Fire Fox: Poor Performance?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Texas_Rocks, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

I've never really had all the problems with IE that a lot of people here have, but I recently thought i would give FF a try and see what all the fuss is about.

While i do admit, the extensions and what not are cool, but for some reason the performance has been horrible. By far the slowest browser i've ever used with Road Runner service.

Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas as to what the problem is?

2. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

I have no problems with speed. The only problems I ever run into are that some sites (like my brokerage site) require IE and that sometimes a page doesn't load everything (like graphical links that produce pop out menus).

It's still better than the current IE if for no other reasons than the extensions and tabbed browsing!

3. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

I have no problems with Firefox at work, but at home, there is a huge memory leak with it. I guess it must be conflicting with some other program or something.

4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Firfox has a major memory issue if you leave multiple tabs open with pages that include dynamic links. Basically, Firefox continually checks the pages for updates taking all along using more cache. There is a setting in Firefox that turns this feature off.

Hellraiser- There is a cool extension for Firefox that allows you to open a page a tab using IE. I use it all the time to open a few financial sites.

5. TyphoonSe7en

TyphoonSe7en 100+ Posts

6. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

7. schnarkle

schnarkle 500+ Posts

check your task manager processes. Sometimes a firefox crash can stay resident in memory so you will have two firefox processes. That can slow you down a lot.

8. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

seattle husker - what's that option? the memory leak is the worst.

i've had a lot of problems with my FF crashing at home. reinstalled and it's still doing it. is one of the extensions causing this?

9. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Recently my Firefox has started locking up when I exit the program. When I come back, I get the "Firefox is still open but is not responding" and I have to go into Task Manager and kill the process manually. Really annoying.

10. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

11. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Adblock
    Filterset.G Updater
    All-in-one Gestures
    BugMeNot
    1-click weather
    super dragandgo
    dictionary search
    pdf download
    webmailcompose
    restart firefox
    yahoo mail notifier
    ietab

12. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

13. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

Mine was crashing a LOT just a month or two ago. I finally found out it crashed when I left it on espn.com. I didn't really change anything knowingly, but it doesn't crash anymore. I wish I knew what changed. espn.com still causes a leak. What's that option to stop it refreshing?

14. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

One of the features Firefox has that supposedly makes it faster in browsing is that it stores a cache of every site you've been to until you close it down, so taxes your memory progressively higher. Mine will start out around 25mb of memory and after an hour of browsing be up to 80mb or so. This can slow down your computer somewhat.

But oh, how I love BugMeNot. [​IMG]

15. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

16. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

17. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

All Things Mozilla

This page has good tweaks. Notice there is a tweak to fix the memory leak in Mozilla 1.0.

18. dustin_c1

dustin_c1 250+ Posts

19. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

20. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

21. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

22. 7out

7out 100+ Posts

I ditched Firefox and now use Opera. I can live without the extensions and Opera is much faster, at least on my pos computer.

23. Mr Bean

Mr Bean 100+ Posts

7out - based on what you said, I DLed Opera last night - and I don't think I'll ever go back to Firefox. Good stuff. Thanks.

24. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

Opera is much faster for "resource limited" computers.

25. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts