First Trip in a Looooooong Time

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by UTexRulz23, Aug 29, 2021.

1. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

My wife and I and our two kids (4 and 8) have FINALLY solidified plans to come to Austin for Labor Day. I don’t think we’ll be able to actually go the game (tickets are getting expensive for all of us) but wondered about the pre-game atmosphere around the stadium. Any advice? It’s been YEARS (like a lot of them) since I’ve been in Austin during a game. Any advice, tips, etc. especially on managing kids?

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

There are essentially no "organic" tailgates anywhere near the stadium. Everything within almost a mile of DKR is sponsored, corporate, or UT programmed.

Not to say you can't have a good time down there; just don't expect a friendly stranger to wave you over and offer a free beer and a brisket taco.

3. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Go online at TexasSports and look up the Game Day activities that are planned outside the stadium starting 3-4 hours before game time. There are places to get food, drink and activities. Smokeys Midway has rides and games like a mini State Fair. Activities start at 11am and parking lots open at 7am. Lots of family type entertainment.
    Gameday
    Game tix are available for $40 and up thru the site.
    My guess is that you can get tix outside the stadium for $30+/-
    Stubhub today is $27 and up
    $30 each inside the stadium and see what seats are empty after kickoff. You can look up the unsold tix online for an idea of what is available.
    The Texas Exes has a pkg deal to watch the game at their facility with food and drink in a tailgate atmosphere that is pretty reasonable for non members.

Go Horns!

• Like Like x 1
  4. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

5. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Thank you! Found much more affordable seats! Thanks for helping out!

6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

they do in Morgantown. lol every tailgate will give you the horns down. you give them the hookem sign back. they invite you over to taste THEIR moonshine which is better than everyone else's and then feed you. walk down a bit. lather, rinse, repeat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

So, how was the experience? Assume your family attended the game.

Suspect you found a lot of changes around game day? Bevo Blvd., stadium growth & upgrades, etc.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

How did you like the "new Austin"?

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Answering for myself: :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

yeah the game day changes were great. It was cool actually seeing CDC walking around and visiting with people. Kids loved the rides and games. I loved the food trucks and the drinks. Fun stuff for sure.

Game was great but hotter than hell on the stadium east side.

11. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

didn’t get to see much. But I’ll be back!