Final Rivals100 Released

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HornLivin, Jan 15, 2008.

1. HornLivin

HornLivin 250+ Posts

The Link

2. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

wow only two 5 stars for USC
    Im still wondering why we didn't go after Julio Jones or go National looking for a top DT.

3. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

Losing that many of the top Texas prospects to OOS schools is sickening. [​IMG]

This year seems really bad; almost reminiscent of the pre-MB 90's.

4. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

Throw in 2 more on that list that is going to OU as of tonight.

Owens & McGee.

5. HornJD79

HornJD79 25+ Posts

6. Nytejag

Nytejag 100+ Posts

Hey people. I thought this was a so-so class too, until I was told by another poster to look at it closer; to read what is being said recently about our recruits, and to watch the videos. Yes, we did miss on certain areas of need; OL and DE. However, these guys have SPEED, and a lot of heart. A couple of defensive players are said to "lay the wood"!! Just the speed is amazing though. [​IMG]

7. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

You have to look at classes in 2 year chunks. With the class of 2007 and 2008 we have quality and quantity at DE and OL.

This class is solid. IF we close on 1 prospect we're surely to finish rivals top 6 and if we get both (esp scott) we will be no. 4.

Not a down class.

And next year could be 2001 redux. The class of 09 starts in 4 weeks.

8. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

9. getyourhornsup

getyourhornsup 25+ Posts

On Rivals they have an article right by the new 100 were experts predict were the uncommitted will go. I don't know about you guys, but I was surprised to find that all four experts believe that Darrell Scott will go to CU. Is there something I am missing here.

10. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

11. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Anybody who thinks this is a down year for Mack just doesn't know recruiting. Mack brought in 2 consecutive solid top 5 classes in 06 and 07. If you think you aren't going to lose out on a few guys simply due to playing time concerns then you are kidding yourself. Mack will always lose out on some of the top talent in state each year. Even in 06 and 07 he didn't sweep the top 10 in-state, but he did get:

4 of top 6 in 07, and 12 of the top 19 that year as well

6 of top 9 in 06, and 10 of top 20 in the top 20 that year as well

This year in the LSR Texas has 4 of the top 10, and 8 of the top 16.

So yes he is not going to get 80% or more of the top top recruits in state but he is going to get the lionshare. If you can't be happy with that then you can't be happy. We did win in 05 by the way without getting Bomar or AD, and with what many consider the 2 most down years for Mack in 03 and 04.

This year Mack has gotten some of the top player's at their individual positions in-state. What more can you ask from Mack since he doesn't look OOS too much? Oh, and the top RB in the nation has UT in his top 2.

12. Vote For Pedro

Wow. Some overly sensitive people on here, reading between the lines a bit too much.

My comment wasn't an indictment of Mack losing players to OOS schools. In fact I never mentioned Mack or Texas specifically. My comment was an indictment of that many players choosing to leave the state rather than staying here to play for anyone in Texas. I don't remember seeing 50% of the top 15 players leaving the state with places like Stanford on their list in a number of years, but I have to admit I only follow recruiting from a distance so I may not be correct in that figure.

My only point though goes to my feeling that if there is a scholarship for you to one of the top schools in Texas and you choose to respresent another state on the football field than you are no longer a Texan. Their choice of schools isn't the same as someone else who will simply be going and sitting in a classroom. They are choosing a place knowing full well that they are respresenting that school, not just attending it.

13. Vote For Pedro

OK, I reread my original post and see that I did refer to Mack by saying "pre-MB years". However that wasn't to serve as a critique of him but simply to give a reference to the time frame I was referring to. I should have said late 80's and most of the 90's.

14. Bundy

Bundy 100+ Posts

Mack's 2008 recruiting class mistakes:

(1) Not offering Andrew Luck
    (2) Not offering Joseph Ibolye
    (3) Newton instead of McGuffie/Gray
    (4) Slow-playing KLM and Rod Davis

Other than that, nothing to get excited about. ANother top 10 class.

15. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Well..on one hand I think it's completely wrong for a texas-bred player to go out of state when offered the chance to play at Texas or another texas school.

On the other hand, this is a business decision for a lot of these guys and they need to go where they feel they will be able to play the most...and thus make more money in the NFL.

If it was just state pride, I don't think may would leave. But there are a lot of things that go into making this decision and I think staying true to the home team is on the bottom of that list now.

16. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

Bundy,

I imagine that Mack is looking towards the 09 class to fill QB (probaby taking 2 qbs) needs so the Luck thing is no big deal. The others we really don't know the circumstances. Rod may still become a horn anyways. KLM doesn't want to sit for 3 years probably so I doubt we get him. Chauncey was a much bigger loss at DE.

17. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

Who are some of you expecting to commit in order to make this a top 10 class?

I was really down on this class until the last few weeks and watching some of them in all star games made me feel ALOT better. With that being said I think it's an ok class but I don't like taking 5 running backs (6 if Scott changes his mind) and losing the top RB in the state and others to our rival. OU's success in Texas and overrall makes it harder as well to feel good about this class.

However, hopefully we get another 06,07 type class in 09 so that we don't have the problems like we did on the field this year.

18. Bundy

Bundy 100+ Posts

19. HornLivin

HornLivin 250+ Posts

I also am pretty pleased with the class. There is a lot more to this class than what shows in the Rivals100. Just thought I'd post since those are the guys that get all the attention. Don't forget about guys like Brewster, Hills, Grant, Randall, Buchanon...we have some incredible DBs and WRs coming in, as well as other need positions. Incredible speed and heart for some of these players. I seriously doubt anyone will be saying this was much of a down-class for MB in a couple years. I also do not even blink about Luck when you look at guys like Shepard/Gilbert/Rollison in '09. Let's close with Moore and Scott! [​IMG]

20. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

Texas will not end up w/ a top 10 recruiting class w/out adding Scott.

21. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

probably not depending on what other people below us do.

22. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

23. HornLivin

HornLivin 250+ Posts

Final 250 just released as well now. 6 more Horns from 101-250, giving us 11 in the top 250. Having over half our commits in the top 250 is pretty damn good. For whatever reason a guy like DJ Grant is a top 25 guy at ESPN, just not high on Rivals. By comparison OU has 12 in the top 250 so far, aggy with 5, Colorado with 6, USC with 1, Ohio St. with 11, LSU with 9, Bama with 11, Georgia with 12, Florida with 10. As far as I can tell Notre Dame had the most with 15.

Rivals250

Other Notables
    121. Chancey Aghayere
    136. Justin Johnson
    150. Jon Major
    153. Daniel Campbell
    160. Mark Buchanan*
    177. Tony Jerod
    178. Aundre Dean
    180. David Snow*
    196. Jeremy Hills*
    216. Nolan Brewster*