Field Turf pictures?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by JesterHorn, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

Anyone up in Austin have some pics of how the field is coming along? I know they started removing the real grass on Sunday.

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Remove it? They sold it.

3. LongJohn

LongJohn 100+ Posts

Still bulldozing and prepping the field. Nothing picture worthy yet.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Trust me, you don't want to see what it looks like now, it's ugly. Bulldozers rumbling on the field, digging in with their metal talons and ripping **** up. It's a big mess of dirt and nothing of recognition. Ther is no field. Like Dave, it's not here, man.

5. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

that sounds picture worthy to me!

6. Zuerst

Zuerst 250+ Posts

^^^ yeah, how many times do you get to see a barren DKR?

7. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

I agree. Pics of the demolition would be interesting.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb 25+ Posts

9. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

Very nitfy pics, thanks TyWebb.

Can't figure out if it looks more like a strip mining operation or a cornfield that's about to get planted.
    [​IMG]

10. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

It is going to look great at night.

[​IMG]

11. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

not only great photos, but perfectly sized for the bulletin board.... you get 10 Stars for that effort. Absolutely professional.

12. Lone_Star

Lone_Star 100+ Posts

They painted the fireworks stand burnt orange? I just did notice that. Thanks a lot for the great pictures. Those stands that are going up are going to be semi-permanent? I guess I just don't really see the support structure for potential bathrooms and/or concessions, but I don't pretend to be an engineer.

13. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Our stands lay back too much.

14. drborange

drborange 500+ Posts

Thanks for the pics. As said, very good size and angle. Now I have a pic for this stage of developement. Much appreciated. [​IMG]

15. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

16. Trifecta

Trifecta 250+ Posts

I flew in to Lubbock last weekend and it looked about the same.

17. win1

win1 25+ Posts

What happened to the mega drainage system we had in place? Does it work with the new turf or do we install an entirely new system?

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Based on the trenching it looks like a new system going in.

19. alt875

alt875 250+ Posts

I hear they are planning a monster truck rally before they put the new field down.

20. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

You have plenty of time to post additional pictures of the installation. The prep work for the FieldTurf installation started in early April and the actual FieldTurf installation is scheduled for June.

Think FieldTurf doesn't look like real grass? Check out this LAWN installation in Islamorada, Florida The Link .

See The Link for more information.

The installation process is pretty involved:

SITE PREP

At the most simplistic extreme, site preparation requires only the stripping of existing sod (generally requiring a “sod cutter” machine) and some hand manicuring of the underlying soils so as to soften naturally occurring peaks and valleys. At the other extreme is major excavation involving substantial areas of “cut and fill,” and involving an extensive array of landscape enhancements as might be imagined.

In relation to the areas to be covered by, the only important considerations are:

- The soils must be stable, but not necessarily compacted;
    - Contouring of soils must provide drainage away from permanent structures at a slope that optimally does not exceed 30%;
    - Soils must be suitable to permit vertical drainage without excessive retention;
    - Flat surfaces are avoided in favor of undulations that accentuate what would be considered naturally appearing to the overall landscape.

EDGING

A specified structural edge must be installed. The laying out and staking of the edging over the entirety of the site is the precursor step to the physical installation.

CUTTING, SEAMING, & ATTACHMENT

Since the design phase recognizes how standard (15 foot width rolls) will come together within the limits of the perimeter edging, the turf is first cut into rectangles (known as panels). The panels are laid-out on the natural soils and within the predetermined pattern.

The panels are then cut/trimmed into the edging the same way as indoor carpet is cut to a wall surface. Next, the panels are seamed together using a tape and/or glue process which is also traditionally similar to indoor carpet.

The turf is then attached by screws into the structural edging on the entirety of the perimeter.

INFILLING

Layers of specified sand and rubber are drop spread and settled between the synthetic grass fibers through a process know as “Infilling”.

GROOMING

Grooming utilizes a power broom and hand broom to manicure the final rubber infill layer to a desired and consistent exposure height of the synthetic grass blades.

SITE RESTORATION

This final step involves the maneuvering of planting bed soils, mulch, stones and/or other landscape materials back against the outer side of the perimeter edging. General clean-up and the return of ornamentation completes the installation project.

21. RecklessKelli

RecklessKelli 250+ Posts

Great information there Santefe. Thanks for that. I've thought many times about removing the GIANT pain in the *** that is mowing the yard and treating the lawn by putting in an artificial turf. I think as water costs go up we'll see people doing this. One question though. Looking at their website it says "great for pets." What about all the piss and sh*t?

22. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

the thought of field turf makes me sick

23. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

No matter how "real" it looks, it's ******* plastic. Football should not be played on plastic. But that's "progress" for you. We should just put a roof over DKR, change the name to Joe Jamail Dome and be done w/ it. [​IMG]

24. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

25. glenn

glenn 1,000+ Posts

the thing that bothers me about field turf for residential use is what do you do when that goes bad? everything we do has a life cycle. can you just replace the carpet?

it reminds me a little of the vinyl roof craze for cars some years ago. nobody thought about what do you do when the sun eats that stuff up.

laser eye surgery is a little like that, too. how good is it 30 years later? 40? 50? we don't know.

26. cincyhorn

cincyhorn 100+ Posts

How about motorcross??

27. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

I guess since it requires very little maintenance, our season ticket prices will go down in price! [​IMG]

28. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

Dont we have enough ******* plastic in the world so that we don't need to replace our grass with plastic? Come on you posers, this is akin to fake flowers and covering your couch in plastic. For a football field is one thing - for you lawn

29. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

Just a question...

How many of you went to the spring game?

The field was actually bald in some spots.

Plastic is cheap any doesn't have the same nostalgia, but you don't see us going back to leather helmets.

Get used to it. This is Texas, grass doesn't grow here.

30. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Alll of you bitching and crying about the new fake grass better deal with it. It's going in whether you like it or not, and you'll see more Big-12 teams installing it.

If you don't like the idea of the new fake turf, why don't you ***** about it to Coach Brown? (It won't change anything, but I guess you'll feel better. ) Who do you think made the decision to replace the real stuff with the synthetic? Think back to how crappy our real grass looked and how bad the footing was during the A&M game, or have you conveniently forgotten about these important factors?