Fire Tom Herman

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Austin_Bill, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have absolutely no idea what that means except maybe some change is coming. I've calmed down a bit, after all the pissed off posts I've made.

I've always liked TH, but he is about to lose everything he is building because this team is losing games and is on a skid that they can't seem to come out of. We got lucky and beat Kansas only because we got the ball last.

It's funny, when I saw the blowu defense absolutley own our offense like they did, my first thought was were they stealing our signals, then TCU owned us as well they aren't stealing crap we are so predictable it's like watching David McWilliams offense all over again. So far this year we have 3 losses but only one was to a team with more talent on the field. I don't know where the disconnect is, but the buck stops with leadership. Before Kansas, I have backed our coaches all the way. but kansas gave me pause on our DC now TCU makes me want to blow this whole thing up.

Tom wants to be up there with Dabo Sweeney and Nick Saban, well he better realize he isn't getting there with this staff. Hand was a great hire, but we have other offensive coaches who need to go. Giles was a good hire, but we have other defensive coaches that need to go. As of right now, I'd walk Wareheim, and let Beaty take over TEs and special teams. I'd walk Orlando and let Ash take over. Everyone else is on notice. DB and Wr coaches are on notice. Beck is on notice as well, the only reason I don't walk Beck is because it's too difficult to switch OC in the middle of the season But once the season is over a complete reshuffle is not off the table.

Next season Tom has no excuses left, he has no skins on the wall to save himself. He is no longer dealing with Charlie's kids he is 100% his recruits and he needs to be held accountable. We have more talent than any time since Mack's glory days, we have a senior QB and lots of talent in the QB room. The only thing this team is missing is leadership from our coaches.

Why does this feel like 4 years ago and I'm talking about Charlie Strong again....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I’m going to wait to see the results of the next four games before I burn my couch....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. zuckercanyon

Also want to add that Herman is currently 22-13 in 2 2/3 seasons with a couple of bowl wins.....not too bad considering where we were when he got here....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I would not be surprised if 2-3 new players from last years or even this years class are hurting chemistry in the locker room. I have a 16 & 19 year old daughter and that generation draws conclusions that are absolutely void of reality. Like for example “start me now coach”. And when it’s a no not yet. **** storm.

You get a kid that thinks it’s about them only, and they can tear apart a team. I admit this is speculating but I have hired and trained a large number of young men 21-25 yrs old and my own kids. I have seen one bad apple ruin a lot. Our culture is not what it was when all of us were growing up. I would bet good money this is close to what Tom is dealing with. The O and D schemes may be part of it. He’s earning his paycheck these next two weeks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Going to be a long bye week for Texas and its fans. Calling for Herman's head is just wrong but I get it and I get the frustration with how this team can be this bad in defense and special teams. There need to be some changes but not at the HC position.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

No, I don’t think Hornsfans is running off recruits, “dude”. I participate in Hornsfans because, unlike some of the other message boards, for the most part the partipants are knowlegeble and/or fair to the Texas athletic programs and the other posters. It is a good board and we all hope that recruits will read.

But when so many fans light their hair on fire over three losses in the football program, to include some posters on Hornsfan, and immediately call for the head coach’s firing, they can and and will have a negative effect on recruiting. All of the other team’s fans, recruiters and the Kirk Bohls love this talk and use it for their negative attacks on Texas. It becomes ONE of the reasons for losing recruits.

Winning is important and recruits want to play for winning programs. A falloff in play on the field can be explained to a recruit (it might be a conversation on the recruit’s chance for early play), but some might leave anyway because their desire to play for Texas is not that strong. But when you start a movement to fire the coach they commited to play for, the exodus gets bigger. I simply do not think these public conversations to fire Tom are healthy. His performance should be reviewed at the end of every year by his boss with appropriate action taken. Fans certainly have the right to comment on coaching and the play on the field, as long as they don’t get too personal with individual players.

That’s all I was saying, “dude”.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

That is all fine and dandy except that the team seems to be coming apart at the seams and regressing. Everyone was happy with Mack Brown until 1999 NC State and the OU disaster in 2000. Finally got to the promised land, but does TH have that in him? Remains to be seen.

8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think the street runners and reps for the other schools (OU, TA&M, LSU etc) probably send out detailed bullets on our teams troubles. Do they quote fan sites? Maybe... if they do I could see how it might sway a recruit because if the true orangebloods are turning on the staff then that's somewhat of a canary in the coal mine.

9. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

aTm should not be included in this list. Have you checked their BB?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Akers had two 11-1 seasons and had to deal with the worst cheating in history. He was a good coach who got kicked for years before Being invited back in the tent.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

No I've not. Not sure what their BB has to do with runners/coaches alerting our recruits and others as to our troubles.

