February Bar Exam results

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Dr Fear, May 1, 2008.

1. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

[​IMG] I have a friend who just passed on his 4th attempt. [​IMG]

I can't imagine what a weight off his shoulders this is.

2. Bevo04

Bevo04 100+ Posts

4th attempt?damn. Good for him for sticking with it. I was emotionally and physically drained for quite some time after I took it. I can't imagine taking it 4 times.

3. UTViking

UTViking 250+ Posts

Ah come on, Adrian, it's true. I was nobody. But that don't matter either, you know? 'Cause I was thinkin', it really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

4. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

My ex girlfriend failed it for the second time today.

5. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

I'm gonna catch **** for saying this, but if takes you four times to pass the bar, then you're probably......ah hell, I'll just stop right there.

6. BillyW

BillyW 500+ Posts

Didnt it take John Kennedy, Jr about 120 times to pass it?

7. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

8. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

^
    ^
    I laughed out loud after reading that.....sorry God.

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

People I was watching for, passed. Congratulations to them and everyone who passed.

Hopefully, in six months, it'll be me...

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

Good luck Bob.

Passage rate is usually around 75 or 80%

If you went to TSU the passage rate is about 22%

How they have an accredidation I have no idea.

Oh and take Barbri or some other such class. It's $2,000.00 but it makes you put in the work and is worth it, imo.

11. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

12. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

13. Bob in Houston

Thanks, Wulaw. All good wishes and prayers gratefully accepted.

I've been paranoid about the bar exam. I've not taken every single bar-related course, but enough that I won't be trying to learn three or four subjects in Barbri. I basically put Barbri and PMBR on my financial aid (took enough money to cover it).

I expect to pass, but I have a healthy respect for the BLE defense...

As to TSU, I read that the ABA wants to decertify schools that don't have a 75 percent pass rate, something like that. Not knowing anything about what goes on there, I'm torn between giving people a shot at it if they can hack it, and wondering whether the entire setup is flawed.

I am about to finish at South Texas, and we have a non-credit course in the last semester designed to kick-start MBE prep. I am convinced it has helped raise the pass rate. Anyway, the guy who teaches it has started doing the same thing at TSU. Early this semester, he mentioned this, saying, with a shake of the head, "They need help over there."

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

If you can only get 1 out of 5 of your people to pass the professional licensing exam you shouldn't have a school.

Screw giving people a shot (in that context) what you are really doing is fleecing them out of their money with no payoff down the road.

That being said- I'm more or less a free market guy so I'm not campaigning that they be shut down, but that's seriously bad.

Fear the bar exam b/c failing it is a really bad way to go, but that attitude will probably lead for you to pass it with like a 150 point cushion and you'll laugh and say, I could have slacked off more.

15. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

22% is an exaggeration. TSU's pass rates for first time test takers have been from 50-70% lately:
    The Link

16. Bob in Houston

17. Horns_House

Horns_House 100+ Posts

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

I'm sorry- I ddin't know they had improved their scores that much since I took the bar 5 or 6 years ago.

If so props to them- that's a good turnaround to get to 50% It still isn't good, but it's not the flaming embarassment it was in the past.

90% passage rate for first time takers seems a bit high to me- it was like 78% I want to say when I was looking at it while I was taking it. Are they grading easier or are students performing better?

As to looking at scores/gpa and saying it's unlikely to happen that someone will pass- I agree wtih that to a point. there was a saying when I was looking that there is a law school for everyone. Maybe there shouldn't be. I don't think I'm an elitist, but cmon, it's a profession where you could be handling somebody's life, liberty, property and death- it doesn't seem like we should allow everyone that shows up to be able to handle that kind of responsibility. I know I don't want an incompetant doctor or dentist or accountant b/c those things are all really important.

19. Bob in Houston

20. blueglasshorse

blueglasshorse 1,000+ Posts

21. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

22. Bob in Houston

23. hornFANtastic

hornFANtastic 100+ Posts

was his name Vinny Gambino [​IMG]