Favorite pizza?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Big Lebowski, Jan 9, 2002.

1. LocoGringos

LocoGringos 250+ Posts

If it was down on East Riverside, somebody probably stole it.

2. Jester M409

Jester M409 25+ Posts

I saw a commercial on TV last night for Totino's Pizza Rolls. I gotta admit, they looked pretty good.

I don't know how they did it, but in the TV ad they had, like, six slices of delicious looking pizza sitting on a plate and then, without anyone touching them, they curled up and rolled up into these little pizza rolls all by themselves. It was almost like, the pizza slices willed themselves to be pizza rolls.

It was awesome!

I thought I might try some of them Totino's Pizza Rolls, you know, pick some up in my grocer's freezer, even though Jeno and Totino are sworn enemies, but maybe it's OK because Jeno's doesn't make pizza rolls anyway, so it's not like I'm being disloyal or anything. And then I remembered something...

You know those milk mustaches those celebrities wear in those "got milk?" commercials? They're FAKE! I found it out at a soccer tournament sponsored by the "got milk?" people. They took pictures of all the teams with milk mustaches, but they made milkshakes and had the kids take a sip. Then they snapped the photo. They told me it's the same way they do the celebreties. Those lyin' ********!

They also told me they put glue in the milk so it pours better and looks creamier on the TV ads in slow motion. ******** again!

And you know how a Big Mac looks so good on TV, everything's in place, everythings centered and it looks so tall and fluffy and delicious? But everytime you buy one, you open it up and the cheese is half off, the patty's 1/3 off the other side, the "special sauce" (who knows what they hell they put in that) is following the cheese out the back door and it appears as though some fat teenage nose-picker sat on it after he wrapped it?

I think Totino's just might be trying to pull a fast one of their own with this pizza to pizza rolls thing. I mean, I know Jesus turned the water to wine at a wedding, but pizza slices turning themselves into pizza rolls for a commercial...c'mon.

You know, come to think of it, the pizza slices, the ones that turned into pizza rolls in the commercial, the one I saw on TV, those pizza slices looked so delicious...and verrrrrry much like slices of...JENO'S PIZZA!!!

Those lyin' ********!!!

3. Apostle7550

Apostle7550 100+ Posts

There used to be a little place on 2222 near 620 called Nick's Pizza. Far and away the best I've had.

4. texasboy34

texasboy34 25+ Posts

Best Pizza I ever had was in the Chicago O'hare Airport...Some dude with a pizza stand in the food court sold me a slice (quarter of a pizza) and it was absolutely the best I have ever had. Best pizza in ATX is Hoeks (satans) on 6th...especially after hitting up some bars.

5. saltyhorn

saltyhorn < 25 Posts

Pizza Bob's in Estes Park.

6. saltyhorn

saltyhorn < 25 Posts

or Blondie's in the SF Bay Area

7. anacardo

anacardo < 25 Posts

Mama's Pizza is the best damn pizza in the history of this or any other universe. I grew up in Arlington; we couldn't afford to eat out, but we still went to Mama's every two weeks or so despite the fact that it's pretty expensive. The sauce, the crust, ohhh, man. I'm pretty sure the chain's dying, though; they may not exist out of Fort Worth or Plano anymore. The one on Cooper where I spent the late 80s playing Double Dragon is long gone. I moved a friend out of an apartment near UTA campus a few weeks ago, and I drove him all the way out to Camp Bowie in Fort Worth just to introduce him to the magic; he was mighty pissed until he had a slice in one hand and a pint in the other, and he'll never regret it for the rest of his life. If all else fails, I might see about opening a franchise. You seriously can't have any idea how good this **** is until you've tried it.

8. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

California Pizza Kitchen[​IMG]

9. Yock513

Yock513 25+ Posts

Has anyone tried the new Flying Tomato on 38th? The mushroom specialty pizza was awesome.

10. Murfdogg21

Murfdogg21 25+ Posts

Mazzio's. It is the best. The father of Zio's.

11. 111

111 100+ Posts

[​IMG]I hate Mazzios[​IMG] Maybe cause the only time I ate there was late nights in Palestine Texas.

My friends love it though, so I guess I'm alone on this one.

12. horninSA

horninSA 25+ Posts

Mazzio's is definitely not the best pizza there is. But for the money, the buffet is not bad. It's 10 times better than Pizza Hut's ****** buffet. I don't know if they are all like that, but I've eaten the buffet at several Pizza Huts, and it's the same **** every time. A few pizzas sitting there and they never bring any new ones. There's nothing worse than room temperature pizza that's been sitting under a heat lamp. [​IMG]

13. horninSA

horninSA 25+ Posts

I heard some mention Mama's pizza in the DFW area. I looked it up on Switchboard and found these. Which ones are part of the chain (you will have to scroll down some)? I'd really like to try it.

