First Texas-OU rematch since 1903

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Ajo Macho, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

The series was home-and-home. Texas and OU played to a 6-6 tie in Austin, then Texas won the rematch 11-5 in Norman.

The game in Austin was played at Clark Field.
    The game in Norman was played at Boyd Field.
    The Cotton Bowl wouldn't be built for another 27 years.
    Texas had only recently started to go by the nickname "Longhorns" and was more frequently called "Varsity".
    OU hadn't yet adopted the "Sooners" nickname.
    Oklahoma wasn't a state.
    The series had started only three years prior. Before the tie in 1903, Texas had won all four matchups, including the first-ever rematch in 1901.

After 1901 and 1903, this will be the third same-season rematch between Texas and OU, and the first since it became a rivalry. We haven't lost a rematch yet.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

In my best Mills Lane voice.
    “Any questions from this side, any questions from this side?”
    Claps his hands.
    “Let’s get it on”

• Like Like x 3
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The good olé days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Umm...you mean 'ol days...ole is what our defense does too often this year...and THAT needs to stop and stop NOW!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

It is VERY difficult to beat a good team twice in the same season. I really wanted WVU for that reason.
    This will likely come down to who has the worst defense and right now, this looks like a toss up. Our tackling regressed yesterday back to earlier season levels. Or so it seemed to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What time is it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

We haven’t beaten the gooners twice in a season since 1903? Well, that’s too long partner.

Wonder how long it took to take a train from Norman to Austin back then? I remember traveling with my mom from Amarillo to Knoxville by train in the 50s. It took the better part of 3 days, as I remember it.

It’s amazing that teams like Notre Dame traveled all around the country to play football back then.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe 0849 and ou still sucks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I call BULL CRAP on this!!! we know how to do it....we did it in spades and should have won by FOUR TOUCHDOWNS....but, we had three frick'n holding calls that took us out of drives that they could not stop....

BEAT THE HELL outta o.u. !!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I'm uphauled that you could be such an idoit...

It is, in fact, 1112...a point on the clock at which OUStillSucks...

:coolnana::ousucksnana::ousucks:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Browns rumors still alive as of the ou-WVU game --

"There’s been speculation connecting Riley to the Cleveland Browns coaching vacancy, and a certain spectator at Friday’s game may only add to that.

Browns general manager John Dorsey was spotted on OU’s sideline during warmups.

Cleveland parted ways with head coach Hue Jackson in October. Riley’s offensive system, plus his former QB Baker Mayfield leading the Browns, has fueled the rumors...."

Riley on late fourth down: ‘Felt like it was the right thing to do’

• Like Like x 1
  12. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts