Favorite cut of steak?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by SA_Town_Horn, Jan 26, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

Ribeye, medium for me.

2. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

In response to the KC Strip vs. NY Strip question:In reply to:

3. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

My impression was that KC Strip = Bone-in NY

For general grilling, I prefer the Strip. Ribeye's have too much fat for my taste, but are damn tasty every once in a while.

4. CumberlandBlues

CumberlandBlues 25+ Posts

Ribeye over extremely hot fire cooked rare. Any longer and you are killing the flavor of the meat in my humble opinion.

5. crayman

crayman < 25 Posts

NY Strip all the way.For some reason it seems to trap the juices better than the ribeye.

6. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

7. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i had the double cut filet at the new mortons in downtown houston last night

black and blue, rare. au poivre. it was fantastic.

and it better have been for $45

8. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Damn you ribeye guys. Went to Outback (sure, not a great place, but for $18 steak/salad/tater I expect something good) and got the Ribeye. I left more on my plate than I ate. Do y'all actually eat the fat?
    I enjoy going to Ruth Chris, III Forks, Del Frisco's or some other prime steakhouse, ordering a filet and clearing my plate.
    I'm ashamed of you ribeye fans. You've never had a good $35 10 oz filet at a prime steakhouse.

9. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

I love the fat, both the little "eye" in the ribeye and in the bacon wrapped around the filet. I also like the fat in the Bearnaise, and in the egg yolk in the Caesar salad. The butter and sour cream on the potato I usually skip, but not because I do not like it. The fat around the outer edge of a T-bone is also good, but not as good as the "eye." The secret thing is--it tastes good.

I have had lots of $35 filets at choice steakhouses, including Gene and Georgetti's in Chicago, the original Smith and Wollensky and Peter Luger in NY. I still like the ribeye just as much, and pick one or the other just based on what I want at a given time. If I could only have one type for the rest of my life--it would be the ribeye.

10. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Ribeye, med rare, any flavoring, pretty much. Parents use some Asian spices.

I agree with the filet not having alot of flavor.

Prime rib can be great, but, it doesn't have the sharp flavor a steak would have.

Haven't had enough Tbone, noone ever sells it.

What is Picana?

11. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

12. Guy Mann-Dude

Guy Mann-Dude < 25 Posts

I have doubts that the "ribeye" at Outhouse Steakhouse is really a ribeye. Seems to have a lot of sirloin characteristics. Just my experience.

13. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

When I was a kid, my dad would grill a whole tenderloin over super hot coals with nothing but salt, pepper and lots of melted butter as a baste. Damn, that was good.