Favorite Texas-ou moment

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by BHud, Oct 10, 2012.

1. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

Found this while looking for another post, and again...brought a tear to my eye, so wanted to repost:

They all seem to run together. My first sober TX OU win will be the best, no matter what ever hapens: 2008, against #1. We were at Victory Plaza...just me and my son. That day.....it makes me tear up thinking about it. I let go of a lot of demons that day. Being a recovering dopefiend alcoholic, football fanatic...watching TX OU sober is a new experience. My son was 10 at the time. He's brain injured, and a little behind mentally...but you'd never know it by looking at him. Anyway, I remember we were behind, and this guy coming by and saying "We got this." And I knew. My son, the man of few words, looked at me and said," Yup. him right....we do." And I knew they were right. My son and I danced, and cried...hell, I didnt cry, I probablly wept. Even more so than after the MNC game. He was so happy. I can vividly see it in my mind's eye now. I don't ever recall seeing such a happy group of people. Dancing, hugging, smiling...all was right in Longhorn Nation.

It wasn't just a game though....things were different. My family was restored. We had just adopted a little one, Daniel Colton, a few days before. I had truly turned the corner. I had a good, corporate job. Me and God were hanging out again. And on that day everything was put right with a simple beating of a #1 team, by a then #5 Texas team.

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Very touching post...

I don't have a single moment. My first RRS was 1968 when James Street rallied the Horns to a 26-20 win using passes on a long final 4th qtr drive with Worster getting the final TD on a dive up the middle. I have many favorite memories of this storied rivalry... too many to list here, but here are 3 that come to mind quickly:

1. 1977 - 13-6 Horns victory after 2 QBs (McBath & Aune) knocked out of the game and Randy McEachern QB's us behind big game from EARL.
    2. 1989-1992 Peter Gardere guided Horns to 4 straight victories.
    3. 2005 - VY and Co. (see sig photo) take down ou 45-11.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Watching Randy Mceacheron (spelling) pulling out a victory after the first 2 UT qbs went down with injuries.

4. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

Got to be the '77 game...specifically when we, after pretty much shutting down BLoWu all day, had allowed them to drive deep into our territory late in the 4th quarter. There was a 4th and inches play where Brad Shearer and one of our DBs (last name Johnson??? Damn, I hate getting old...the memory, she ain't what she used to be) combined to stop the BLoWu QB on his keeper at or behind the line of scrimmage. Texas' ball! That stop preserved what I feel was the most important W over the $ooner$ ever. And back then the dollar sign in $ooner$ was well deserved.

5. lhbruleshalftime

lhbruleshalftime 250+ Posts

6. WorsterMan

berry - it was All American CB Johnnie Johnson and T Brad Shearer but MLB Lance Taylor had a role also in that huge goal line stop of who I believe was QB Thomas "bandana" Lott.

In '77 game Russell Exrleben was also a huge factor in that making 2 long FG's and in the second half punting 71 yards pinning ou deep at a critical point in the game.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The first Texas-OU game I attended in person was 2005. I was in one of the back few rows of the lower deck so I had the overhang to deal with and could only see like the bottom 5-10 rows of the opposite grandstands. When Vince launched that bomb to Billy Pittman at the end of the 1st half, I could see Pittman but not the ball. I knew he was so wide open that it was an certain touchdown if the pass was on target. So I watched the shadow of the football on the field and could tell from the path of shadow that the pass was going to connect with Pittman before I could see the football, so I probably started celebrating a split-second before he actually caught the pass.

8. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

My favorite was 1977. We exorcised a lot of demons that day.

Second is 2005 for the same reason.

OU sucks.

[​IMG]

9. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

10. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Randy's dream

11. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Comes true.

12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

This one is a little different. Friday of the 1988 game was warm, woke up Sat morning hungover and cold front had blown in. Guy selling raincoats in parking lot got rich. Any way, we were down late in the fourth and really no chance for a comeback. Murdock to Jones who was so fast at the time that he set up the OU player to get crushed by Johnny Walker. I stayed to the end and it was all worth it, especially after that hit.
    The Link

13. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Has to be 1977 my first year at UT. It was
    Erxleben's punting that helped the defense
    keep OU at bay till that last goal line stand.
    We had the wind in the 4th quarter, he boomed
    some punts. One from our goal line that the
    OU punt returner #11 Fred Nixon fielded over
    his shoulder on the dead run on his 30 yard line
    that he couldn't stop running the wrong way for
    another ten yards. If he hadn't been able to
    field that punt I think with the roll on astroturf
    would have gone 100 yards.

My seat was right on the goal line for that
    kick and the goal line stand. It looked for
    sure Lott was going to score and I saw a
    big hand reach out and grab him by the
    back of the neck and that stopped him
    dead in his tracks. Then Johnson and
    Taylor hit him. That big hand indeed
    belonged to Brad Shearer.

With two UT QB's going down then Earl
    scoring the winning TD and all that
    happened mentioned above it was a
    game to remember I believe against a
    #2 ranked Sooner team that had beaten
    highly ranked Ohio State at the Shoe
    the week before.

The Link

The Link

[​IMG]

14. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

15. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

1976....we had stopped them late in the game....leading 6-0 in the hardest hitting game I'd ever witnessed....

It was my last year as cheerleader and when we stopped 'em the fans went NUTS and the LHB was blaring TEXAS FIGHT....I remember coming out of a tumbling run in the middle of the field and the crowd was so damn loud and the band was right there as LOUD as I've ever heard them....a HUGE adrenaline RUSH!

...very special moment in my life realizing not many get to have those kinds of memories....

btw...yes, after the punt, we fumbled and ou scored and tied it up at the end....ou SUCKS! [​IMG]

16. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

1989 Gardere to Walker for a winning TD at the end of the game. Loudest I have ever heard the Cotton Bowl was on that play when Walker pulled the ball in at the goal line for the TD.

17. WorsterMan

Berry - your memory is right on about Lance Taylor - he hurt his shoulder tackling an A&M runner in the last regular season game - actually kamakaze DB Ricky Churchman hit him as he was making the tackle so it was a friendly fire injury. Taylor was a hoss on D and the D signal caller. It was clear we really missed him vs. ND in CB [​IMG]

After reading these posts and re-thinking favorite games - if I had to pick one - it probably would be 1977. As Texanne said that win exorcised a LOT of demons. It was a long, very emotional & joyous post game celebration that day - I saw at least 2 grown men (horn fans) with tears in their eyes after that game... there were probably many others I didn't see. The Horns had gotten blown out in several early '70's games and had tied that incredibly hard hitting 1976 game when the Horns were so close to winning over those sorry ********. UT had not beaten blow-u since 1970.

That1977 vick-tree was HUGE! [​IMG]

18. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

Agree on '89. Stadium exploded on that catch. Similar deal the following year in 1990 with the Keith Cash TD catch.

19. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

BHud…what a beautiful story. Congrats on finding the strength and turning that corner to open up this whole new world for yourself.

The 1984 monsoon game. First time ever to walk through the gates of the greatest rivalry ever.

The 1996 game. We lost in overtime, but that is not the point. Me and my girlfriend sat next to an elderly couple. When regulation time had expired, I overheard the lady whisper to my girlfriend “what is he like if we lose?”. Girlfriend glances at me, then glances back at the lady, who simply followed by patting my girlfriend on the arm and saying “nevermind”. I don’t know why that stands out, it just does. I guess it is because some things are just understood.

The 2008 game. Shipley’s kick off return. I knew at that moment we were seeing one for the ages.

20. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Mine is Stoni Clarks stop.

21. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

'89 - My first year working the game for the Texan, and I'm standing in the back of the end zone when Johnny Walker makes the catch about 10 feet away from me. Could almost feel the field shaking. Considering my other three OU games to that point were all blowouts, I really didn't get a true taste of what it was like until that game.

22. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Went down to the drag after the '77 game
    Pure unadultered bedlam and joy !

23. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

BHud...loved the post. my favorite is somewhat similar.

i, too, am a recovering dope fiend/alchy. i met a lovely young lady at a recovery meeting. after talking to her til about 3:00 a.m over coffee & discovering she is a huge Texas fan living in red raider country, i invited her to come to my house to watch the Texas/ou game on TV the next day. she accepted. that was 25 years ago this weekend and she is now Mrs.1sahorn.

the game didn't go our way, but we've had a great 25 years & 2 great sons, 1 of which is also a Longhorn. she and i celebrate this anniversary more than we do our wedding anniversary.

HOOK 'EM & ou sux

24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

89 was an awesome game, Especially because I believe we were major under dogs.. [​IMG]

25. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

26. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

Freshman year, 1969. The only Texas/OU game I've attended. Watched Texas beat my friend and high school QB Jack Mildren.
    Sweet!

[​IMG]

27. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

My fav is the Stonie Clark goal line stand.....freaking allsome!!! [​IMG] I was in the west side upper deck just freaking allsome!!

"The reverse....One man to beat....Allen..NO!"
    [​IMG] Stonie's stone cold stop on 4th down

28. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

1983, Edwin Simmons first game v ousux--also 1984, famous Marcus Dupree game--still remember hit that knocked him out
    of college football.. [​IMG]

29. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

WorsterMan, TexAnne and others

1977 and 1976 were like no others.

If (my good, no great friend) Lance Taylor does not make the initial move on the stop, then one thing is almost CERTAIN; WE LOSE.

THANK YOU LANCE TAYLOR!!!

Lance diagrammed what happened on that CRUCIAL 4th and one from the 5 yard line in my office (under 2 minutes left in 1977 game). The moment the snap takes place, Thomas Lott head fakes to his right and 10 of 11 Texas defenders motion in the WRONG direction. #32 Lance Taylor ( he basically quarterbacked that Leon Fuller coached defense) stays home for a split second and sees Lott"s quickly change direction. Lance instinctively knew he was heading way outside left tackle and rushes with all he has got to meet him at the five and TURNS HIM INSIDE. By this time he gets assists from Brad Shearer and Johhnnie Johnson who lock him up and force him back. Lott never makes the four yard line and the ball turns over on downs.

THE RAMIFICATIONS OF THIS ONE PLAY.

1. If they get the first down they score and we lose (or tie) for the Seventh consecutive year in a row. [​IMG] [​IMG] And remember we lost in 1978 and that would have been the eighth.

2. The dream of an undefeated season goes right down the crapper and so does the chance to play in the Cotton for a NC.

3. Earl Campbell and The University of Texas have one less Heisman Trophy.

My opinion of Lance Taylor;

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

By the way, he does not like me bragging on him, so tough apples Lance, I have been waiting a long time to express my appreciation, so there it is.

30. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

1977 for me. And the guy that made the tackle on Nixon on the punt return was Bruce Scholtz, from Austin. Erxleben boomed that kick. Maybe the biggest thud I heard off a foot (from far above)

Like TA said, it exorcised a lot of demons. For awhile it didn't look like anyone would beat 0u with all those (Texas blue chip) athletes they were hauling year after year.

1983 might be 2nd. Marcus Dupree meets Richard Peavy. Dupree was knocked out of college football that play. And, sitting in the north end zone, watching Edwin break the long run was a thing of beauty. The OL pushed a lot of red around on that play, no one could get a clean shot on Edwin.

1976. That one hurt. Looked like DKR was going out a winner, then Ivey Suber carries the ball in the wrong hand, gets stipped.....0u takes it in for a score after recovering the fumble.....according to Heard's book Lionel Aldredge leans over and says 'don't choke' to the 0u center, who snapped the ball over the holder.

What I recall most about that 76 game was the wind. Snapping a ball INTO the wind was going to guarantee a bad snap unless you put a load of zip on it. It's hard to imagine now, the kind of hatred that series had back then. We're too nice now.