Fight for the Site

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 27, 2014.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I understand this site has become a headache, but please reconsider.
    Many of us are emotionally attached to HornFans and it is a nice part of our daily ritual.

May I suggest you ban the jerks and make it a pay site for the rest of us? I will gladly contribute.
    Maybe other posters can offer other options to help keep this site up and running.
    But if there is no changing your mind, thanks for your gift of HornFans to me[​IMG]

WorsterMan
    Texanne
    El Torito
    stanhin
    Dionysus
    Badass
    CedarParkFan
    Bob in Houston
    johnny88
    accuratehorn
    Hook'em Danno
    yelladawgdem
    Vol Horn 4 Life
    BabHorn
    pmg
    beaVo
    horninchicago
    LikeMike
    TexasOwnzYou
    TheFied
    jayakris
    caryhorn
    FWHORN
    Seattle Husker
    Bevo-Stevo
    dillohorn
    100p
    PropJoe
    NelLHAB
    Bill in Sinton
    ElginHotSausage
    Olhorn
    Bayerithe
    texas ex2000
    salonghorn - 70
    REALBIGHORNFAN
    Statalyzer
    majorapplewhites
    SunBurntOrange
    Htown77
    Horn69
    dukesteer
    huisache
    #2is#1
    kbrown
    22 Horn
    FWHORN
    TxnByBirth
    HoffHorn
    wadster
    caryhorn
    moondog LFZ
    bck031
    dalhorn1
    2003TexasGrad
    aUTfan

I couldn't name every poster, apologize to the other great posters left out, but among all of us surely we can come up with some way to keep this thing going. Lets not give up so offer your ideas and suggestions.

Texas Taps, with all due respect, your shtick is probably better suited for Shaggy.
    Please consider joining them.

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

3. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Don't worry, Catholic. Taps has been banned from shaggy multiple times. Not even we want all that baggage.

4. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

5. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Well we are discussing some options on some other threads like the hosting thread.

I wasn't listed, but I will go on somehow even if hornfans doesn't. [​IMG]

6. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

WTF? I wasn't mentioned...Jesus ******* Christ....you call yourself a Catholic...

7. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Seriously, does this site not have the balls to ban Texas Taps?

The most immature poster ever on this forum.

And yes, that's as classy as anyone can possibly keep it.

Do the owners/moderators have any idea that he ruins this site?

Cue his immature reaction now....

{posted before I saw that the site was closing down; I guess it doesn't matter anymore}

8. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

9. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for including me in your list, LonghornCatholic; I certainly subscribe to all your suggestions. I hope the owners will consider banning the jerk(s) and then continuing with the site.

10. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

I would be happy to pitch in what I can to keep this site open. It's the first place I visit every morning and my oasis during game days and it would be a shame to see it end.

As for Taps, I don't mind him/her/it at all. Everyone gets to have a say and no matter what I think of Taps' opinions, it sure is fun watching all the different and novel ways people disagree (and occasionally agree) with him.

And to Katy and Rob: I became a member of this site when I still lived in Seattle and will never forget how kind y'all were to me (and how well you fed me at the tailgate) when I flew down for the Iowa State game in 2006. Both of you are much appreciated. [​IMG]

11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Longhorn Catholic - splendid idea, I second your motion!

I am willing to "re-up" or "re-subscribe" if this can somehow be transitioned to a pay site to keep this good thing going. I will even agree to keep TAPS!!!

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor or idoit posters bombed HornFans? No!!!!!!

[john belushi] OK, who's with me !!! [john belushi]

[​IMG]

12. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I take it that you have some inside knowledge about the site owner's intentions? This is the first I've heard about HornFans shutting down.

13. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I'm hoping they reconsider. I'll even tolerate Taps if they will. [​IMG]

14. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

15. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Thanks Stanhin

16. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

I'd gladly participate if the site can be saved as a subscriber pay site.

17. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I too would gladly help make this a pay site to keep it going. And especially with Taps. For me he is a little like the thought of Hillary campaigning in 2016 with a Jewish grandbaby on her hip: it will piss off all of the right people! [​IMG]

18. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I'd be interested in subscription fee or whatever.

19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Too bad, lots of great memories and posts over the years. It was fun. I wich it sould stay up, but that's business. Wehn is the final day?

20. cnstoll58

cnstoll58 100+ Posts

I'll pay [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. BrntOrngBld

BrntOrngBld 25+ Posts

22. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

When I read some of the acidic comments on this site about Mack Brown last year (some here actually hoped the guy would get cancer), it occurred to me that it was probably time for this site to die, along with every other Longhorn sports message board. The on-line “fanbase” has become infected with too many moral reprobates.

23. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

No, there was some very bad vitriol spewed personally at Mack and one thread went as far as attacking his wife. It was surprisingly bad and that directly led me to defending him on this site far more fervently than reasonable football criticisms would have. I know I found it offensive that such things would be said by Texas fans against ANY Texas football legend from Mack to VY to Street or Bobby Layne or Earl or even Fred Akers or anyone else.

That being said, I have not seen anything like that lately. Some posters may have gone a bit overboard on Coach Strong but nothing has been remotely close to the way it was at the end of the Mack era. I take that as a sign that maturity has returned and would love to see hornfans survive.

Even with the negative, the board is mostly reasonable football discussion unlike any other Texas board. I admit I can get overly passionate about Shawn Watson, and so have others in the discussions, but the discussions still stay reasoned with almost everyone contributing reasonable views.

In general, so many tidbits of great Texas football information are provided by many different posters. Not, just Texas football, but in the stands, basketball, baseball, recruiting, and the other boards. I have occasionally gotten into some fun discussions on west mall as well. The website also allows Texas fans to get a feel for what the alumni are thinking. I know out of state alumni rely on this site for that.

While I am not web designer and cannot contribute many ideas on that front, I would love to know what can be done to possibly save the site and what regular posters like me can do to help.

25. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

For a coach that put us in two national championship games there were too many posts about him that were disrespectful to say the least.

26. LonghornCatholic

27. LonghornCatholic

28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I'll add I think most of the bickering is a result of Texas not winning like we were from 2001-2009. Texas will not be winning like that again until at least next season. The bickering about why we are not winning will likely continue until at least next season. I do understand why the the website owners do not want to put up with this. I'll say thanks again for putting up with it as long as you all have and for creating the best Texas football forum on the internet. I hope you'll reconsider and weather the storm.

29. LonghornCatholic

30. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I've been a paying sponsor/member for a while. And for the very small fee I pay, I consider this site a bargain. I would pay a bit more to keep it up and running.

I don't think players should be personally called out. I don't think coaches or their families should be personally slandered.

I made a mistake in going overboard re: a coach a few years ago and was banned for three months. I deserved it. I have no ill feelings about it. I learned my lesson.

Someone recently posted a thread calling Charlie "an abortion of a coach." To me, that poster should have been suspended for a while. He may have been. I don't know. Anyway, there are perfectly legit ways to express dissatisfaction with a coach without being offensive. If I learned that lesson, and I did, anyone can. [​IMG]

And by the way, thanks for including me in the list. I genuinely appreciate it.