Field Turf pictures?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by JesterHorn, Apr 8, 2009.

1. STLHornFan

STLHornFan 25+ Posts

Put in through the washer a few times on warm cycle and Im sure it'll fade a bit [​IMG]

2. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

3. 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 25+ Posts

Looks a lot more "burnt" in the Austin TV station video. I can live with it.

4. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

There will still be chaps, right? [​IMG]

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Still looks like plastic, and still looks awful. I mean I know I have complained a great deal about the plastic carpet, but this is even more awful. It isn't even close to burnt orange. Wow.

6. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

How about you wait until it's finished before you amp up your bitching even more.

7. Slick16

Slick16 250+ Posts

8. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

It is going to look allsome for night games.

[​IMG]

9. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Plastic grass is **** regardless of the color.

10. Texas.PancakeMan

Texas.PancakeMan 100+ Posts

Jesus, I've never heard so many people moan and groan in my life about something so trivial.

If aggies can learn to cope with and cherish their absent football team, I'd imagine that a few horns would catch the reality and grasp that the turf has not even been set for half a week yet. I was wrong. Do you expect the complete installation process to take a few days? Wait until it is finished, THEN complain.

Besides, UT is one of the richest schools in the nation.. do you think they would really mind throwing a bit more money on the field to fix a problem with coloring that they virtually invented?

Honestly, this is just embarrassing to the fan-base now. I could've sworn I was trolling Texags when I read this thread. Have you guys even seen the color shown on the news video above? It's pretty damn close to burnt orange if you ask me. Besides, the person who uploaded the pictures he took mentioned his color balance was off (great pics by the way).

Last, I've heard enough of complaining about getting rid of the grass. Unless you were footing the bill for maintenance of the grass, I don't want to hear anything. Ya, I prefer grass, but I'm sure it was an enormous economical decision to switch. I'm sure abandoning the care that grass takes, as well as fixing it when it's ripped and eliminating the negative impact it has on games (see: game against Aggie), all ended up being an enormous relief on the wallet. And frankly, as a student at UT, I love to hear when UT is able to save money doing something, as it should help tuition costs just a bit, or at least not increase them. Now, with a larger number of events held at DKR, turf should turn out to be a major profit-center.

...at least if there weren't so many horns complaining to fix it.

Honestly kiddos, grow up a little. And don't say "grass was traditional". Technically, grass is traditional for most every school in the nation, and I'm sure it's MUCH more economic for many other schools outside of Austin, TX.

11. Texas___Fight

/
    /
    /

Where to start..[​IMG]

12. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

13. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

When I hear an actual player voice a negative opinion about the turf, I might be inclined to listen to what he has to say. As for the opinions on this thread, who cares...none of you are the ones playing on it. There are lots of good reasons UT chose the turf option. I haven't heard any bad ones...with the exception that it is not pleasing to some fans.

Get over yourselves. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I was not an opponent to the field turf coming in nor am I at this point. But the color is fubar. I do have one little thing that is a pet peeve of mine and that is the Bevo logo. There is the one I think is cool and others that are not. I like the narrower horns which are less blunt and squatty.

I don't like it when it is surrounded with a white border because it is usually the more squatty Bevo. I hope some know what I mean. Well, they did the Bevo on the 50 yard line and it is the squatty one with a big white border around it. I like it better, personal opinion, when it is just the Burnt Orange and then grass, no border. It looks, well, to me and my opinion, horrible.

Some people will like it, some won't. Some won't even care. Hell, some fans wear yellow, blue or any color other than Burnt Orange to games. They won't care either. And I guess there is nothing wrong with that at the end of the day. But this seems like such a simple thing to mess up. I am referring to the color.

I am an optimist when it comes to the Horns. Sometimes to a fault, I admit this. I could apply as the understudy to the Iraqi Press Minister who claimed nothing was wrong when that was far from the case. That said, our field looks like **** at this time. It may get better but at this moment, as of today, it looks like some Jr. High field.

Whoever was in charge of this at Belmont, you sort of suck at this aspect of your job. Again, this is just my opinion. I am not going to be dramatic like say I am done with the program, won't go to games, etc.. But I will make fun of the field. When your hand rails are ten shades darker than your end zones and it s blatant, you biffed.

Break out the spray paint and green over the border mid field and the Burnt Orange for the end zone and I get to stop whining. However, you know I will have my butt in a seat this year cheering my head off for the Longhorns playing on that horrid joke of a field.

15. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I am old school and a fan of grass surfaces for the American game of football. However, DKR now has field turf, so forget what me or any of us want, prefer or think is best - we gotta make the best of field turf at DKR and live with it... it is reality for the future.

Now having said that, I want them to get the burnt orange color right [​IMG]

16. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

I was against the change but it looks pretty damn good to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

^
    I agree. It looks pretty good.

18. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

It does not look like that in person, believe me. Not today it did not. And the Bevo, the borderless one is displayed to the right of the photo screen shot of the field.

Is it the most horrific field? No. Is it as good as it could be? No.

19. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

20. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I should have had a new paragraph for Bevo. I had mentioned the Bevo I prefer is the one not surrounded by a white border. There is an example of the one I like next to the picture of the field in that screen capture.

Maybe I am being narrow minded since I have seen this whole process up close just about every day. But I want to like it. I want to think it is awesome and I really want it to be the truth. I am not anti-turf. I am not a grass purist.

The shade on the field, to my eyes, is not a shade of Burnt Orange. It is Orange, however.

21. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Gargle some of this and maybe you'll feel better:

[​IMG]

The field is lookin' great, even from these tiny pics.

22. Texas___Fight

23. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I see a fake field and I want to rip it up! I see a fake field and I want to rip it up (Sung to the Rolling Stone's tune for I see a red door and I want to paint it black)....

Grass! Grass! Grass! Grass!

24. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

I had a chance to look at the field in person earlier today. It's burnt orange. (And there's plenty of time to tweak the color of the end zones if necessary.)

25. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Maybe seeing it up close every day has tweaked my perspective.

26. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I just hope the PA and scoreboard spells out who we're playing because we won't be able to recognize them by uniform.

27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

these recent post have "tweaked" my desire to see the field for myself... but since that won't happen anytime soon, I will have to rely on my buds on HF.

28. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I vote we switch to all-white uniforms at home. Just get rid of the orange... uh, Burnt Orange jerseys all together except for when we have to wear them in Dallas. Go Storm Trooper white all the time. Will stand out on the Nickelodeon field at DKR. On my superbly calibrated Panny HD set it will look stunning.

29. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Link
    Austin American Statesman picture of how the field turf is coming along.

30. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts