Febrile Seizures

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Rex Kramer, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

My two year old son had one at 3 AM this morning. Called 911, ambulance came, wife freaked out, etc. Hell I freaked out even though I have had a seizure, recognized he was having a seizure (and would be okay). They are not a pleasant thing to witness.

Anyway, doc said it was of febrile variety, which made sense given he was very feverish with ear infection. Said there was 80% chance it'd never happen again.

There was about a minute there last night I thought he'd die. That minute lasted seemingly for an hour.

2. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

I hope the boy is ok. What an awful thing to go through, hope you and your wife are ok too.

3. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

He's completely fine, thanks. Apparently these seizure types are linked to spikes of temperature in kids aged through 6 years old. Then they go away after that, there is no damage done at all by having one, and they are not a precursor to epilepsy or anything.

Scary, very scary to watch. But apparently aside from rattled psyche, harmless.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Glad to hear he’s OK Rex. That is some seriously scary stuff, and you feel totally helpless to do anything about it.

My youngest son had a couple when he two or three years old. My wife called me from the neighborhood pool one day, totally freaked out, I heard the ambulance sirens in the background. This kid had 11 surgeries in his first year so we were hypersensitive to problems with him.

He was fine and it has never happened again. Of course, he’s a boy so he has since broken an arm and had other injuries like little boys do, but such is life.

Note to self: hug those kids again today!

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Prayers for your little one. Hope it never happen again -- I cannot imagine anything so scary!

6. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

There is no worse feeling than that of watching something like this happen to your child and being utterly helpless while it happens. I am glad everything is OK and that the diagnosis is febrile seizures.

7. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Curious, What was the highest temp you recorded and by what method?

8. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Actually, only 102. No idea the method. My wife did it.