12. Horns or Nothing

Horns or Nothing < 25 Posts

Sam plays with heart every game. The O is just tired of carrying the D. The solution is obvious, Tom needs to fire his friends and hire people who earned the right to coach the Horns. Lets start the firing with the special teams coach and D coord. Then Tom needs to call the plays. Then lets see what happens.

13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I want to know how a now heathy Kirk Johnson stays positive. Must be a great kid - play him!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Horns or Nothing

Horns or Nothing < 25 Posts

Sam plays with heart every game. The O is just tired of carrying the D. The solution is obvious, Tom needs to fire his friends and hire people who earned the right to coach the Horns. Lets start the firing with the special teams coach and D coord.Then Tom needs to call the plays. Then lets see what happens.

15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I don't think the O is tired of carrying the D. I think Sam is trying too hard to make plays and that is why he is taking chances he normally wouldn't take. In some ways I think he got fooled by the TCU defense but in others I think he just wants to score so he is making bad decisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I think it was a combination of their secondary being well coached and Sam being frustrated about our receivers not getting separation consistently

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. zuckercanyon

Seems to be coming apart and IS coming apart will probably be better comprehended after our last game this season (regular before bowl, then we can do it again after our bowl game). My HO......

18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

^^^ THIS!

Quite honestly, if I was a recruit, I would be unsure about a program that DID NOT have a fanbase with exacting standards. I would WANT to be going to a program that DEMANDS excellence from anyone wearing the school colors. I would WANT a fanbase that KNOWS the sport in which the player is being recruited. I would WANT to be part of a program that DEMANDS excellence from anyone who steps on the field, regardless of game significance or whether it was only a practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

thought you were sayimg recruits were monitoring what fans were saying on this site. If not, my bad, which would not be unusual.

20. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Or maybe a fanbase that will support you through the good and bad. But never a program that is in the process of firing the coach over the next two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Chin, to me this is blaming the messenger, particularly with regard to Bohls. In my judgment he tells it like it is, to his obvious detriment because many of the fans and certainly Herman hate him for it.

I doubt many fans really want to see TH fired at this point. To me it would make no sense. But as I have opined ad nauseam, if the dude would just swallow his pride and show some humility, life would probably be much easier. In that respect he is his own worst enemy.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and the defense's excuse for KU was they ran plays that were not on tape.

Those two excuses are on the coaches. The defense should always have a base defense to revert to when the unexpected occurs.

23. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I hope your are right but it seems that some live on the negative, and to be fair, I only know from what others tell me about Bohls being negative about every Texas coach.
    We need for Tom to be successful and he is not taking these losses lightly. His press conferences after a game loss are much more intense than those of the following Monday. The boy really hates losing. And so do the fans, eh?
    Thanks for your comments.

• Like Like x 1
  24. zuckercanyon

Lincoln Riley's postgame Kstate presser was awesome. He said "winning on the road is hard"......7-1, can't beat K-State with a new coach, fire his ***.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. horninchicago

Yeah, the difference is he says it coming off beating Texas 2 weeks ago, 2 consecutive Big XII Titles and Heisman winners, and a CFP appearance.

• Like Like x 2
  26. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Would love to know if they switched squads what would the results be. Personally I think OU has more talented players at the skill positions, just saying.

27. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Miles changed OC mid-season. Worked well for him at Kansas...Nearly beat us and beat Tech.

• Hot Hot x 1
  28. zuckercanyon

ya think OU fans are pleased with "winning on the road's hard"?

• Like Like x 1
  29. horninchicago

Who knows. Don't care. They'll get over it real quick thoughwhen they steamroll all their opponents from here and put up 50-60+ points, anoint a 3rd consecutive Heisman winner, win the Big XII, and make the CFP. They may be pissed when they lose in the CFP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

You got that bent out of shape over the word "dude"? Good grief. I've been watching Texas football for 50+ years and I don't have that many more decades to go. I go through another decade in the wilderness I may not remember one after that. One reason I want this fixed in a short time frame.

The reason the DE decommitted was because of the scheme. That's what he said so I'll take him at his word. This scheme is tough on a DE. Hard to get the edge if you're inside the tackle but with 3 down lineman you can't play too far outside or the middle is wide open to the run. I just hate this scheme. Got Stoops fired and TO should learn from that. It's not that OU didn't have talent, they had the wrong scheme. It blows my mind that both TO and TH can't see it. In year 3 we should see more than we have. I really thought this was the year. Every team except us and Baylor were breaking in a new QB where we had a 3 year starter. Injuries are a large part of it, but not the only part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1