Favorite pizza?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Big Lebowski, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski < 25 Posts

Back in the late 70's early 80's there was a pizza place on Lavaca (Austin) that was called Mama's pizza. They had the best damn pizza. I remember they used to have a deal where if you could eat their Mama's size pizza by your self it was free.

Pantera's (I think they closed shop in the late 80's) was another good pizza joint in the Austin area. What's your favorite.

2. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

Conan's on the Drag. Is it even still there?

3. longhornjoe

longhornjoe 25+ Posts

Roppolo's on 6th.

I think Mama's is actually a chain. They had one in Lewisville a few years back and they had the same deal with the free pizza. And yes, it was great pizza.

What's the name of the place on 29th and Guadalupe next to Rudy's BBQ. I can't remember right now. Damn good pizza.

4. HoustonHorn93

HoustonHorn93 250+ Posts

longhornjoe -- i remember the place your talking about. Went there a few times and really didn't care for it. Not that it was that good but is Gumby's still around?

5. Chris Applewhite

Chris Applewhite 25+ Posts

austin pizza

6. UTxOrange

UTxOrange 100+ Posts

aw dude, i like gumby's.

7. LHOR

LHOR First Time Poster

gumby's is still around and as far as i know they are the cheapest and best pizza in town. as far as conan's i think the only one left is on 29th and guadalupe.

but as far as this thread is concerned.....gumby's is the best for the price in town.

8. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski < 25 Posts

Saccones up in North Austin and Leander is pretty damn good too. New Jersey style pizza. Got to have them add the minced garlic.

9. KaspaUT

KaspaUT 25+ Posts

Every single time i've eaten Gumby's, i've thrown up.

The best pizza, bar-none, is Star Pizza, in houston, off of shepard and 59. Totally kicks ***.

In Austin, Conan's is comparable - they moved, but i think just further down the drag.

10. Turn the page, Fred

Turn the page, Fred < 25 Posts

I remember getting Conan's Savage on wheat pretty often.

What was the name of that pizza place on the upper part of the Drag near Antone's that served rectangular (instead of round) pizzas? I recall being there one time really wasted, but digging the 'za. It certainly sated my munchies, if you know what I mean.

11. The Three I's

The Three I's 25+ Posts

Isn't Conan's on the Drag now a Kerbey Lane?

12. Hoover

Hoover 25+ Posts

Slices on 6th at 2:14 am. THE best.

13. bikerack

bikerack < 25 Posts

Star Pizza is good but they just got written up by the health dept for bad meat (heh)

I'll be avoiding them for a while...

14. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

You may mean Milto's (next to Ruby's). Conan's still has their location on 29th near the bong place. Mangia is pretty good. I've been wanting to try Saccone's

15. Arnold Ziffel

Arnold Ziffel < 25 Posts

Double Dave's pepperoni rolls. About nine of them on buffet night. Also, Mr. Gatti's (MLK) buffet kicked ***.

16. Arnold Ziffel

Arnold Ziffel < 25 Posts

Double Dave's pepperoni rolls. About nine of them on buffet night. Also, Mr. Gatti's (MLK) buffet kicked ***. Pizza's like sex - it's all about quantity, not quality. Also, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

17. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Although it wasn't the bomb, we used to always get $5 extra large pizzas from Pizza Classics on 29th.

Star is overrated.

18. Rap_Nasty

Rap_Nasty First Time Poster

Screw the health violation, Star Pizza is worth the risk of food poisoning. Easily the best I've ever had.

Of course, Roppolo's is tough to beat at 2:30 a.m., even with the long lines.

19. sasquatch

sasquatch < 25 Posts

Milto's is damn good. I always thought Mangia kinda sucked.

For cheap pizza, nothing better than Pizza Classics. That stuff is pretty good.

Anyone ever been to Giordano's in Chicago? I know it's a chain, but damn that **** is good.

20. KaspaUT

KaspaUT 25+ Posts

yes - the old conan's is now kerbey lane.

21. Vic

Vic 25+ Posts

campizi's in dallas

22. sasquatch

sasquatch < 25 Posts

Forgot about Louie's in Dallas. Better than Campisi's, and they have beer in a can.

23. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

Conan's is still around -- a few locations round town. Good ****.

Milto's is great -- I always forget about it, though.

Mangia -- I like it the spinach and mushroom stuffed, so sue me.

Saccones -- damn fine stuff.

Roppolo's -- used to be one at Mesa and Spicewood -- was up there with Saccones.

Pizza Nizza went downhill when they changed their service style.

My current favorite in Austin, if I'm going out for good ol' pizza?

Frank & Angie's. Good big thin crust, not too pricey, casual atmosphere, also have great pasta dishes for the non-pizza members of your group. We have dinner there with friends often (hell, we had my wife's recent b-day dinner with 20 people there -- wanted to keep it casual, cheap, and fun).

Still, we are missing a true Chicago style deep dish experience here. (As an aside, I had a kick-*** chicago style in Washington 15 years ago. My dad and I walked around looking for a place to eat -- it was cold as hell, and each of us just had a sportcoat (I had gone to visit Georgetown to check it out). We saw a warm and inviting pizza place on M street, I think. Gepetto's? Anyway, it was warm and cozy inside, big hot pizza, and a beer (I was 16, so it was even better). Man, that was good ****).

24. TTUEX

TTUEX 25+ Posts

I have to agreee with VIc, had a campizzi pie new years weekend.. after an afternoon at the fare.

25. ths71

ths71 100+ Posts

Campisi's seemed to have slipped a bit last time I was there. Maybe just a bad day.
    Pastazios at the Addison Circle is great. True N.Y. style. If you like DD's Pepperoni rolls you'll be in heaven here. They are made to order and HUGE. Freshly made Calzone and Stromboli too. Four stars from the DMN.

26. whoat22

whoat22 < 25 Posts

Pizza Nizza is damn good IMO. I may be addicted to it, actually. I don't know what they used to be like, as I just moved out here in August. Their pizza by the slice is arguably my favorite of "all-time".

27. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Milto's was the bomb...eat pizza, consume many pitchers of beer, then stagger over to Antone's to catch Clifton Chenier....oh yes.

28. MrPhlegm

MrPhlegm 250+ Posts

Conans, The Savage with jalapenos.

Giordanos Pizza - Chicago Pizza, they have a location about 8 miles from my home in Orlando on Apopka Vineland near Hotel Blvd just outside Walt Disney World.

A large weighs about 15Lb.
    The Link

29. scally

scally 100+ Posts

HELLO! Nikki's Pizza at dobie. the best in the city.

30. hornFANtastic

hornFANtastic 100+ Posts

gotta go with the crowd that favors Star Pizza. Amazing.