14. horninSA

horninSA 25+ Posts

I don't know how people can talk about that frozen crap here. Most of those suck. I hate frozen pizza.

15. horninSA

horninSA 25+ Posts

16. blacklab

blacklab 250+ Posts

anacardo i agree with you 100%. I grew up in arlington as well and went to the mama's on green oaks by martin for a majority of my high school days. My dad still lives in there and I often drive over to the camp bowie one.

I know the camp bowie one is a real one, I'm not sure about the others.

17. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

The Parlor on North Loop. Easy going older punks. Cheap beer, good pizza. Monday nights with Scottie Biram playing blues is the best way to kick off the week. Just dress down, don't worry if you don't have tatoos or a ratty bad brains shirt. Pool table, too.

18. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

O.K.--

I give up. I read about 100+ posts before I said this, but eventually gave up.

WHY THE f**k DO I NOT SEE FRANK AND ANGIE'S.

I get that someone may not have it at the top of their all-time list (hard to get though), but how is no one even TALKING about it.

Oh, and whoever said Saccones was on to something.

Oh, and someone mentioned Rockyano's in Dalls. I'm guessing they're all closed now, right? We had one in Plano when i was around8 yrs old.

p.s.--I had to move to Temple recently, and was shocked to see a freaking Mazzio's Pizza here. It's not that great, but it is a blast from the past.

19. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

WOW, did you seriously dredge up a thread that was almost two years old? Impressive.

Saccones is our current favorite. Sometimes we'll get Reale's but they can be a little greasy. Also, I like Brick Ovens margharita pizza (w/ pepperoni).

Again, congrats on bringing up a thread that was two years old. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

20. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Rocco's (next to Katz's) has a great pizza margherita. Cracker thin crust, fresh basil & tomato. The cheese is a little powerful, but it's certainly fresh, too.

For those tempted by the pizza description on Vespaio's menu, run away. Their pizzas suck and they cost and arm and a leg to boot.

While I'm at it, I give the nod to Saccone's & Reale's, too. I like Saccone's crust and Reale's sauce. If they could team up, they'd actually have a pizza that could compete in NYC. As it is, they're merely good, but better than anything else in town.

21. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

22. TR_Horn

TR_Horn 25+ Posts

IMO - the best I have had in Austin, in order:

1. Brick Oven (on 35th)
    2. Rounders
    3. Saccone's

Decent pies also made by Frank and Angie's and Miltho's.

23. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

I had far fewer posts when I said The Parlor rules all... and it still does.

24. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Avoid Rocco's at all costs.

25. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

The brick oven pizza at the new Whole Foods is great--nice thin crust; crisp, but still a little chewy. Only $12.99 for a 16" pie up to 3 ingredients. Highly recommended.

26. Seen the sign in front of Rounders. Based on suggestion above, they will get a try. What about the place on 281/2, ot Brick Oven, but the Flyting Tomato?

27. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

I ate at Beau Joe's pizza 3 weeks ago in Colorado and it is freaking AWESOME!

In Houston Candelari's on Belaire is great,a dn probably my favorit. I also like Romano's on West Gray. Star is okay, but I think it is a shade over rated.

I have eaten pizza classsics, and gumby's so many times. They both suck, but damn they can soak up the alcohol.

I love Campisis in Dallas.

28. twid

twid 25+ Posts

i finally tried saccone's today, and i was not impressed. for new york style pizza, i'd take niki's in dobie mall over saccone's any day/

29. burdine88

burdine88 25+ Posts

Back in the mid-80s I was a pizza guy, first for The Incredibly Flying Pizza Society (where the Birkenstock store is on Guadalupe) and then for Conan's on 29th.

At IFPS, we used to wear these flight suits (the whole flying theme) and cut the pizza on your doorstep. Used to take orders til 3am and then go get breakfast at Kerbey Lane.

My guess is that the bank I work at now has no idea I worked at a place called the Incredible Flying Pizza Society.

30. crl826

crl826 < 25 Posts

Best Frozen Pizza: Totino's (not really the best, but for a $1 it can't be beat)
    Best Pan Crust: Mellow Mushroom
    Best NY Style: Home Slice
    Best Chicago Style: BJ's (especially the Buffalo Chicken Pizza)
    Best Late Night: Roppollo's or Onion (assuming you are downtown...otherwise, back to Totino's)

Pizza in Austin