Fire or Retain Part Two

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by theiioftx, Dec 12, 2020.

?

Fire CDC and Herman

Poll closed Dec 19, 2020.
  1. Fire both now

15.0%
  2. Fire both next season

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Retain CDC but not Herman

50.0%
  4. Keep them both

35.0%
  1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Given CDC’s announcement, what does HornFans think!

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

If there’s not an alternative available that seems very likely to be an improvement, what should CDC do?

If he dumped Herman now for some unproven replacement and we got even worse next year, fans and donors would lose their collective **** in an epic fashion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Culture eats strategy for breakfast. The culture created by Herman and placated by CDC is toxic. Recruiting is going south and alumni are quickly removing support. We will be the new Nebraska. Bring in the Lake Travis high school coach for all I care.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I thought Yurcich may have been a good option. But I have little to go on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Everyone at the University who's title is not Athletic Director should stay in their lane and let CDC work this

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

My problem is, I have seen this show 2 times already. A very unpopular coach is retained for one year too many (Akers and Mackovic), the first time the opposing team gets a first down or the offense has to punt, most of the stadium erupts in boos and the season is lost. Oh well, another 5 years lost. At least 2022 recruiting probably wont be worse than 2021.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well.......
    In other posts I’ve set forth a proven alternative who would coach much better than Herman, who has repeatedly kicked a$$ in the Big 12 with absurdly inferior talent, and who, no doubt, would be hungry for the job if approached. He mostly draws laughs—I guess because of his significant stature, his heavy presence in the coaching world, and the large shadow he casts (among ex coaches).

I’ll stop mentioning Mangino after this post, but dang he would make us champions.

8. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I will mention that I think Herman is the most hated coach ever at Texas. He had similar popularity to Mackovic, but then he surpassed that with his handling of the Eyes of Texas. I guess there are 25 million reasons to keep him, but there dam sure are not 25,000,001 reasons to keep him. What a disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Just to make sure I have my calendar correct, you would have fired Mackovic in 1996. Now, would you have done that the week after "Roll Left" making us Big 12 Champions, which was his third straight conference title? Or maybe a couple of weeks later when he was preparing the team for the Fiesta Bowl, his second straight Tier One bowl appearance, when he was the hottest coaching commodity in the country? The separation after the 1997 season was in the best interest of both parties and given that he stuck around on the payroll for two more seasons was one of the more interesting episodes of our colorful athletic department's history.

I too was around, and a season ticket holder, for the ugly final years and horrible handling of Coach Akers tenure, but to suggest that the proper follow up to that would have been to fire John Mackovic while accepting the Big 12 Championship trophy, seems like a deeply flawed vision.

But hey, that's just me.

:cowrose:

• Like Like x 3
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

My thoughts are that Meyer either wasn't read to commit and the money wasn't right because to pay Meyer the salary he wanted could not be done due to the three years salary we would have had to pay Tom.

11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

No doubt that Art Briles would be the absolute best choice to coach this team.
    He's a proven successful coach who has learned a lesson in how to not handle a bad situation but to be proactive and forthcoming. I'm sure he's been kicking himself in the butt for the way he handled that situation and has learned the value of discipline.
    He would turn things around as quickly as Meyer.
    Of course though, we're not going to let him be our coach. I just really believe he is our best choice. I was glad that he got canned at the time because his teams were kicking butt.

12. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I would have fired him on the sidelines after the Rice game. But hey, I hate losers, that's just me.

13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Undisciplined and emotional move to fire Herman without Urban waiting in the wings. Putting our hatred aside for Herman one more season will serve us best.....less time in purgatory. We can’t continue with training wheel hires. No one other than Urban is a sure bet out there right now. This is the right business move and I’m pretty sure CDC knows that, even though he doesn’t like it either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Apparently he’s mean to his players. We just don’t tolerate that here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

16. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Some of you guys would shoot your wife and the kids if she strayed a bit

we are stuck with Herman for at least a year so get a grip and pray he becomes the second coming of St Darrell. If not he goes when the next Annointed appears

come to think of it the bed wetters kicked Royal to the curb too

17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

You know, man, the whole bed wetters thing is just tired at this point. Can no one have a different opinion than you without being given that label?

18. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Or put on ignore? :)
    Some of the least open minded sure cry when opposed.