FBI probe -- some assistant coaches arrested

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Joe Fan, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Crockett- it will take a while, but let's see what type of convictions/plea deals come out of this. Breaking NCAA rules and/or paying players, isn't necessarily a crime.

Horns - your second paragraph is spot on.

2. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I was just going to post as well that breaking NCAA rules isn't a crime.

Fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, extortion, and other related actions are crimes, and not necessarily Federal crimes subject to FBI jurisdiction.

Remember, SMU's outrageous actions and consequences were governed by NCAA rules non-compliances. Perhaps there may HAD been violations of federal or state laws, but don't recall any federal or state action on them.

For the FBI to make arrests in this case really raises eyebrows.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Crockett,

I doubt this will do anything to "cleanup" college athletics other than to enable the federal government to get in the middle of things and screw them up whenever and wherever they desire.

Every school that cheats or has cheated has thus "laundered money", been guilty if bank fraud, a party to tax evasion, and so on.

How long has it been around? I can't tell you, but can tell you what I was told by a bigtime recruit from Beaumont, who took a visit to Michigan State in January, 1965. He was taken to a basketball game by a coach with "bad knees". The coach asked the recruit to please go get him a Coke, and gave the kid a $100 bill. Then asked for a hotdog, and passed another $100 bill. The kid returned to Beaumont and went to Kinsel Ford on 11th Street to buy a new 1965 dark turquoise Mustang for $2,850.

Fast forward through thousands of transgressions to a couple of groundbreaking events:

SMU buying the first house for a player's mother

UNC (you know where the money came from) topping the $100,000 price for a QB

Nebraska's use of annuities

Colorado's inventive use of hookers in the 70s (pre Barnett)

VT's use of airplane tickets to players

Get a copy of the series of articles in the Miami Herald from 1994 (?) about the terrorizing security and bounties of the convicts.

This is for starters. If the feds want to get involved in point shaving, betting (they don't have the balls to touch that one), grade tampering, etc, I can support that all day long. The NCAA has no authority, but the P5 schools will police themselves if allowed to do so. The feds need to stay out of college athletics. If they are going to investigate kickbacks, a week or two in Las Colinas would be welcome, except they would likely exonerate the culprits simply because they no longer have any money trackers that can trace a wire transfer.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Gameday sign

[​IMG]

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

NCAA saving money by having a New York Grand Jury doing an investigation that the NCAA should have done. This is a violation of the Never Ever Under No Circumstances Invite Any Governmental Department Into Your Business Rule.

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Thank you for your service. I agree there are some very competent and devoted government employees. In sure your wife is one of those. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

More NCAA BBall corruption revealed

Financial records, documents and wiretaps tied to prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller and featuring his former associate, Christian Dawkins, have provided a detailed window for authorities into how the college basketball underworld operated, sources with knowledge of the ongoing federal investigation have told Yahoo Sports in recent days.

Sources familiar with the probe told Yahoo Sports that there’s a surprising level of specificity in the documents, bank records and wiretaps involving Miller’s business. They include exact dollar figures and intricate documentation of payments to the families of college players. There are also conversations brokering deals between Dawkins and the clients he was recruiting.

There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” said a source familiar with the investigation. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.....”

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-sp...t-scheme-hoops-corruption-case-001618078.html

10. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Whew, not us.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What a total waste of taxpayer money. If they can prove point shaving, then there is a crime, otherwise, there is too much crap in this country that needs to be taken care of for them to worry about how much Joe's momma got under the table or the car Mohammed is driving. Isn't that supposed to be the NCAA's job? The feds need to worry about real crime and not college athletic violations.

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I would be disappointed to know we cheated. I would be more disappointed to know we cheated to get what we have.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

According to a radio show I'm listening to right now, Yahoo has apparently acquired many documents which lists Texas as one of 20 D1 schools being investigated.

Walking into work right now so I do t have time to research, but if so this will be awful.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Per Yahoo sports app. Couldn't figure out how to share the link. How many jokes will be written about how we have to cheat to be this bad.......

The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. (NCAA officials declined a request for comment.) There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to all of the players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  15. Vol Horn 4 Life

• Current Texas player Eric Davis. (According to documents, he received $1,500.)
    Among the players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins:
    • Former Texas player Prince Ibeh.

16. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

At least win something if you are going to cheat Texas Basketball....

• Like Like x 3
  18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

If it was any thought of replacing Shaka this may have created a window

• Like Like x 2
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Exactly. I don’t care about players receiving money because they should be paid anyway. But if you are going to cheat you might as well be good at it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

When I bolded that part of the quote above, I was saying to myself, "Please dont let it be us."

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ibeh was a Barns recruit.

23. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

If (big IF) Ibeh only met with him once, that really is not a big deal. It was just a misjudgment that really did not affect anything. The Davis taking money is a problem though. I wonder when Davis took the money.

24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

At the end of the day I think that Texas will be fine. 1,500 dollars isn’t anything, I’m disappointed that Eric didn’t get more than that.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

$2,500 kept Billy Sims from leaving Norman early for the NFL.

26. Vol Horn 4 Life

On its own the school would be able to handle it. Lumped in with Pitino's mess and other true slime might make it worse than it should be. We might have to forfeit like 6 games and miss the postseason next year which we probably won't make anyway.

27. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Can we “voluntarily” miss the postseason this year? It would be a great sacrafice and missing losing in the first round of the CBI again should make things right.

• Like Like x 3
  28. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Isaiah Taylor was also named for sharing a $147 meal at PF Changs with Dawkins.

29. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

While it does not look like Shaka or UT was involved anyway, it would be interesting to know the timeline of when this happened.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Rick Barnes was fired March 29, 2015.

Prince Ibeh met with the agent on March 1, 2016, Isaiah Taylor met with him on March 2, 2016, and Eric Davis was advanced money in March of 2016, nearly a year after Barnes was fired.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-...g-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

^ you can see that information by simply clicking the original story and looking at the documents.

Why is the statesman article so Barnes focussed? What does Barnes have to do with anything? A year after he was fired, former players took money from a rogue agent. I mean, I doubt this has anything to do with Shaka either from what I have heard so far, but still.

The only potential things we could forfeit are the March 4, 2016 win over Okie State, last season where we went 11-22 and this year where we likely end up in the CBI.

• Like Like x 1