouse: T-Bone.

24. 3_yard-out

3_yard-out 100+ Posts

I actually prefer strip most of the time, just because I eat steak so much but still try and watch what I eat to a certain extent. I agree with Crayon in different steaks being almost different kinds of meals. Ribeyes have the best flavor and I will get those quite a bit when I want to get nice and dirty, but day in day out, I don't like cutting around all the excess fat... or eating it. Also, agree with Crayon that filets are like a whole different meal.

25. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Ribeye is my first preference. I really like flat iron / top blade if I'm looking for something less expensive.

26. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

Count me in the club with a well-marbled ribeye cooked medium rare.

27. horninSA

horninSA 25+ Posts

Nobody seems to like sirloin. I don't blame them. I've often found them to be tough, and ribeyes are much better.

28. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn't ever select a sirloin over a ribeye or filet as a steak, but I like sirloin's flavor. Cooked in the right way, it can be great. I like sirloin over other cuts in chili, for instance.

29. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me the difference between a New York Strip and a Kansas City Strip? I've always wondered that...

30. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts